• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is Madrid Chamartín Station Open at Night?

The Cumbrian

Time of past OR future Camino
Primitivo.
St James Way, England.
I'm flying to Madrid on Saturday evening, and then catching a train from Madrid Chamartín early on Sunday morning.
To those who have been to both, is it better to spend the night in the airport or the train station? I've slept in both many times over the years, and airports are always more restful, but the train station means that I don't have to get to anywhere else in the morning.

Cheers, Michael.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Chamartin's not a place you want to spend a night. But there's a hotel literally on top of the station. If it's too much for your budget, I'd say go for the airport.

There are fewer in inexpensive hostels and hotels near Chamartin. I prefer to stay out by the airport and then go back to the airport and take the C1 or C10 to Chamartin in the morning. (I stay on Marriott points so usually don't have to pay.) There are quite a few more economical hostels near Atocha and also some Marriotts so I have stayed down there as well.

If you already have your ticket, you will normally get a free transfer on the Cercanias Combinado a few hours before your train. If you are staying near the airport or Atocha, you can use that to get to Chamartin in the morning without and additional transfer charge. Your ticket should say Cercianias Combinado on it somewhere (either printed or on your phone.)
Here is a link about it, however, in Madrid, there are actually scanner at the turnstiles (at least one per entrance) so you don't have to get a separate ticket from the machine. There is usually an attendant near who can help.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Well, several webpages report Chamartin closed between 0:30 and 4:30 at night.

The first Cercanias train leaves the airport terminal T4 on Sunday morning at 6:02 and arrives at Chamartin just 15 minutes later. Then every 15 minutes there is either C-1 or C-10. If you spend the night at the airport at T4 terminal near the Cercanias platforms, it is almost as if you slept at the Chamartin train station ;-) and your transfer is free starting 4 hours before the departure of your long distance train.

I spent the night in Manchester Piccadilly once in the mid 90s, and it was eventful. I'd been dropped off there after a few months abroad on my first overseas job, and when I went to the cash machine I discovered that I'd forgotten my PIN. I couldn't get my dad to buy me a ticket over the phone until the next morning, so I settled in for the night.

Did I mention that I had three large bags with me? That meant that I couldn't wander around too far from them. Once the clubs closed at daft o'clock, the party goers had to get home, and thankfully they weren't driving. Every single method of intoxication known at the time was represented. From the dancers and twitchers to the stumblers, clueless, ranters and fighters.

I had many brief, entertaining chats, and some longer and more meaningful conversations. Eventually the insanity subsided though, and there were only a handful of people left waiting.

I'd been able to keep hold of my gear (I carried more muscle in those days, and I was very short on patience after the first time that someone tried to nick my stuff). After all that, I wasn't in the best mood, and just wanted to be left alone until i got on the train, which was still several hours away.

There'd been a bloke wandering around for ages though, often disappearing for a while and then returning, only to resume walking around in various sized circles. He was probably about 20 years older than me and slighter, but wiry and fit looking. Unfortunately he took a very sudden dislike to a young woman (she looked to be about the age i was at the time, 23). She fought back really hard, but he was taller and stronger. I ran over and dragged him off her, and he redirected his attack onto me. He didn't hold back either, and it took a lot to subdue him; I had to properly chin him in end, until he was knocked out.
One of the bystanders who hadn't been paying attention threatened to call the police on me, and I told her to do that. The guy I'd fought was starting to come around, and would soon become a handful again, so I reminded her to call the police. They arrived about 20 minutes later, but by this point I'd released crazy man after sitting on him for a while, but he hadn't gone far. The police soon picked him up, as he'd resumed his walking in circles.

I had to give a statement to the British Transport Police several months later, and then I heard nothing more. Just a random story about a weird night a few years ago.

As much as I enjoyed it at the time, I'd much prefer to avoid that kind of bother these days, so recommendations for places to stay near the station would be great.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well, several webpages report Chamartin closed between 0:30 and 4:30 at night.

The first Cercanias train leaves the airport terminal T4 on Sunday morning at 6:02 and arrives at Chamartin just 15 minutes later. Then every 15 minutes there is either C-1 or C-10. If you spend the night at the airport at T4 terminal near the Cercanias platforms, it is almost as if you slept at the Chamartin train station ;-) and your transfer is free starting 4 hours before the departure of your long distance train.

That's the perfect answer, muchas gracias.

I slept on the floor with 2 other nurses in Stansted 20+ years ago after a crazy story about missing a flight at Bornemouth and taking a bus to London and a cab to 2 airports trying to get back to Germany so we could be on duty the next day at the US hospital and not AWOL. Used some UK wool military uniforms I bought at a boot sale to keep warm on the marble floor. Didn't have to fight anyone, though.

I slept on the floor with 2 other nurses in Stansted 20+ years ago after a crazy story about missing a flight at Bornemouth and taking a bus to London and a cab to 2 airports trying to get back to Germany so we could be on duty the next day at the US hospital and not AWOL. Used some UK wool military uniforms I bought at a boot sale to keep warm on the marble floor. Didn't have to fight anyone, though.
Did you make it though?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Slept at loads of airports and railway stations! Here is the guide to sleeping at Madrid airport. Some nice photos too! From the photos looks like there are some reasonable options.

All other things being equal would always sleep at airport rather than railway station.

Many European stations close overnight. Not sure about this one. Don’t think there are any trains during the night so probably not best idea. Best country in Europe to spend the night at station is Germany by a mile as they have trains at all hours, and always something open! In and around Spanish and French stations are fairly safe compared to say Italy which can be a little unnerving!

Other option is overnight bar (2am to 5am type of thing) but can’t say I know any in Madrid! Bit too much anyway I would guess!

‘Go for it’ I would say! No point in spending £30 for a few hrs sleep!!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Slept at loads of airports and railway stations! Here is the guide to sleeping at Madrid airport. Some nice photos too! From the photos looks like there are some reasonable options.

All other things being equal would always sleep at airport rather than railway station.

Many European stations close overnight. Not sure about this one. Don’t think there are any trains during the night so probably not best idea. Best country in Europe to spend the night at station is Germany by a mile as they have trains at all hours, and always something open! In and around Spanish and French stations are fairly safe compared to say Italy which can be a little unnerving!

Other option is overnight bar (2am to 5am type of thing) but can’t say I know any in Madrid! Bit too much anyway I would guess!

‘Go for it’ I would say! No point in spending £30 for a few hrs sleep!!
That's a great article, thanks very much.

Most read last week in this forum

We arrived in Santiago and after searching ways to get back to Pamplona it worked out easier to hire a car . It would mean picking the car up from Santiago airport and leaving it at a hotel in...
Hello, I am 16 days out from "boots on the ground" on the Frances route. As I am a solo female pilgrim My family wants to be able to find me any time day or night as I make my way across Spain...
I was trying to buy an Alsa bus ticket on-line to take us from Pamplona to SJPDP. It ask for a "document" and document number? Passport isn't mentioned and it wont let me make a purchase without...
Hi , I'm looking for some advice. I'm flying to Madrid and catching a bus to Burgos to walk to León. I'm using a light weight foldable bag for my rucksack & poles but I would rather leave the...
Madrid Albergue near airport? I will be going on to Irun/San Sebastian. With thanks, fondly sandi
Some news that was posted on Facebook by Johnnie Walker which I'm sure he won't mind my repeating here. Not sure who his informant was. The post was quite long but I'll just repost it here in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back