• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Way 2 - Characters

G_the_D

Time of past OR future Camino
CF May - July 2017
CF Oct - Nov 2017
Future -2022
I am a self admitted fan of The Way.
No apologies for that.
We know that Jack, Jost, Tom and presumably Daniel will return.
Are there secondary characters that you would like to see in the next film?

I'd love to see Ishmael or Henri Sébastien find a place in the plot line.

Thoughts?

Gord

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A return cameo by El Ramon! would be enjoyable, even if he simply is in the background of a scene
Haha yes! Slightly off topic, but is anyone aware if we can get an El Ramon stamp along the CF? I'll be walking this May and would love this! I am a huge fan of The Way. I know that scene takes place in Torres del Rio at the old Casa Santa Barbara, and have a note in my book about Calle la Carrera (?). Thanks in advance!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The El Ramon character was based on a real encounter, I think, but I don't think there is an albergue related to that in Torres del Rio anymore. There also used to be the man that would pour wine down his forehead in Hontanas, he had a stamp with that picture, though that bar has since closed, too.

is anyone aware if we can get an El Ramon stamp along the CF
Which "El Ramon" stamp are you hoping to get? The gimmick sello shown in the movie "The Way" or the actual sello of Ramón Sostres?

Mr Sostres died about 20 years ago, before the movie was produced in 2009. He had apparently no next of kin. It surprised me that the movie makers chose to use his actual first name.

Gimmick sello.jpg

Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 18.38.30.png

n. It surprised me that the movie makers chose to use his actual first name.
Ramón is actually Martin Sheen’s real name and supposedly the origin of that character’s name in the movie.

In 2019, there was a youth walking the CF who had duplicated that sello and was selling a stamp in your credential in exchange for a donation to fund his walk. Problematic on several levels, but I give him an “A” for creativity

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ramón is actually Martin Sheen’s real name and supposedly the origin of that character’s name in the movie
No. The scenes with "Ramon" in the movie are based on a section of Jack Hitt's book "Off The Road" about a 1993 pilgrimage where Hitt meets a famous eccentric character of the Camino at the time - Ramon Sostres.

No. The scenes with "Ramon" in the movie are based on a section of Jack Hitt's book "Off The Road" about a 1993 pilgrimage where Hitt meets a famous eccentric character of the Camino at the time - Ramon Sostres.
Yes. Edward F. Stanton who must have walked around the same time as Jack Hitt also describes eccentric Ramón Sostres in Torres del Rio and his house Santa Barbara (look at the inscription on the gimmick sello!) and its open air "bathroom". He was a well known Camino personality at the time. Stanton describes him as eccentric but gentle and not as crazy as portrayed in the movie.

I know that scene takes place in Torres del Rio at the old Casa Santa Barbara, and have a note in my book about Calle la Carrera (?). Thanks in advance!
The movie scene takes place in a different house in Torres del Rio. Señor Sostres' own home, the Casa Santa Barbara, has been demolished. But enough of that. It is better to concentrate on the characters in "The Way" and which ones one wants to see again in The Way II. They are ALL fictive. 😊

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Captain Henri would be the secondary character that I'd like to see again. He was very kind to Tom and I think he said that he would like to walk the Camino once more.
That would be a great scene to see him walk the Camino again!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Rick, I wanted to mention him, too, but couldn't remember his name. The other person that came to my mind was the compassionate policeman in SJPdP who explained to Tom about the Camino.
That was Captain Henri Sébastien. He would be a great return character.

So "The Way" is basically the "Wizard of Oz": Tom is Dorothy, the Belgian is the cowardly lion (no courage), the Canadian the Tin man (no heart), and the Irishman is the Scarecrow (no brain) all on the Yellow Brick Road (the Camino). It'd be good to 'riff' on the theme by having Tom go back with the same group for a reunion after several years and face full-on the growth of the commercial / trendy aspects of the Camino vs the meaning. Maybe an initial disheartening, followed by a spiritual reawakening ...

I always remember (with embarrassment) my initial bad feelings towards those who hoped on fresh for the last 100km or so on my first Camino, making everything a bed race and without the camaraderie and shared challenges of the past few weeks. But really, who am I to define who a true pilgrim is? Maybe that's the lesson of the sequel.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
That would be a great scene to see him walk the Camino again!
Well another thread here says Tom heads off to do some good for OTHERS pro bono as an eye doctor in the jungle some place for Doctors without Borders (or maybe Fred Hollows Foundation) or whoever rather than return to a Camino trail - but we are also told Jack contacts him with some "ground breaking news" so we need to wait to see if that takes him back to the Frances.

But as the family Estevez comes from a town beside Tui I would like to see Marty do a Camino from there to make up for his big regret of changing his name to Sheen as the follow up "father and son" theme.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well another thread here says Tom heads off to do some good for OTHERS pro bono as an eye doctor in the jungle some place for Doctors without Borders (or maybe Fred Hollows Foundation) or whoever rather than return to a Camino trail - but we are also told Jack contacts him with some "ground breaking news" so we need to wait to see if that takes him back to the Frances.
The pre-production info states that it’s the Norte.

But as the family Estevez comes from a town beside Tui I would like to see Marty do a Camino from there to make up for his big regret of changing his name to Sheen as the follow up "father and son" theme.

It would make reading simpler if you would put the names of Tom and the other characters into brackets seeing they refer to fictional persons.
With Marty I can only presume you mean the actor Martin Sheen?

Then again, I am not a movie person so this whole thread confuses me completely.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I was taught that “The Wizard of Oz” was a movie about 1930s monetary policy (the Yellow Brick Road = the gold standard). Imagine my confusion now. Who is Tom, who is Martin Sheen, and who is Franklin Delano Roosevelt? 🤣 I like SabsP's bracket idea - [Tom] - it does help, lol

I loved "The Way" and look forward to the sequel, so here's throwing in my votes with others for Father Frank and Captain Henri Sebastien.

I was taught that “The Wizard of Oz” was a movie about 1930s monetary policy (the Yellow Brick Road = the gold standard). Imagine my confusion now. Who is Tom, who is Martin Sheen, and who is Franklin Delano Roosevelt? 🤣 I like SabsP's bracket idea - [Tom] - it does help, lol

I loved "The Way" and look forward to the sequel, so here's throwing in my votes with others for Father Frank and Captain Henri Sebastien.
Pity about Sarah who seems to have been fully "reformed" in her The Way "outcomes" (as we must say now for 2020s monetary policies) so we don't see her any more.

She will in fact do another Camino but it will be like Shirley McClain and she will keep reciting her mantra of "do not talk to anyone".

But all seems to point to another conclusion at the Cathedral so it will be interesting to see if the front door is opened again or they are forced to go in the back door and hug the statue instead of the finger hole routine.

And as a gesture to advancing feminism in the church Sarah will pop up at the end as one of the "rope pulling persons" on the Botafumeiro thing.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
No waters are ever the same
Time and tide will have taken the characters far from who they were
Whether or not they were transformed..did they find resolution?
May we see the waters in a different time but same place
What currents run in the flow of souls toward the sea

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.