• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Just dropping by...

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
Hello and greetings from very sunny Spain.

I thought I would drop by and update you on my progress. I left roncevalles on the 13th and had a few good days walking with lovely people. But by estella I had a few bad blisters... Walked into town in my socks and booked into the first place I found.

I stayed for 2 days and now walked a few shorter days and I am now in viana.

I bought 2 new pairs of shoes in estella and sent my boots on to Santiago... So far new shoes feel OK. I have also experimented with different sock options depending on the terrain and my feet. So far so good.

It felt sad saying goodbye to friends and walking short days mean new folks each day... But I'm hoping to get back into the swing of things now... But I'll keep listening to my toes.!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Your feet do dictate how your Camino will go. Have you tried lubrication like Vaseline or an equivalent? How about doubling your Socks?

It is amazing to me how many people get blisters and often bad ones. I must be very lucky.

Hope the rest of your walk is uneventful health wise and very pleasurable in every other way.

Ultreya,
Joe

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
LesBrass .. Sorry about those nasty blisters , sounds like your still upbeat and tenacious . Good for You! Keep at it!

( 4 days until Orisson .. :) ohhh Boy. )

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I know that the decision to let your blossoming camino family go on ahead without you is one of the hardest decisions to make on the Camino -- though your brain is telling you it's what is sensible, your heart is yearning to be with the group you've found. But so many caminos have been abruptly ended by the refusal to listen to the brain, so kudos to LesBrass for making that tough decision. And take comfort in knowing you will have another camino family, probably by the time you check back into the forum to read all of our congratulatory notes!

It felt sad saying goodbye to friends and walking short days mean new folks each day... But I'm hoping to get back into the swing of things now... But I'll keep listening to my toes.!
You are a very smart cookie for listening to YOUR body and doing what needed to be done. This last July I came across a group of young people who were, in my opinion, may had been competing as to who among them walked the most/day. HUGE mistake. All of them ended up with horrendous blisters and/or injuries that pretty much put them down for days. One specifically had to skipped a large section to remain on time with a departing flight.

You find and meet great people all along the Camino. I actually think that just sticking to one "Camino family" detracts somewhat from meeting many more awesome folks. I met and walked with amazing people often but had no hesitation whatsoever to go ahead/stay behind because I knew there were still great people to meet along. Buen Camino!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hello and greetings from very sunny Spain.I thought I would drop by and update you on my progress. I left roncevalles on the 13th and had a few good days walking with lovely people. But by estella I had a few bad blisters... Walked into town in my socks and booked into the first place I found. I stayed for 2 days and now walked a few shorter days and I am now in viana. I bought 2 new pairs of shoes in estella and sent my boots on to Santiago... So far new shoes feel OK. I have also experimented with different sock options depending on the terrain and my feet. So far so good.It felt sad saying goodbye to friends and walking short days mean new folks each day... But I'm hoping to get back into the swing of things now... But I'll keep listening to my toes.!
Hi Les!
Joing the club re blisters! I think about 75% of us suffer from them at one stage or another. However, let me just quote something I wrote on another forum - it may help [or not ;)]
BLISTERS:
This was my 4th camino. On the previous three I needed hospital treatment for severe blistering, which took much of the pleasure from the trek. I have tried all the usual remedies - Vaseline, powder, walking socks, massage, etc etc all to no avail.
This year I decided to use panty liners. If you fellows don't know about panty liners, just ask the lady in your life.
I would place the liner on the floor, sticky side UP, then carefully place my foot down onto it, so that it was at the same angle as my toes - and gave me protection along the ball of the big toe, and across the whole sole of my foot just below the toes. Just position it where you usually get blisters.
On occasion I had to buy the extra long liners/pads from chemists in Spain: the same principle applied, and the ends of the liner were simply folded across the top of my foot. I then put on my normal walking socks.
I am not suggesting for one moment that this will cure everyone's problems. Only that they cured mine. So it might be worth a try.
I also limited my walking distances to around 22-24 kms a day - occasionally down to 15 kms.
If that helps just one of you to avoid blisters, my time has been well spent.
Buen camino! [Without blisters!]

