• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Construction and Redevelopment at Chamartín Station

DoughnutANZ

Ka whati te tai ka kai te tōreapango
Time of past OR future Camino
2019, 2023, 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027 & 2028.
FYI, Chamartin station was quite a mess. Phil and I followed signs to the bathroom. It did not exist. Options to buy a coke at Burger King and use theirs, but we just waited until we got on
I used it today and so it does exist and it is very flash. When I was in the lobby I wondered if I was in the wrong place and had wandered into a lift lobby but then I spotted the turnstiles.

It costs a euro to enter although initially I got stuck then it let me in AND returned my Euro.

They have an attendant and they are very clean not like some railway station or bus station toilets that look like they have been through a recent battle.

It was confusing finding the toilets and so I can understand when people miss them. You have to walk outside the station building, past the Burger King and keep going around that side and eventually there is a confusing sign that seems to point to a lift lobby. After you enter the lobby then behind you are the turnstiles that don't take credit cards. A one Euro coin is required.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I used it today and so it does exist and it is very flash. When I was in the lobby I wondered if I was in the wrong place and had wandered into a lift lobby but then I spotted the turnstiles.

It costs a euro to enter although initially I got stuck then it let me in AND returned my Euro.

They have an attendant and they are very clean not like some railway station or bus station toilets that look like they have been through a recent battle.

It was confusing finding the toilets and so I can understand when people miss them. You have to walk outside the station building, past the Burger King and keep going around that side and eventually there is a confusing sign that seems to point to a lift lobby. After you enter the lobby then behind you are the turnstiles that don't take credit cards. A one Euro coin is required.
I was back at Charmartin today and so I took a photo from outside. To get to it turn right past Burger King, walk 200 metres past the Charmartin Hotel and it is on the right, completely outside the station.

IMG_20230618_080231514.jpg

The mirror above the wash hand basin tells you the time, temperature and weather!

I was back at Charmartin today and so I took a photo from outside.
I had a very unfortunate accident at the Charmartin train station three weeks ago. Rushing to catch the train to the airport I fell forward on the slick granite floor. The momentum caused me to slam down hard on my arm wearing my heavy backpack and I fractured my humerus bone in two places.

My intention is not to derail this thread, but after being very cautious for 30 days with every step I took, hurrying to catch a train was a dumb thing to do. This is a lesson for others to be careful...I was not and paid the price.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I had a very unfortunate accident at the Charmartin train station three weeks ago. Rushing to catch the train to the airport I fell forward on the slick granite floor. The momentum caused me to slam down hard on my arm wearing my heavy backpack and I fractured my humerus bone in two places.

My intention is not to derail this thread, but after being very cautious for 30 days with every step I took, hurrying to catch a train was a dumb thing to do. This is a lesson for others to be careful...I was not and paid the price.
Oh Chrissy , so sorry to read that. So easy to do ... I still recall the horror I felt at tripping and falling down the stairs at home a few days before my first Camino. Luckily all was ok ... and I was younger then ... but it's so easy to have these accidents. After your Camino better than before, but still ... Hope you are on the mend. Humerous bone ... not so funny.

I’ve moved these posts to a separate thread, because I think it’s an issue that will have an impact on peregrinos for many years to come.

I know that Chamartín is undergoing huge renovations, but I’m glad to hear that the one-euro bathroom is still in operation. I remember that when I closed the door to my stall, a tape of birds chirping started playing. Extremely clean. Not the kind of bathrooms US travelers are used to seeing in bus or train stations.

I think some forum members will be interested to know, if you don’t already, about the hugely ambitious plans for Chamartín and the whole area.

These current renovations are part of making the AVE connection between Atocha and Chamartín, so that there can be AVE transit through Madrid. Once that is done, though, there’s a redevelopment plan that is going to totally transform that whole area of Madrid. It’s called “Madrid Nuevo Norte.”

This plan involves putting all of Chamartín and all of the tracks (212,000 square meters of them) under ground. This opens up a huge chunk of land, the last available spot for a major development within the territory of the city of Madrid. It’s going to take years and years and years. I know there are a few train junkies out there, and some interested in urban development — this website in English seems very complete to me with a lot of the details.

Just a heads up to anyone whose camino plans take them through Chamartín. There’s going to be a lot of construction and re-routing for the untold next number of years, so it’s probably a good idea to make travel plans with a bit of leeway time built in if you will be going to or through Chamartín.

it’s probably a good idea to make travel plans with a bit of leeway time built in if you will be going to or through Chamartín.
In hindsight I totally agree. Our train connection was listed to be on one platform, but after we'd gone down to catch it, it was changed to a different platform back upstairs where we'd just come from, so we were in a big hurry to not miss it. In reality, we could have waited for the next train as they go quite regularly to the airport...live and learn.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We followed the arrows upstairs to nowhere. Guess we misinterpreted the directional signs.
It is on the same level as the part of the station where you wait and watch for the platform number for your train, but outside the station building, past the Burger King and keep going right.

The may be another one somewhere upstairs though as a security person did point upstairs but I assumed that the upstairs one(s) were associated with the cafés up there.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back