• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Just a brief intro

DSouthard

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Catalan, (May-July 2012), Via Francigena (Barcelona to Rome - 2015), Via Francigena (Rome to Canterbury - 2016)
I'll be making my pilgrimage from Montserrat beginning around May 20, 2012. I just left a job/career as a technical project manager after 30-some years. My children are now adults and self sufficient, my marriage is a distant memory, I have almost no money and absolutely no property except for what fits into 1 back pack, 1 suitcase, and 1 guitar case.

I've been planning to walk the Camino for about 10 years, ever since I first heard about it. I'm in pretty good shape, but have no doubt the first week or two will be difficult. I can easily walk 20 miles in a day, but doing it day after day for weeks on end is not something I can properly prepare for. So like almost everyone, I just plan on being sore and tired for a while. I have 9 weeks between arriving in Barcelona and the return flight, so I can walk slowly.

I anticipate meeting lots of people and making friends along the way. I love travel and have always found wonderful people everywhere I've been. But this is a journey of spiritual discovery for me (as much as one can plan on that) so the plan is to spend a lot of time alone. Although, God works through people, so if He chooses to speak to me through someone, I'll be sure to listen. I'll carry a phone for emergency use, but it will be turned off except and unless needed. I will not be checking into any internet cafes and will not be writing a blog. I'll carry an old fashioned, analog journal for personal notes.

As I have (almost) nothing, I'm not in a position to stop working, nor do I want to. I would love to live and work in Spain. I'll look for a position teaching English as a foreign language there, but for a non-EU citizen, that is an impossibility without God's intervention. (I have TEFL certification and have been a volunteer teacher in the US.) So, upon returning, I'll look for a teaching position in a Spanish speaking country and continue looking for a way to get back to Spain.

Like others have commented, I don't do well sleeping in a room full of snoring people, so I'll carry a tent and sleep outside where ever possible. (Outside noises don't seem to bother me that way snoring does. Go figure.) I'm on a tight budget, so private rooms in hotels are out of the question. And, I'm looking forward to making the Camino as simple as possible.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Buen Camino!

Let us know how you get on, particularly if you are walking from Montserrat

Andy

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.