• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is there a new route totally off the highway from Lisboa?

peregrina2000

Staff member
Hi, Portuguese experts,
I think I understood most of this news report (thanks for sending it, amsimoes)

http://www.rtp.pt/noticias/pais/per...tima-optam-por-percursos-mais-seguros_v827494

It suggests that there is now an off-road alternative for the route between Lisbon and Fatima. If that is true, Santiago pilgrims will also be able to stay off road and avoid the part where Albertinho took a train, right?

Any information on this and how it is marked? From the interviews with the pilgrims (some to Fatima, some to Santiago) it sounded like the national highway stretches have been greatly reduced.

Bom caminho, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Laurie. We walked from Lisboa Sé via The poussada de Juventude in Moscavide to Alverca de Ribatejo. .there we took the train to Azambuja so skipped the walk along Vila Franca de Cira and the place where our friend Diogo lives and avoided walking along the busy road the N10.
Once Diogo wrote about a deviation or detour more alongside the Tejo river but cannot find this
I could ask Diogo. I have his emailaddress and send him an email .I haven't heard from him since a while.
Maybe Vialusitana can give some information too ?

Regards from this side of the big ocean

Albertinho

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,
I arrive in Lisboa on 9/2 and begin my walk on 9/4. If there is a route with less road walking I would greatly appreciate any information!
Thanks, Sandra

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for starting this thread - I'll follow it very keenly as we also would like to avoid the bigger roads (and still wants to walk the entire camino)
/Christian

The off-road alternative to Fatima is the Camino.
Fatima pilgrims tend to walk all their way on busy traffic roads.
They walk in groups, 50, 100 or more people, along the main roads, with support cars who transport everything for them. They want to get to Fatima fast, walking 40km or more each day, talking about sacrifices and praying the rosary.

Thanks Jose Luis, I knew you would know the answer. If Fatima pilgrims are walking more and more on the Caminho, that is a good thing because it will increase foot traffic on what may otherwise be a lonely part for Santiago pilgrims. And will also make it much less likely that there will be a repeat of that tragic recent accident in which some Fatima pilgrims were killed walking on the road and not on the Caminho. Thanks again, Laurie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
And for those of you with gps devices, the Fatima Association has just posted tracks from Lisboa all the way to Santiago. This may not be exactly the route you will want to walk if you are not planning to take a detour to FAtima, but it is a big help in any event. Thanks to Mario for sending it to me!

http://caminho.com.pt/mapas.html
Hi Laurie.
Sorry... forgot to mention the Fátima detour option, as the changes on the caminho are mainly on Lisbon outskirts to avoid National roads on the Industrial area.
The map available on the link is also know "Caminho do Tejo" (Tagus Way) the same caminho for both (Fatima and Santiago) from Lisbon to Santarem where then, separate Fátima goes West and Santiago North.
Bom Caminho
Mario

Last edited:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back