• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

is a poncho enough or do i need a jacket as well in May

Nigel Rosewell

Time of past OR future Camino
never walked the Camino before
I'm walking on 23 May, My backpack weights 8kg. I want to get the weight down a little as I'm walking the whole the whole route. I have a Poncho and a fleece do I need my light-weight Goretex jacket as well.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There will be many opinions on this, across the Forum. But, from my Camino experience, I can cut to the proverbial chase...
  1. If you are wet and warm, this is not necessarily a bad thing.
  2. If you are wet and cold, it is ALWAYS a bad thing.
Thus, you want (IMHO) to have enough outer garments and variety to level according to need.

If the day is raw, or there is a ground fog or drizzle (a common thing in May), I usually add over the fleece, my international orange Marmot lightweight wind and rain parka, with the pit-zips open all the way to vent perspiration. You WILL get drenched from perspiration. But, as stated at the outset, warm and wet is good, sometimes VERY good. But cold and wet always leads to a bad situation. I had hypothermia my first year out. All of the information contained here was gleaned from three Caminos, all in the late April through end of May timeframe.

If it starts to rain or snow continuously (as opposed to "spitting") I usually add my Sea-to-Summit siliconized nylon ultra-lightweight poncho (lime green). The poncho is well ventilated, weighs nearly nothing (truly), and provides protection to me and the rucksack. FYI, you can have snow at elevations above about 700 meters into late May.

If perspiration becomes a problem, I can rearrange these three basic outerwear layers to suit. For example, if cold but not overly wet from perspiration, I might put the orange Marmot parka away, retaining the fleece and the poncho. If the sun comes out, and the Spanish sun is always hot, the fleece might get packed away as well, leaving the poncho over the polo-shirt.

Here is my layering scheme:

Over my Underarmour short-sleeve polo shirt (favored over a t-shirt because the collar can be turned up to help protect the exposed neck), I first put on a North Face zip-front Polar Tec fleece jacket. It is light grey. This is usually every morning, as early morning temperatures even in May, can be 4-6 degrees Celsius when you first start out.

Also, I use a neon lime-yellow, Adidas "Adizero" ball cap (seen in my Avatar photo to the left) as a bill to extend the poncho hood. Conversely, wearing an around-the-head wide brimmed sunhat under a poncho channels precipitation to the rear of your head, down your back, and into everything, including your rucksack, via the back panel. Sun hats should be worn in hot sunny weather. I carry both a ball cap and a sun hat (folded until needed).

In addition to this, I carry a microfiber Buff in a rear-side pocket. Actually I carry two, one to each rear-side pocket. I can give one to a needy pilgrim, or have two to cover up. I have also used a Buff as an expedient compression bandage. I fell on my head on Camino #2 and bled like a proverbial stuck pig. My error was in hopping over a wire fence with my rucksack on, bad balance, dumb idea. I placed a full packet of tissues under the Buff to hold it in place. It worked perfectly! So, carrying two is a good idea. It was a tiny wound, put being on my head, it bled profusely until it clotted over some hours later. BTW, I now carry wound clotting powder as well in my first aid kit.

If it turns unusually cold or raw, OR if I have to sleep someplace with inadequate heating, I also have a one quart / liter ziplock bag with a neon-yellow microfleece watch / beanie cap and a pair of microfiber Champion brand runner's gloves with reflective strips. I bought the cap at a Carhartt work clothing dealer and the gloves, inexpensively, in a Target department store. Again, a LOT of protection for not much weight.

NOTE: You might have noticed that I favor bright, safety-like colors in my outerwear, where possible. That is intended to provide a high degree of unnatural contrast against my surroundings so I can be readily seen when road walking. On my first Camino, I favored flashing LED lights on me and my walking sticks. But, this is redundant weight compared to just choosing bright safety colors that do not exist in the environment. So, by Camino #3, I ditched the extra weight in favor of dressing like a tropical bird. Combined with strips of 3M reflective tape on my walking sticks, it seems to do the trick. The oncoming drivers may die of laughter at seeing "the walking parrot," but they WILL see and avoid me. And THAT my friends is what matters.

