• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is Logrono worth spending a day off?

camster

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés 2023
I'm thinking about spending a day in Logrono, but I want to make sure it's as worth it as Pamplona, Leon, Burgos, and the likes. Are there restaurants or museums or wineries, etc. that should be visited?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It is the capital of Rioja (and the wine industry), and even vintage wines are inexpensive. It has a very attractive and historic downtown, with buildings from a wide variety of architectural eras. An amazing cemetery across the river from the main downtown area.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Most peregrinos seem to blow hurriedly on thru Logrono, but I've always liked it. Good place for a pause, IMHO. Logrono's one of those Camino towns that seems to say "Chill! There's more here than just the Camino! Real people live here!"

As noted above, the Calle Laurel and its tapas bars can provide a wonderful dining experience. And it has at least four historic and very interesting churches, if you're into churches like me. There may even still be a wine museum! The San Mateo wine festival in September is unforgettable. btw. As good a festival as you will find on the whole Frances. Did it in 2012, and loved every minute of it.

Ah, but how's this for a spectacular 'just-off-the-Camino' adventure? If you can hire a taxi for a few hours, "Clavijo is only 16k south of Logrono. The somber ruins of its castle stand sentinel over the fields where legend has it Santiago first appeared on his white horse to turn the tide against the Muslim occupation in 844. Clavijo thus became identified with the start of the reconquest...." {Brierley, 2019 ed., p. 97.]

Did it with some AMAWALKERS friends back in 2015. Nothing in the tiny village but the ruined castle, but the detour to explore it was totally worth it!

Last edited:
It’s nice enough. But there’s more than the tapas strip..

C.Laurel’s over before you know it. Nothing open before 2000 and pretty much closed at 2200.

Pamplona’s decent; but over-Hemingway’d and cursed with the July abomination.

The barrio-húmedo of Leon and c. San Lorenzo in Burgos (and their cathedrals) - superior in every way.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I stayed an extra day in 2015 and loved it! Went to the wine museum, walked around, but best of all is the famous Calle Laurel!

Can't really say as I have not spent more than a few hours there - lunch etc. But hey it may be what YOU need. Cheers

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have not spent a full day off, but I have lingered (recovered) from Calle Laurel the night before. I walked a short day after Logroño to Navarette
I prefer this approach over spending an extra day. I find that it breaks my Camino rhythm to spend two nights in one town.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you are passing thru in midweek I would say one night is good. If taking a side trip, add a day.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Apart from the town sites, and this may be a bit off the usual responses, but, there is a large shopping area, 3kms from centre or frequent number 9 bus - Centro Commercial Parque Rioja on the south west of town and it has a large Decathlon and a vast hypermarket, an Al Campo (the French Auchan), that sells Everything! from food, clothing, phones and sim cards, to bicycles and in the mall at least three sportswear shops, opticians, pharmacies, etc - so if one needs anything replacing or adding to pack .. stroll out there!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You could do wine tastings etc - it is the capital of La Rioja.

I had to spend the morning in Logrono sorting out some boring stuff - left around 1100/1130, and walked to Navarette. Quite glad I did that, in the end, as it made for a lovely relaxed afternoon and evening, almost felt like a rest day! So you could spend half a day exploring Logrono, and then make for Navarette instead of Najara.

EDIT:

Oops, just seen the OP posted this last May. Oh well, might be useful for others wondering about Logrono.

We went to the Ontañón winery which is a short bus ride from the city center. The tourist office, which I recall was on the Camino, told us which bus to take and made a reservation for us. When we arrived we found we were the only people on the tour. The twenty-something guide, Jesús, was very knowledgeable, but not at all haughty. We sampled four wines under his tutelage. Then he said "I've got to go to a meeting. Stay as long as you'd like." We indulged a little bit further and left four bottles on the table, all with a lot of wine left in them. Another unique thing that I remember is that Jesús thought a wine was "corked". Could we taste that it was slightly off? "No." He ordered another bottle of the same wine, same vintage. Comparing the two we understood that he had been correct. Memorable! (We paid about 12 euros each for the tour and that was in 2013.)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It is the capital of Rioja (and the wine industry), and even vintage wines are inexpensive. It has a very attractive and historic downtown, with buildings from a wide variety of architectural eras. An amazing cemetery across the river from the main downtown area.
I was just going to add that I loved Logrono for all the reasons mentioned already, and in addition, that cemetery IS amazing!
You could take a trip out to the bodega of Marquis de Riscal - the architecture is beautiful, designed by the same architect as the Guggenheim in Bilbao and the wine tour is fantastic- plus you get tasters at the end.
Wow, I just looked this up and it definitely looks like a "must see"!
Screenshot_20240412-190022~2.png

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm thinking about spending a day in Logrono, but I want to make sure it's as worth it as Pamplona, Leon, Burgos, and the likes. Are there restaurants or museums or wineries, etc. that should be visited?Bert
Logroño is smaller than Pamplona , you decide,,, Pamplona 2 days to taste the old part of the city its okk,,,

Last edited by a moderator:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back