• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I've got TIX to "The Way"

OMG, I can't believe it!!!! I had a feeling I needed to check out the movie's FB page & did so right when they announced they had 10 pairs of tix to the Austin, Texas screening AND the Q&A following with Mr. Sheen & Mr. Estevez!! I am *SO* pumped it's not even funny!!!

I'm hoping a friend can go with me, but if she can't, then I'll have a ticket available. If you are in Austin & want to see this movie (7:30 pm on Tuesday at Barton Creek), send me a PM tomorrow. :)

Kelly

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, Kelly,

Lucky you. I looked at the facebook page and the website itself, but have not been able to find a schedule for the bus tour they are doing. Does anyone know of a spot where all dates and times are listed?

Doing some searching on the web, I came across the news that The Way is opening Indianapolis' Heartland Film Festival, on October 13. Tickets go on sale on Sept. 21. That might be of interest to the midwesterners in this group. I might see if I can drag my husband over to see it, anyone else thinking of going?

http://www.trulymovingpictures.org/blog ... -festival/

Are there any updates on whether this film will actually be shown in regular movie theaters?

thanks, Laurie

Congrats on the tix.

From what I can find...The Way will have a limited screening early Oct in AMC theaters...then on 21 Oct open in an additional 500 locations.
The film seems to be doing well at film festivals.
Look forward to it coming to a theater near me.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks for the information. The map shows that The Way will be shown in Chicago on Sept. 15, in St. Louis on Sept. 8, -- also showings in Dayton, Cleveland, Detroit, Minneapolis, Kansas City, as well as the Indianapolis showing.

All are hours from me, but I do see that the bus will pass through my town at least twice on its way to bigger venues. :(

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Kelly,
I leave for the Camino Portuguese on Oct 16th, so I will make sure I see The Way in DC before
I depart. Sent a FB message to Emilio. Holding thumbs.
I'm going no matter what!!!
Buen "emotions are love breaking through the crap" Camino
Arn

I've heard from a friend in NYC that you can now buy tickets for the post-bus tour, official opening date. The AMC Loews on Second Ave. is selling tickets on their website: http://www.fandango.com/amcloewskipsbay ... =10/7/2011

I am hoping this means there will be a general distribution for people like me in the hinterlands.
And for those of us without Kelly's energy, who don't want to add 8 hours travel time to their movie experience. :lol:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It "opens small" on Oct 7, but later in the month in wide release, on Oct 27.

As for my 8 hour round trip, the movie & Q&A lasted longer than I thought, so I found a Motel 6 to sleep for a few hours. :)

Kelly

While I am not Kelly, I would answer by saying it was better than I expected. It was shown on my flight home from Madrid Tuesday. I did not meet the movie's characters on the Camino, but I have met characters of a wide variety on the Camino, so they certainly were possible and well-acted.

It would be too much to expect the landscape shots to be in exact sequence, even if Estevez was part of the editing process, and most were in the right place.

The message I got from the film was pilgrim-appropriate even with the added drama, and it avoided being maudlin.

I give it a six on a scale of ten, and I have rated a lot of recent movies 4 or less!!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I would rate it higher than Falcon, about a 7 or 8, since I like the fact that the story depends on the characters, not special effects or CGI. As a pilgrim, there is one background shot that is way out of sequence, but you'd only know it if you're a pilgrim & have stayed in or walked by the alberque at Orisson.

The movie is like the Camino---the changes happen subtly, quietly, not in the usual "TA-DA!" way seen in many films nowadays.

I'm looking forward to seeing the movie again when it opens. :)

Kelly

Have any of you reviewers seen St Jacques- Le Mecque? I was just wondering which one shows a truer Camino. I have yet to find in in English or subtitled, but even if you can't understand all the French, the same slow changes in the pilgrims is there.

St Jacques is a comedy. Three middle aged siblings find out they have to walk from Le Puy to SJPP to gain their inheritance. They protest, fight and suffer, but in the end, they all go all the way to Santiago. The last scene shows them together with a renewed family bonds. It turns out the mother faked her death just to see that.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have the DVD and book for "St. Jacques La Mecque," and am still struggling to wade through my poor French skills to "translate" it. Its focus is the comedy, though, and the Camino is more a setting for the changing relationship between the siblings than the central theme that it is in "The Way."

As for "The Way," the writing, directing, and editing are sufficiently flawed that I could not give it a higher rating. They should have hired a Director of Photography of the caliber of Caleb Deschanel (The Right Stuff, The Natural, The Passion of the Christ, and others), and the visuals would have overpowered the film, perhaps hiding the other flaws of commission. Azpiroz is more of a cameraman than an artist. The acting was good, as was the message, but I can see why Sheen/Estevez had a hard time selling it in Toronto. I probably gave it an inflated rating because I have been on the Camino. If I was one of the 300 million Americans who have not been on the Camino, I suspect I would have rated it lower. Reviewer bias, I think!!!

Still, the number of U.S. pilgrims will quadruple in the next three years as a result of the film.

There are, I think, some bellweathers, for recent Caminos:
Shirley MacLaine for Americans and other terrestrials,Hap Kerkling's book drove a German reprise and now The Way will energize a growing American attachment with the Way...as we on the Forum know it.
For whatever reason we decide to walk the Way...the Camino will form, mold and change our lives forever.
O.K., just remember where Orisson really fits. The rest is spirit toward a direction.

Arn

Arn wrote:
There are, I think, some bellweathers, for recent Caminos:
Shirley MacLaine for Americans and other terrestrials,Hap Kerkling's book drove a German reprise and now The Way will energize a growing American attachment with the Way...as we on the Forum know it.

Oscar-winner Shirley MacLaine has been selected to receive the American Film Institute’s 40th Life Achievement Award, the AFI’s highest honor for a career in film. See http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/ ... award.html

Her interview on CNN Larry King Live.
Shirley MacLaine Discusses `The Camino'
Aired May 24, 2000 - 9:00 p.m. ET is on http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/ ... kl.00.html.

For whatever reason we decide to walk the Way...the Camino will form, mold and change our lives forever
Detractors of Shirley MacLaine and the German Comedian need not open the transcripts.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.