No, I do not care what I look like. I would prefer being seen and avoided than have to explain to my family why I left vertical and returned horizontal...or worse... besides, my trousers are muted colors, and my fleece jacket is grey. So, once I get where I am headed, I can tune-down my color temperature...;)

I am now packing to leave for Madrid in one week, Monday 4 April, to walk from Madrid to Sanitago, starting on 7 April. Everything I mentioned above is now spread on my living room floor, in addition to a myriad of other stuff, waiting to be checked off my list, packed and arranged in my rucksack.

I hope this helps.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm walking on 23 May, My backpack weights 8kg. I want to get the weight down a little as I'm walking the whole the whole route. I have a Poncho and a fleece do I need my light-weight Goretex jacket as well.

I'd forget about the poncho and the fleece - a merino wool shirt and Goretex pac-lite should be fine

I used a poncho and an eVent shell. The shell was useful around town and in colder mornings or cold rain.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I used only a poncho and a sweat shirt on vdlp last may

Poncho or goretex jacket. Bringing both is overkill.

You need a raincover (or liner) for your pack when bringing just the jacket.

Like I said at the outset, this is a "belly-button" issue everyone has one...an opinion. That said, some of the contrary comments can be better clarified thusly:

- Everyone has personal comfort points. Some folks can tolerate being cold and wet. I cannot. I quickly get bronchitis, and hypothermia.

- Some people run cool, some hot. I like to be "just right." Only you know your 'set point."

- Clothing along the Camino is VERY expensive and sizes are not always available. Plus, Spanish sizes (for men) run at least two sizes small, as per labelling. So my US XL size pullover, becomes an XXL or even a XXXL in Spain. On my first two Caminos, I NEEDED an additional fleece layer - yes TWO layers. I told you I needed to be warm.

So I now have an assortment of fleece pullovers. I have since invested in a synthetic down-style vest to keep my chest (core) warm under a layer. It weights less than a second fleece and is the size of a small coconut. So it is already packed for next week's departure form Madrid.

(EDIT) When I weighed my pack, I decided to swap out the synthetic, down-style vest for a long sleeve Underarmour t-shirt. It weighs half as much, and makes a fairly good additional under-layer, just in case. So the vest stays behind and the t-shirt comes, this time...

So, and as it is cheaper and easier to bring that extra items form home, I do so.

I respect everyone's opinion. But if I had a choice between an iPad or an extra warming layer, I go with personal safety and health every time. The Camino is NO PLACE to be nursing a cold or flu.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I want to get the weight down a little...
As others have mentioned, May can be damp and/or cool on some days. Goretex jackets can be surprisingly heavy, so one waterproof layer is likely all you'll want (ie, the poncho). Vests, especially synthetics, are lighter than full fleeces. And windshirts (very lightweight, thin fabric with minimal zippers, pockets, hoods) can add warmth over the vest for very little weight.

...I favor bright, safety-like colors in my outerwear, where possible. ...
I'm often amazed at the number of hikers who choose dark green or other rather subtle colors for their waterproofs. Perhaps this is a habit carried over from military training or from inexpensive army-surplus shops. But while camoflage may serve soldiers well, being seen and/or being found is more in the pilgrim's interest. Having a bright orange jacket saved my life - I had something to wave to attract the attention of the rescue squad.

I'm often amazed at the number of hikers who choose dark green or other rather subtle colors for their waterproofs. Perhaps this is a habit carried over from military training or from inexpensive army-surplus shops. But while camoflage may serve soldiers well, being seen and/or being found is more in the pilgrim's interest. Having a bright orange jacket saved my life - I had something to wave to attract the attention of the rescue squad.

Hi @Kitsambler,

Good point about dark green and subtle coloured waterproofs being less visible...

Based on the sound advice of @t2andreo and your good self, i plan to acquire a brighter (orange or red) pair of waterproofs to replace my dark green jacket for the camino i will undertake in May...

Thank you.

daniel

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
…and if you can’t find bright coloured ponchos, add some strips of reflective tape. You can find this by the roll at ‘safety’ shops, and then get it stitched on. It’s very important to be seen by motorists in the eaerly mornings. Also add a strip to the back of your pack.

