• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Jewelry on the Camino

Smallest_Sparrow

Life is rarely what you expect or believe it to be
Time of past OR future Camino
2012: most of some, all of a few, a bit of others
I noticed two threads lately surrounding jewelry: one, someone lost extremely important (sentimentally) earrings. In another, the OP wondered about wearing her engagement ring on her hand or on a gold chain. I would think twice about taking any jewelry that is very significant with you on a gold chain. I had two small gold religious medals that were extremely important to me. In addition to other reasons, they'd traveled with me through five wars. I had them on a fairly substantial gold chain, but I think it suffered from rubbing by the pack, and 18k gold is not exactly a sturdy metal. At one point I discovered they were gone. In retrospect I should have put them on a stainless steel chain, as they were when I deployed. At some point on the Camino the chain broke and I lost them; I was inconsolable for several days--and even now get teary eyed when I think about the loss. Had I a chance to do it over, I'd either wear them on my dog tag chain, or even just carry them in a bag with my passport. As for engagement rings (something I've never had to worry about), if it's really large just for safety sake from robbers I'd leave it at home and wear a plain silver wedding band type ring instead. You may want to consider leaving all rings behind (except wedding rings)--if you should injure your ring finger (jam or twist it in a fall, etc) it will swell rapidly, and if the ring is not able to be slid off quickly it can start to cut off blood flow to that finger.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
so all you wedding band wearers: if you hurt that finger, even if it seems minor, immediately remove the wedding band and put it someplace safe. If your finger isn't too swollen the next day you can put it back on (if it slides on easily). In the meantime, that pale band of skin on that finger should keep you safe from Camino Romeos (or Juliets):D. If you can't remove it because it's already too swollen, elevate your hand above your heart, apply ice if available, try applying lotion, liquid soap/shampoo, oil, or other lubricant and see if you can get it off. There's a trick with winding string I used once in the field but it's complicated to explain without pictures. And we were all surprised it worked so get that ring off ASAP before the finger swells. If you can't get the ring off, get to a place where you can get medical help if your finger goes numb/turns blue, white, or for that matter any color it's not usually (ERs have a device to cut it off if they can't get it off any other way).

Think silicone bands if your wedding ring means anything to you. They're cheap and no biggie if they break or get lost.

My paternal grandmother died in January 2014. She was quite hard-core communist and ex-partisan (not in the woods but kind of undercover) during WW2. When I was about to embark for my 2014 Camino I thought to myself I want to pay some additional respect for her. I'm not religious (like Roman Catholic etc.) anyway but still believe in some sort of ..., whatever... My father was living with her for last few years and I've asked him for a piece of her "schmuck" (almost worthless jewelery money-wise) that she liked. He found it and I've taken it to Spain. Last evening before Cruz de Ferro I went into the depths of my backpack and couldn't find it. I've turned everything upside down to no avail. I knew where I've stashed it but there was nothing.

I did shed a tear or two at the Cruz but I was kind of reassured that her cheap bracelett went on her own way and that it must have been so. And to day I'm convienced about that.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Wedding ring only and simple 'sleeper' ear studs. No problem with rings chafing or having to take care of them. The only exception was after Santiago last year when Terry had bought me an eternity ring and I wore it too night and day, but on my other hand at night.
Anything else stays at home, earings etc and with mine sentimental value outweighs actual value.

You can buy some lovely inexpensive shell earrings on eBay!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Good advice about getting the ring off after an injury. On my first Camino, I fell (tripped) on the bridge coming into Santiago; the one with wooden slats. I went down hard on my left arm and hand. Nothing broken but started swelling immediately. I had on my wedding band and was reminded by a nurse walking with me to get it off right away. I did and it spent the rest of my trip (went to Italy after) pinned securely inside my bag.
I agree if you are afraid to lose it, leave it at home.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, I’m starting my Camino Frances on May 12. I’ve booked my first night in SJPDP, but I’m starting to worry I need to book more. My plan was to take it day by day and just turn up, but lots...
Hello all. Here to give a brief account of my (and many others) first day on the Camino on May 1. The trip to Roncesvalles was tough. I went Valcarlos route because napoleon was very ill advised...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...
Did you meet Bjørn Krohn? Died aged 48 in an albergue, I don't know where, tuesday 21th. I didn't know this until now.
I am wondering how you disconnect, in part, from the world. I have a couple of reasons that I need to be accessible but, I don't want to be constantly connected on this journey. Ideas?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.