• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is the Coastal Camino Route Safer from Aggressive Dogs?

Tinkelbel

Time of past OR future Camino
14th of August 2023
Hi there,
I started my camino in Santarém last week and was planning on walking the central route.

I did not take into account though, that on this part you walk all by yourself and that the watch dogs can get quite aggressive when you pass by. This started to get a bit too much for me emotionally and therefore I took the train to Porto today.

I am now thinking about ‘switching’ to the coastal route as I would expect less dogs. Is this a good assumption?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Watch dogs are common on rural properties but they are not a threat unless you are trying to enter the property. They are often chained or at least restrained by strong fencing. They may well make a lot of noise as you walk past but that is their job- to alert the property owner of the presence of strangers. I guess your challenge is to just ignore the noise and keep on walking. That alone assures the dog that you do not represent a threat.
@lovelyshell, above, says they had no encounters. Keep walking, all will be well.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have walked many caminos covering most routes including the Portugues.
I have only encountered one "aggressive" dog on any of them and it was not that bad...

Actually, I think the reports are really few and far between considering the huge number of pilgrims walking all year long now.

It does sound like you are now walking and are, in fact, encountering barking dogs and have a bit of a trauma about them. I know that dogs are terrifying to many people and that it is not something you can control. I am sorry you are experiencing this.

Last edited:
Honestly; no.

The working dogs you will pass are doing a job; and generally being better treated than their ancestors of 20+ years ago. I have more sympathy for the chained domestic ‘guard dogs’ than the loose (but almost invariably behind barriers) dogs protecting or herding livestock.

There are very (very) few reports of actual incidents - but that’s how it is on the path you choose to tread .

No todo es coser y cantar.

Hi there,
I started my camino in Santarém last week and was planning on walking the central route.

I did not take into account though, that on this part you walk all by yourself and that the watch dogs can get quite aggressive when you pass by. This started to get a bit too much for me emotionally and therefore I took the train to Porto today.

I am now thinking about ‘switching’ to the coastal route as I would expect less dogs. Is this a good assumption?
No advice, but I hear you! That's scary! Hope it gets better.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked from Lisbon last year and didn't encounter any loose dogs. This dog was trying his best to be ferocious, but it was hard to take him seriously in that outfit!

Screenshot_20230822_140753_Photos.jpg

You should know that I used to be terrified of dogs after being bitten in the face by a large dog when I was very young. A fact which my parents never shared with me. It wasn't until I was 30 that I learned of the attack, and somehow that knowledge helped me to gradually lose my extreme fear of dogs.

I walked from Lisbon last year and didn't encounter any loose dogs. This dog was trying his best to be ferocious, but it was hard to take him seriously in that outfit!

View attachment 154991

You should know that I used to be terrified of dogs after being bitten in the face by a large dog when I was very young. A fact which my parents never shared with me. It wasn't until I was 30 that I learned of the attack, and somehow that knowledge helped me to gradually lose my extreme fear of dogs.
Laughing at the dog's outfit, not your attack.
I was attacked by a pit bull as a young woman and now even a chihuahua barking freaks me out.

When I walked from Lisbon a few years ago I also found the dogs a bit too fiesty for comfort. Not working dogs, the problem mutts were people's pets which would come hurtling out of driveways to have a nip. Once a whole pack of various shapes and sizes raced down a very long lane way to have a go!
And I like dogs.
After Porto, however, all was calm on the central route. I haven't walked the coastal route so don't know about that. (Maybe a few old sea-dogs?!)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
When I walked from Lisbon a few years ago I also found the dogs a bit too fiesty for comfort. Not working dogs, the problem mutts were people's pets which would come hurtling out of driveways to have a nip. Once a whole pack of various shapes and sizes raced down a very long lane way to have a go!
And I like dogs.
After Porto, however, all was calm on the central route. I haven't walked the coastal route so don't know about that. (Maybe a few old sea-dogs?!)
One technique if they are loose is to trail your walking poles. Don’t try to stare them down they see that as a challenge. I just talk softly or sing to them. The seaside route is a lovely one, includes boardwalks and some sand. Pass really ancient fish pools and piles of seaweed drying to be used as fertilisers on the fields. If you do this you rejoin the central briefly and have the option of the Spiritual Variant. It’s a wonderful option. Rejoins at Padron by boat if the tides permit. Trust in the spirit of the Camino.
Enjoy the beautiful opportunity
Mark

Thank you for the replies. I switched to the coastal route yesterday and it is indeed
very beautiful ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)

A lot of ferocious barking dogs on the Lisbon to Porto segment this May - one particular day they were launching themselves against the solid driveway gates house after house that we felt we would be torn to shreds if they got out! Only one incidence where 3 loose smaller dogs ran snarling up to us, we banging our crossed poles while we backed away, cars in the driveway they came from but nobody called them off. Noticably less barking dogs after Porto - maybe these ones are more used to the passing parade since more pilgrims walk from here. Bom caminho.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Walked from tomar to Santiago on central/espiritual and then onto Mucia.
The only time i nearly got bitten, was from a cute little fluffy dog sitting near a restaurant door, between Barcelos and casa fernadas.

The usually bigger, guard dogs, tend to behind fences, so less of a threat.. It's the unleashed family pets to be more worried about!!

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...
Will be doing hopefully my first of many Camino journeys leaving out of Porto December 29. From what I can tell, highs in 50’s to 60’s F and possibly some but not a lot of moisture with no snow...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...
Another wonderful walking day! Definitely feeling it in my legs today- a few more stretch breaks needed! And lots of wonderful places to take them! Theme for the day boardwalks! Received a few...
Day 3 was another wonderful day spent along the coast. I planned a short day so I could meander and explore Vila do Conde which did not disappoint! The day included walking on boardwalks and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back