Make sure the poncho you bring is a really good poncho- in January I loaned mine to another hiker while I was wore my goretex since I was conservative/extra safe and carried too much stuff. He had a torn poncho from the wind and he was miserable and wet and cold and trying to find a way to call a taxi. He actually had the wind shred two ponchos in two weeks (maybe both were plastic?). My siliconized nylon poncho (homemade) was great. A good poncho can cut the wind and rain so I think Goretex would just duplicate that and may not be necessary. But I would make sure you have extra dry layers to go underneath- You will get wet from perspiration (in goretex or a poncho) and i would think it would be more important to have two dry warm layers than two rain/wind layers. Buen Camino!

There will be many opinions on this, across the Forum. But, from my Camino experience, I can cut to the proverbial chase...
  1. If you are wet and warm, this is not necessarily a bad thing.
  2. If you are wet and cold, it is ALWAYS a bad thing.
Thus, you want (IMHO) to have enough outer garments and variety to level according to need.

If the day is raw, or there is a ground fog or drizzle (a common thing in May), I usually add over the fleece, my international orange Marmot lightweight wind and rain parka, with the pit-zips open all the way to vent perspiration. You WILL get drenched from perspiration. But, as stated at the outset, warm and wet is good, sometimes VERY good. But cold and wet always leads to a bad situation. I had hypothermia my first year out. All of the information contained here was gleaned from three Caminos, all in the late April through end of May timeframe.

If it starts to rain or snow continuously (as opposed to "spitting") I usually add my Sea-to-Summit siliconized nylon ultra-lightweight poncho (lime green). The poncho is well ventilated, weighs nearly nothing (truly), and provides protection to me and the rucksack. FYI, you can have snow at elevations above about 700 meters into late May.

If perspiration becomes a problem, I can rearrange these three basic outerwear layers to suit. For example, if cold but not overly wet from perspiration, I might put the orange Marmot parka away, retaining the fleece and the poncho. If the sun comes out, and the Spanish sun is always hot, the fleece might get packed away as well, leaving the poncho over the polo-shirt.

Here is my layering scheme:

Over my Underarmour short-sleeve polo shirt (favored over a t-shirt because the collar can be turned up to help protect the exposed neck), I first put on a North Face zip-front Polar Tec fleece jacket. It is light grey. This is usually every morning, as early morning temperatures even in May, can be 4-6 degrees Celsius when you first start out.

Also, I use a neon lime-yellow, Adidas "Adizero" ball cap (seen in my Avatar photo to the left) as a bill to extend the poncho hood. Conversely, wearing an around-the-head wide brimmed sunhat under a poncho channels precipitation to the rear of your head, down your back, and into everything, including your rucksack, via the back panel. Sun hats should be worn in hot sunny weather. I carry both a ball cap and a sun hat (folded until needed).

In addition to this, I carry a microfiber Buff in a rear-side pocket. Actually I carry two, one to each rear-side pocket. I can give one to a needy pilgrim, or have two to cover up. I have also used a Buff as an expedient compression bandage. I fell on my head on Camino #2 and bled like a proverbial stuck pig. My error was in hopping over a wire fence with my rucksack on, bad balance, dumb idea. I placed a full packet of tissues under the Buff to hold it in place. It worked perfectly! So, carrying two is a good idea. It was a tiny wound, put being on my head, it bled profusely until it clotted over some hours later. BTW, I now carry wound clotting powder as well in my first aid kit.

If it turns unusually cold or raw, OR if I have to sleep someplace with inadequate heating, I also have a one quart / liter ziplock bag with a neon-yellow microfleece watch / beanie cap and a pair of microfiber Champion brand runner's gloves with reflective strips. I bought the cap at a Carhartt work clothing dealer and the gloves, inexpensively, in a Target department store. Again, a LOT of protection for not much weight.

NOTE: You might have noticed that I favor bright, safety-like colors in my outerwear, where possible. That is intended to provide a high degree of unnatural contrast against my surroundings so I can be readily seen when road walking. On my first Camino, I favored flashing LED lights on me and my walking sticks. But, this is redundant weight compared to just choosing bright safety colors that do not exist in the environment. So, by Camino #3, I ditched the extra weight in favor of dressing like a tropical bird. Combined with strips of 3M reflective tape on my walking sticks, it seems to do the trick. The oncoming drivers may die of laughter at seeing "the walking parrot," but they WILL see and avoid me. And THAT my friends is what matters.

