• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Just booked- Sept 2021 Frances- with modifications

BookGirl305

Time of past OR future Camino
Ingles (after Covid)
Hello! Thank you to all who have given great advice over the last few months as this is all so new to me- I have never long distanced walked before, never carried a backpack before- my enthusiasm has outweighed my ability :) Somewhere along the way, I changed from "I want to walk the Camino" to "I need to walk the end part of the Camino 12 miles a day for 6 days since that's all I can get off from work so I can get the certificate" and in the process of trying to do that, I lost my joy.

So, I booked a flight in mid-Sept and have decided to start at the other end to walk and simply enjoy. I'll get as far as I get in 6 days and then head back to Madrid and come home. If I want to come back next year and pick up where I left off, I'll do that. If one week fills whatever is driving me there, that's cool too. Guess I better take a look at the other end of the map and figure out where to start from!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Buen Camino! I am not sure what you mean by "to start at the other end" but the Camino Ingles can be walked in 6 days and the stages are not excessively long. It qualifies you for a Compostela. You just need to get to Ferrol to start which is accessible by train and bus from Madrid. Check it out on Rome2Rio.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you both for the encouraging thoughts! My challenge is I don't have the ability to complete either the Ingles or Sarria to Santiago in the 6 days I have available. I'm just not that skilled and I have been trying to force myself to do something I am not yet capable of. Instead, I decided to simply walk and not worry about completing anything. That decision has lifted a weight and turned what began to feel like an obligation back into a joyous thing. I think I may start somewhere around Pamplona and go as far as I go and enjoy the moment.

Hello! Thank you to all who have given great advice over the last few months as this is all so new to me- I have never long distanced walked before, never carried a backpack before
That was me in 2016 before my first Camino!

I agree with those who say to do the Camino Inglés. It's normally done in 5 days, so 6 days will give you shorter stages, and you will be able to do a "complete" Camino. Then if you want to return for a longer Camino you can do the Frances, the Portuguese, or another route. From Ferrol to Santiago is 111.5 km/69.28 miles. Divide that by six, and you are at 12 miles a day. Yes, the miles won't be evenly distributed, with some over 12 miles and some under, but you will find that when you are on the Camino, and your only "job" is to walk that you can walk farther than you can at home. Remember, you don't wake up and walk 12 miles without stopping. More like 4 miles, then stop for breakfast or a snack, another 4 miles and stop for lunch, then another 4 and you are at your destination for the day!

That was me in 2016 before my first Camino!

I agree with those who say to do the Camino Inglés. It's normally done in 5 days, so 6 days will give you shorter stages, and you will be able to do a "complete" Camino. Then if you want to return for a longer Camino you can do the Frances, the Portuguese, or another route. From Ferrol to Santiago is 111.5 km/69.28 miles. Divide that by six, and you are at 12 miles a day. Yes, the miles won't be evenly distributed, with some over 12 miles and some under, but you will find that when you are on the Camino, and your only "job" is to walk that you can walk farther than you can at home. Remember, you don't wake up and walk 12 miles without stopping. More like 4 miles, then stop for breakfast or a snack, another 4 miles and stop for lunch, then another 4 and you are at your destination for the day!
"More like 4 miles, then stop for breakfast or a snack, another 4 miles and stop for lunch, then another 4 and you are at your destination for the day!"

Sounds like rushing it a bit to me ;)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you both for the encouraging thoughts! My challenge is I don't have the ability to complete either the Ingles or Sarria to Santiago in the 6 days I have available. I'm just not that skilled and I have been trying to force myself to do something I am not yet capable of. Instead, I decided to simply walk and not worry about completing anything. That decision has lifted a weight and turned what began to feel like an obligation back into a joyous thing. I think I may start somewhere around Pamplona and go as far as I go and enjoy the moment.
As @trecile the Ingles isn't that arduous. With great effort I managed to stretch it to 8 days but then three of those were only about 3 hours walking each day! I had just retired and had all the time in the world.

The only bit I bang on about being hard work is the climb out of Pontedeume and that lasts all of what? 20 or 30 minutes?

You need to have some sort of target/time table to go by because you'll need to sort out your accommodation - I'm not sure just turning up and hoping for the best will work very well this year.

Pamplona will be a popular jumping off spot and 5 or 6 days of walking will get you as far as Logrono - if you go further then you will have to backtrack to Logrono for a transport link back to Madrid (I think, I've never done that kind of thing)

Either way, best wishes to you!

Great plan.