LesBrass, I'm glad you are checking back in with us. I keep imagining what you might be posting on the "Where I Walked Today" thread which I know you started during your planning days. :) You are more than your feet. I can't wait until you get to see the chickens in the church.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Les!
Joing the club re blisters! I think about 75% of us suffer from them at one stage or another. However, let me just quote something I wrote on another forum - it may help [or not ;)]
BLISTERS:
This was my 4th camino. On the previous three I needed hospital treatment for severe blistering, which took much of the pleasure from the trek. I have tried all the usual remedies - Vaseline, powder, walking socks, massage, etc etc all to no avail.
This year I decided to use panty liners. If you fellows don't know about panty liners, just ask the lady in your life.
I would place the liner on the floor, sticky side UP, then carefully place my foot down onto it, so that it was at the same angle as my toes - and gave me protection along the ball of the big toe, and across the whole sole of my foot just below the toes. Just position it where you usually get blisters.
On occasion I had to buy the extra long liners/pads from chemists in Spain: the same principle applied, and the ends of the liner were simply folded across the top of my foot. I then put on my normal walking socks.
I am not suggesting for one moment that this will cure everyone's problems. Only that they cured mine. So it might be worth a try.
I also limited my walking distances to around 22-24 kms a day - occasionally down to 15 kms.
If that helps just one of you to avoid blisters, my time has been well spent.
Buen camino! [Without blisters!]
Good to hear from you. We are starting to see lots of limping people with feet problems so do take it easy . We are in Carrion. Hubby has had 2 small blisters which he fixed quickly with needle and thread method but I have not had a problem. We both have one black toenail each! I trained wearing two thick wicking pairs of socks and use Vaseline everyday BUT from what I have seen there is no right or wrong it is what suits you.
We criss cross a number of people and are looking forward to having dinner tomorrow night with a couple who are a day behind us that we have met and walked with. We keep our own pace and have rest days when we need it. What has touched us is the helpful Spanish people and several have just wanted to touch me because I have come so far to their country. It has been humbling Buen camino enjoy

LesBrass .. Sorry about those nasty blisters , sounds like your still upbeat and tenacious . Good for You! Keep at it!

( 4 days until Orisson .. :) ohhh Boy. )
Ooooh, that means you should be there today, I think! Buen Camino Fred!

Now in Roncevalles! ... the past two days have very straining but so beautiful ..
next stop ...time and circumstances and the Camino will tell .

Ooooh, that means you should be there today, I think! Buen Camino Fred!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Now in Roncevalles! ... the past two days have very straining but so beautiful ..
next stop ...time and circumstances and the Camino will tell .
Fantastic! Did you stay at Orisson or hike through? I love this, "...time and circumstances and the Camino will tell." Ultreya!

Hi folks... Just a brief update. My blisters are better. My news shoes made a huge difference. I'm now in Burgos in a rather fancy hotel... But the wedding downstairs is keeping me awake.

As so many have said I've met lots of wonderful people... Looking forward to the next section now... Leon here I come!

Hope everyone is having a great walk... Wherever you are.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Fantastic! Did you stay at Orisson or hike through? I love this, "...time and circumstances and the Camino will tell." Ultreya!

Stayed.. I would have collapsed if I continued. The actual "climb" to Orisson was beyond anything I have ever experienced and to be frank never wish to experience again.View was gobsmacking beautiful.

Now in Burguete and enjoying a brewsky and pizza :)

Stayed.. I would have collapsed if I continued. The actual "climb" to Orisson was beyond anything I have ever experienced and to be frank never wish to experience again.View was gobsmacking beautiful.

Now in Burguete and enjoying a brewsky and pizza :)
Lol, just yesterday I finally wrote a blog post (no commercial interests) about the walk from St. J to Orisson. For some reason, while I was doing it, I was convinced that it was thirteen kilometers. I couldn't believe it when I discovered it was only 7. And I trained a lot on hikes with elevation gains! I was so happy I stayed at Orisson and I'm glad you did too.

Hi folks... Just a brief update. My blisters are better. My news shoes made a huge difference. I'm now in Burgos in a rather fancy hotel... But the wedding downstairs is keeping me awake.

As so many have said I've met lots of wonderful people... Looking forward to the next section now... Leon here I come!

Hope everyone is having a great walk... Wherever you are.
Now you're back on track Lesbrass

Isn't it better than you anticipated too?

Take it easy! It goes so quickly !
Annie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thinking of you LesBrass, and wondering how it's going? We haven't heard from you for quite awhile.

I do hope things are going well for you.

Hello folks... sorry I never got back to you all before... things went very well indeed!

This is what i did yesterday... and after a bit of a surreal and emotional drive...I'm back home. It took my husband 7 hours to drive what it too me 5 weeks to walk!

comp.jpg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Congratulations LesBrass!

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back