No, I do not care what I look like. I would prefer being seen and avoided than have to explain to my family why I left vertical and returned horizontal...or worse... besides, my trousers are muted colors, and my fleece jacket is grey. So, once I get where I am headed, I can tune-down my color temperature...;)

I am now packing to leave for Madrid in one week, Monday 4 April, to walk from Madrid to Sanitago, starting on 7 April. Everything I mentioned above is now spread on my living room floor, in addition to a myriad of other stuff, waiting to be checked off my list, packed and arranged in my rucksack.

I hope this helps.

"The oncoming drivers may die of laughter at seeing "the walking parrot, ..."

Parrots are beautiful, flying or walking! But I'll overlook the insult ... this time. ;)

Good info regarding gear.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Psycho Parrot, your avatar looks like me in my complete livery, except I think I am brighter...but I can be readily seen, even by a Spanish truck driver on speed... I may give him a fright, but he WILL see me.:eek:

The Camino is not a fashion parade. If my advice saves one life, or spares even one pilgrim injury, my mission is accomplished...:)

You dfin

You definitely need a jacket!

Make sure the poncho you bring is a really good poncho- in January I loaned mine to another hiker while I was wore my goretex since I was conservative/extra safe and carried too much stuff. He had a torn poncho from the wind and he was miserable and wet and cold and trying to find a way to call a taxi. He actually had the wind shred two ponchos in two weeks (maybe both were plastic?). My siliconized nylon poncho (homemade) was great. A good poncho can cut the wind and rain so I think Goretex would just duplicate that and may not be necessary. But I would make sure you have extra dry layers to go underneath- You will get wet from perspiration (in goretex or a poncho) and i would think it would be more important to have two dry warm layers than two rain/wind layers. Buen Camino!
Can you tell me how you made your poncho, and where you got your material? I'm really interested in making as much of my own gear as possible.

I don't have a poncho. I wear a waterproof jacket and have a good backpack cover. My wife likes one of those mummy ponchos that goes over everything. Looks too confining to me.

A very good point! That orange hump stands out better than green/gray, making rescue and/or recovery that much easier.

If you happen to end up with unseasonably cold and rainy weather, like I did in May of 2013, you will definitely want all three: fleece (or a light down jacket), rain jacket and poncho. Fleece mostly for the evenings (when your rain jacket and poncho may be soaked), but on some days I had all three layers on while walking, and I will always carry all three of these layers.

…and if you can’t find bright coloured ponchos, add some strips of reflective tape. You can find this by the roll at ‘safety’ shops, and then get it stitched on. It’s very important to be seen by motorists in the eaerly mornings. Also add a strip to the back of your pack.

Be careful sewing reflective tape to raingear, or you'll find you have leaky raingear. I'd probably limit it to just along the bottom edges, so any water that leaks in through the stitching won't be as much of a problem.

Most read last week in this forum

I have just boarded an Iberia flight to Madrid, and so far have seen two people come on with collapsed poles attached to their backpacks. The topic that never dies……
The standard response to what to do when you get bed bugs, is to wash and dry everything at 60 degrees. But if you do that to your silk sleeping bag liner or your merino socks or t shirts or down...
Does anyone have experience with the Patagonia Cool Daily long sleeve hoody on the Camino? Last summer on the Norte I wore the REI Sahara long sleeve t-shirt and while I liked it I found it a bit...
Hi, I'm off to CDN tomorrow but this is in my mind. I got the baggage transfer from from Correos and I will going to walk from Irun to Llanes this time, so my plan is to carry a 22lts day pack and...
The new "Experience" line from Altra looks interesting. Has anybody tried them yet? I will order a pair of Altra Experience Wild and report back after some day hikes. They have the traditional...
I have an iPhone 14 and got an eSIM one month contract with Orange when I arrived in Spain a month ago. Right away there were problems. It did most basic things, but I couldn’t use most WiFi...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back