• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is it possible to store backpack in the 2nd Albergue?

CWBuff

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances & Finisterre 05-07/22 Fran 26? d Nort 27?
Greetings Esteemed Fellow Members
A friend of mine will be walking Frances SJPdP to Burgos. She has 2 nights booked in SJPdP in 2 different albergues.
She is walking on Day 1 to The Virgin and then EB shuttle will pick her up and bring back to SJPdP (obviously Day 2 she'll take the shuttle back to The Virgin and continue on to Roncesvalles)
She was wondering if it is possible to have the backpack stored (either in 1st Albergue or - most likely the 2nd one) so she can do Day 1 ascend "lightweight" - only with her water bottle and some food.

Has anyone doe something like that or if not - any ideas if its possible? Of coourse the prudent thing is to ask of either hospitaleros \as but I was wondering if there is already an answer and can give her a quick heads-up

many thanks

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Firstly, she should try to get two nights at the same place!
If that's not possible, then it would be best to leave it at the second place. She can write to them and ask if that's possible.

Firstly, she should try to get two nights at the same place!
Would that be considered as "a plan"? 🤣🤣

Yes that would've been an optional but sadly she couldn't do that. So 2 albergues it is now and I basically told her the same thing - 2nd one would be more preferable. I reckon that contacting them beforhand will not hurt either

Thanks! 🙏

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think it was almost a spur of the moment and she starts mid-April
I don't "oversee" what she does, in some way we are on different financial levels and... she's young so...
I just try to provide a 'fatherly advice' here and there. :)

She did Sarria -->SdC in '22 thats how we met. Now she found herself with about 2 weeks of free time and decided to hit Frances again "from the beginning" ;). Figured she'd get to Burgos (which should be no problem). Basically asked me if I stopped at Orisson on Day 1 or went all the way to Roncesvalles. I told her I did stay at Orisson and suggested the same (for all the reasons we, who like to do that, like to do that)
Neither Orisson or Borda had room so I suggested EB back to SJ which was received as a great idea only she had to book 2nd albergue by "now"

and thats how it all went :p

She was wondering if it is possible to have the backpack stored (either in 1st Albergue or - most likely the 2nd one)
Hi, your friend is just going to have to check with both places.

Will the first place allow her to leave her bag there?

Will the second place allow her to drop off her bag at their place before she starts walking?

My experience is that many hospitaleros are not even there in the morning (pilgrims just get up and leave).

So I would think the first albergue is probably the better option.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I was also wondering if everything fails - is there a luggage storage of any sort (lockers, luggage room etc) at the station?

Ok, don't know if this is still the case, but the pilgrim office used to let you leave your bag there until the albergue opened. I don't know if that is still the case or if they will be open before she leaves.

Worst case, she will just have to take it with her...

Hi @CWBuff
This ‘planning ‘ all seems to be a lot of fluffing about. You say your friend is young and has the experience of Sarria to Sdc.

She would have lots of company walking all the way to Roncesvalles. She’s young and hopefully getting a few kilometres practice now. She should get a good rest on night 1. I’d just cancel the 2nd nights reservation and go for it. (I’m speaking for a healthy young person with no handicaps. / I couldn’t do it myself anymore 🤔) but I know many senior people who have done it without a problem.
Buen camino.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
She would have lots of company walking all the way to Roncesvalles. She’s young and hopefully getting a few kilometres practice now. She should get a good rest on night 1. I’d just cancel the 2nd nights reservation and go for it. (I’m speaking for a healthy young person with no handicaps. / I couldn’t do it myself anymore 🤔) but I know many senior people who have done it without a problem
I agree. I have a friend who forgot to make a reservation at Orisson for his second or third Camino and walked to Roncesvalles in one day when he was 76.

Hi @CWBuff
This ‘planning ‘ all seems to be a lot of fluffing about.
B-b-b-b-ut I LIKE to "fluff about" (as stated in a fatherly way). I mean there is no harm in asking. :rolleyes:
I agree. I have a friend who forgot to make a reservation at Orisson for his second or third Camino and walked to Roncesvalles in one day when he was 76.
AHHH! Yes! but we, the Senior Generation, we are different! We have seen WWII and the Depresion of 20s and 30s! We walked barefoot in the snow to school 20km uphill both ways so whats a 25km here...

;):)

Ladies I value your input! I hereby yield to your statements and shall pass the suggestions accordingly.

Merci beaucoup 🙏

I think Express Bourricot also offers a luggage storage service. At least that's what I understand from reading their website.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I helped out for a few weeks at one of the popular gites. I tried to help where possible but if a pilgrim was willing to wait until 3:00 when we opened to pick it up it was not a problem to leave the bag. We would have also tried to accommodate the request to drop off a bag as long as it was done before we closed at 8:30 am. As others have mentioned just ask the Gite ahead of time.

Most read last week in this forum

When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back