• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

June 2013 Bucket List, advice wanted.

enosfolly

Hi, I am a senior citizen putting together a small group, including my granddaughter, to complete another bucket list item. I am planning on going from Porto to Santiago, as it seems more probable for us to finish the shortest route. Any and all advice to help us with our planning will be greatly appreciated. Publications, books, websites that I can share and put together for an information packet for each participant will be greatly appreciated.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hola

Oporto to Santiago is certainly an option for a two week Camino if that is the time you want to spend walking. It is a complete route so to speak. So also is the Camino Ingles which takes 5 days and you could then walk out to Finisterre/Muxia.

To get you started on your researches there are the various sections of this forum - the Camino Portuguese and the Camino Ingles.

Also have a look here:

http://www.csj.org.uk/faqs.htm

http://www.csj.org.uk/route-overview-pages.htm

And for guides to the Camino Portuguese and the Camino Ingles:

http://www.csj.org.uk/guides-online.htm

If the Camino Portuguese becomes your choice you could also invest in a copy of John Brierly's guide: Use this link and you will see the choice of guide book/maps:

http://www.csj.org.uk/acatalog/The_CSJ_ ... des_7.html

Here are slideshows with music of both routes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3cVkR2u ... r_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS2HhncP ... r_embedded

and you can find articles and more resources here:
http://johnniewalker-santiago.blogspot.com.es/

Finally - post any questions you may have!

John

My message and John's crossed. I was also going to suggest the Camino Ingles as a shorter option. Also Sylvia Nilsen's book, which is a great guide for planning a Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As you have no doubt already read, many people do the Camino Ingles in 6 days by breaking the long walk to Bruma in two by using a Taxi to/from Meson de Vento. This means that you do the often mentioned uphill stretch from Bar Julia at the start of the day while fresh. I am 63 and am taking this advice when I walk next week.
How old will your granddaughter be?
Buen Camino
Allan

In June this year, we broke the Bruma stretch into halves and stayed two nights at the Meson do Novo... where the hospitality was simply wonderful and the accomodations as clean and neat as could ever be desired! Without packs, the second day's walk from Cafe Bar Julia back to Meson do Novo was much easier than would otherwise have been our lot! Irecommend this plan highly! Crane

Hi
Three suggestions;
Try ‘cafe con musica’, for breakfast! Coffee with aguadente (moonshine)
Eat ‘percebes’ ( goose barnacles) harvested from the surf line on cliffs by very brave people on ropes. I think unique to this part of the world.
Bring another bucket!
There is so much to add to any list.
Chris

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Al the optimist said:
As you have no doubt already read, many people do the Camino Ingles in 6 days by breaking the long walk to Bruma in two by using a Taxi to/from Meson de Vento. This means that you do the often mentioned uphill stretch from Bar Julia at the start of the day while fresh. I am 63 and am taking this advice when I walk next week.
How old will your granddaughter be?
Buen Camino
Allan

Thank you all for such great advice. My granddaughter is 15. I have chosen the Portuguese route because I want to do the official distance. I probably won't get another chance. As others are seniors also, we will just go slow, well, at the least we won't rush each other. I am told that it probably won't take as long as we think, we are just figuring on stopping and touring some areas along the way. Thanks again for the suggestions and advice.

JohnnieWalker said:
Hola

Finally - post any questions you may have!

John

Hola Juan: Thanks for the book and internet links. I will go to the local library and see how many of them are available. Others have also suggested good reads. I am excited to start the planning. We are using Silver Slippers to get our training. Then closer to the time, we will do some of the local hiking and walking trails. Thanks again.

Terri

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am wondering just how old you consider "senior citizens" to be?
Many of us here are in our 60's and 70's and have have really not had any real problems with completing 500 mile plus (and more) Caminos.

I think you may find that it is not as bad as you are thinking.

God willing we will have completed the Camino Portuguese by June 2013...planning for late April early May, 2013. Learning so much on this forum. Have read information from John Walker, John Brierley, and Dennis Switzer. I recommend all of them. I'm sure as the time gets closer I will have more questions. The Camino is on my Lista da Vida.

tyrrek said:
My message and John's crossed. I was also going to suggest the Camino Ingles as a shorter option. Also Sylvia Nilsen's book, which is a great guide for planning a Camino.

I have not considered the Camino Ingles, but will check it out as I start getting more serious about the preparation and obtaining information to share with the others. As it has been suggested by both you and John, it is worth looking into. Anymore information or suggestions regarding this route will also be appreciated.

As time and physical ability are the two prime considerations, I am considering (if the Portuguese route is chosen), that we take public transportation off and on, between Porto and Tui and walking from there to Santiago to fulfill the required 100 km walk. Does this sound feasible, and is anyone familiar with access to public transportation?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Titus Pullo said:
Hi
Three suggestions;
Try ‘cafe con musica’, for breakfast! Coffee with aguadente (moonshine)
Eat ‘percebes’ ( goose barnacles) harvested from the surf line on cliffs by very brave people on ropes. I think unique to this part of the world.
Bring another bucket!
There is so much to add to any list.
Chris

Thank you for the suggestions; however I am not sure where these were offered. I lived in Spain for many years and of the 30 ways to order coffee, I am not sure I heard of any of these. I was in Andulcia though so that might make a difference. Thanks again, I am open to all suggestions.

I really have no advice as we will be doing our first camino Porto to Santiago in May 2013. We are wondering if we should choose the coastal route out of Porto. It certainly looks more scenic and I think avoids busy roads. Does anyone have any advice regarding this? Hopefully this is useful info for you too!
Paula

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back