That decision has lifted a weight and turned what began to feel like an obligation back into a joyous thing. I think I may start somewhere around Pamplona and go as far as I go and enjoy the moment.
Hi @BookGirl305
I feel your personal decision is a good one. ——
‘ Just walking’ part of the Camino Francés without expectation when you have few limited days available will give you the taste you are seeking without any pre stressing about your ability. Many people do stages!
Also starting in Pamplona does make for a quicker and much less complicated route to your starting point.,(whether you fly in to Madrid or Barcelona )… so your time available won’t be eaten up unnecessarily.
Go with the flow. Enjoy 😊
& buen camino
Annie

Ps.. I also think the CF gives a ‘good feel’ & understanding for a 1st camino .. I think you’ll have more opportunity to meet others etc.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think this is simply wonderful - you have reached exactly the right decision imo! Follow your heart.

@BookGirl305 , whatever decision you come to is right for you, so not to be swayed by our many opinions - we haven't a clue about you or your limits!
That said...
o, I booked a flight in mid-Sept and have decided to start at the other end to walk and simply enjoy. I'll get as far as I get in 6 days and then head back to Madrid and come home. If I want to come back next year and pick up where I left off, I'll do that. If one week fills whatever is driving me there, that's cool too. Guess I better take a look at the other end of the map and figure out where to start from!
I think I may start somewhere around Pamplona and go as far as I go and enjoy the moment.
This opinionated bystander says, "Perfect!"
The finishing of a camino is less important than the walking of it, and is a natural conclusion of a long process. Which has already begun as you mull over your options.

I find longer caminos are more rewarding than shorter ones, because of the length of that process, and what it asks of me. Walking as you can year by year will make the arrival that much more profound, and will also give you time to digest the experience. All good.
Buen camino, peregrina!

On my first stab at the Camino, I took the train from Bayonne to SJPdP where I bought a small backpack, about the size of a day pack, loaded it with gear I got recommendations from an outfitter there. I had no idea what was in front of me, I had done zero training, no guidebook and I had limited time due to some obligations in Biarritz and walked as far as Logrono in six days. I was hooked at that point and went back to SJPdP the following year with better preparation and walked to SdC.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I’ve walked several Caminos now, each time the compostela loses a little more significance to me. I really don’t need a ‘reward’, I know quite well what I did. The pilgrims passports on the other hand are worth their weight in gold, they tell the real story. Buen Camino wherever you may start!

How wise a decision! Walking for the available days without too many expectations of where you’ll end the trip sounds very stress free. For me, walking a Camino is definitely about the journey and not the destination. I’m actually sad when I get to Santiago because the walking days are over. Burn Camino!
p.s. I love your BookGirl handle! 📚📖

Hello! Thank you to all who have given great advice over the last few months as this is all so new to me- I have never long distanced walked before, never carried a backpack before- my enthusiasm has outweighed my ability :) Somewhere along the way, I changed from "I want to walk the Camino" to "I need to walk the end part of the Camino 12 miles a day for 6 days since that's all I can get off from work so I can get the certificate" and in the process of trying to do that, I lost my joy.

So, I booked a flight in mid-Sept and have decided to start at the other end to walk and simply enjoy. I'll get as far as I get in 6 days and then head back to Madrid and come home. If I want to come back next year and pick up where I left off, I'll do that. If one week fills whatever is driving me there, that's cool too. Guess I better take a look at the other end of the map and figure out where to start from!
The first part of Camino Frances, up to Burgos, is my personal favorite. I will be on it beginning Sept. 8 from Roncesvalles. You can’t go wrong. You will want to go back for more later.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

It sounds like you have already started your Camino....letting go of expectations. I think it's wonderful to start early on the Frances and just stop when you need to. I highly suggest you stay with the Frances as the options for stopping (not so much on some of the other routes) will not tie you to even 12 mile days which can be long even for many people who have walked distances at home. Remember, that walking 12 miles everyday is different than walking one day at home. I always suggest that you "start like an old woman and you will finish like a young one", getting stronger every day. Also, on the Frances you will meet many people who will encourage you. The other routes can be lonelier, while on the Frances you have the choice to be alone or meet other people. On one of my Camino's I met a man that was doing 10km a day and having a very successful Camino.
You didn't say how old you are or if you are seeking a spiritual experience, but after many Caminos, my recommendations would be:
Roncevalles: a great place to start and they have a wonderful mass with a pilgrims blessing.
Zubiiri
Zabaldika: a short day that will give you some rest after the difficult walk to Zubiri and you can stay in the albergue here with the communal meal, and sharing in the balcony with the nuns.
Pamplona: Another short day but why not enjoy the city
Uterga: You will get to go to Alto Perdon and not go to far with the climb.The albergue here is nice. Be sure you have poles for the descent
Puente La Reina: Be sure to take the detour to Eunate.

This schedule will allow you to experience the Camino, build your confidence and see what you are capable of. The Camino is not a race to be started and finished, it is a journey. Experience the journey, no matter how short or long you walk. It will be great!! Ultreia

I am afraid a work situation has just caused me to have to cancel my Spanish camino. I have kept my shoes and my backpack and look forward to continued walks here at home, but I must save my travels for another time. Thank you to everyone for all the wonderful advice and help as I prepared to do this.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.