• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is there an early or midday train from Leon to Santiago?

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2015,2016,2017,2018,2022, 2023, april 24.
I know Renfe doesn't post trains until 2 months or so prior to date needed. But does anyone know if there is a train from Leon to Santiago any time between 8 am and 3 pm end april/early May ? We would consider a bus too but my last experience on a long 3 1/2 hour bus trip along the Camino was awful ( I needed to use the bathroom but had no opportunity during any of the bus stops and bathroom in bus was kept closed.) Thanks :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Wierd. I've traveled by train to Santiago from Sahagun in the late morning, but that was 2017 or so. Now the schedule only shows an evening departure - perhaps that's a winter thing, when there's less demand along the Camino Francés, but I'm just guessing.
Might be that's just the winter schedule. I hope so. If not we could rent a one way car I think with drop off at the Santiago airport but that would be my last resort solution. We prefer trains. We're walking the Meseta and Camino Finisterra this trip. (We've walked all other sections prior to this trip )

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You could get there earlier by going to Madrid and back up to Santiago on the current timetable. Not entirely surprising, mad as it may seem, as the Spanish rail network is essentially radial with Madrid as the hub.
This may be a seasonal schedule, as I've gone there direct (via Ponferrada, Monforte, and Ourense) in the summertime, leaving late morning/noonish. That said, trains through Madrid that @Corned Beef mentioned (while much longer) are a bit faster in terms of time onboard the train.

Thanks all for your ideas. We will keep an eye on more direct trains closer to March/April. For now I booked a one way car rental from Leon train station to the Santiago Airport for $64 . No prepayment needed and I can cancel it if a decent train option becomes available.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Take the bus?
Thanks. You actually gave us great advice last year for the bus route O'Cebreiro to Santiago . We did but..... as I mentioned, it was a terrible experience. Not the ride/bus itself, but no possibility to use a restroom for more then 3 hours, which is an issue for us. (side effect of older age :) ) The restroom in bus was kept locked even after I very nicely asked the driver. He was very rude and said "WC in Santiago". We ended up getting of the bus at the Santiago airport because we just "had to go" LOL . Then we took a taxi into town .

Ps . I did the entire Frances in 2015 but currently we do mostly 2 to 3 week sections of the Camino each trip. That's the longest we can stay away from home nowadays. So every trip we pick different sections. Last year we did Pamplona to Burgos and Astorga to Villafranca del Bierzo. This time we really want to do the Meseta and as contrast the Finisterra Camino. For us it's the pure relaxation of walking Inn to Inn in Beautiful Spain. Sadly we don;t have anything similar in the USA . :)

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back