• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Just for fun...your muddy shoes

Time of past OR future Camino
Recent:Norte/Muxia- Spring '23
MadridWay- Fall '23
Hi all,
Many of us have been enjoying a daily dose of the photos being posted from the various caminos.

How about a quirky thread posting photos of muddy Camino shoes. Here are mine on the Norte, walking on a lovely blue slate trail...my shoes are nearly camoflauged.
Screenshot_20200803-111110~2.png

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Does snow count?
I've never taken pictures of the giant pads of sticky mud that have at times accumulated underfoot...next time...
Walking into next to the Burgos airport on the way to the river route was memorable - 'Step-step-whack, step-step-whack,' trying (unsuccessfully) to knock the mud off with my poles.

Attachments

• 20150310_154855.jpg
    20150310_154855.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 42
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
This is the type of mud where you gain a full inch in height! 🙂
Ohh, Superman colors!
😅 I could use the extra inch because im so short but it was hard to walk, very slippery..it was like a really thick clay. had to stop often to dig it off with my trekking poles (yet another good use for poles)
Love my Hoka’s !😍

Last edited:
😅 I could use the extra inch because im so short but it was hard to walk, very slippery..it was like a really thick clay. had to stop often to dig it off with my trekking poles (yet another good use for poles)
Love my Hoka’s !😍
Yes me too re the height!
This is like Essex clay after the rain and feels like a ton weight on the legs

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes me too re the height!
This is like Essex clay after the rain and feels like a ton weight on the legs
Yes and with my knee brace it was agony.
The picture was taken on my way to Zumaia between Zarautz and Getaria On the high mountain route. Not one other pilgrim in sight and it was raining On and off. The day before I took the coast route from Zarautz to Getaria then back to hostel Blai Blai in Zarautz, I was asking for it...should have kept going 😜

I love Hoka's!
Love my Hoka’s !😍
June 2018 on the Le Puy I used Hoka's...loved them!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I absoutely loved the Fisherman's Trail, but it is nothing like a pilgrimage. It's its own stunningly beautiful hike, nothing wrong with that...just be prepared to dump sand out of your shoes some days. 😃

I absoutely loved the Fisherman's Trail, but it is nothing like a pilgrimage. It's its own stunningly beautiful hike, nothing wrong with that...just be prepared to dump sand out of your shoes some days. 😃
Thanks

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Not mine, but my wife's. Mine were just as bad.

Photo taken as we crossed the heathland after leaving La Virgen del Camino, near Leon.

Attachments

• MuddyBoots.jpg
    MuddyBoots.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 29
Not mine, but my wife's. Mine were just as bad.

Photo taken as we crossed the heathland after leaving La Virgen del Camino, near Leon.
Mine were just like that once, probably in the same area. The mud was so thick and sticky, I was barely able to pry it off with my pole, but did not get a picture.

Mine were just like that once, probably in the same area. The mud was so thick and sticky, I was barely able to pry it off with my pole, but did not get a picture.
I think it mostly clay Chrissy ...mud may drop off a lot easier. Clay just suctions itself like an octopus and wont let go 🤣🤣🤣🤣 on the norte I had to stop sit and dig it off with my stick every 5 feet

Yes, @Iriebabel, you have described it perfectly...yep, had to be clay! 👍
You're correct. It was a very sticky clay that weighed an extraordinary amount. We also had to stop frequently to try to clean it off with our walking poles.

But it was a very nice route to Vilar de Mazarife. Much nicer than following the N120 to Viladangos as we did last year. That was very tedious, just following the road the whole way.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You're correct. It was a very sticky clay that weighed an extraordinary amount. We also had to stop frequently to try to clean it off with our walking poles.

But it was a very nice route to Vilar de Mazarife. Much nicer than following the N120 to Viladangos as we did last year. That was very tedious, just following the road the whole way.
You saw my shoes in post#11 I felt like I was was carrying 2 extra mochillas on my foot 😂

Yes, pick your "tedious"...stopping often to tediously scrape clay off your shoes or walking tediously on the road. 😃
Ah yes. But if the sun had been shining it would have been a glorious walk across the heathland. Even with the rain and mud it was a nice route.

The walk alongside the road was still tedious even with the sun shining. If it had rained on that route it would have been doubly tedious, ugh!😥

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Very muddy trails on the Le Puy route in May/June 2018 - these pictures are taken between Auvillar and Castet Arrouy. A couple of trails were closed due to flooding. LindaView attachment 80511
I loved the Le Puy and was not too far behind you. I started on May 30th. We had some rain, but no flooding. I ended in Auvillar.

We loved it too, Chrissy😊 we started on the 20th. I remember one thunderstorm where Eileen and I sheltered under a shade set up for pilgrims in the front garden of a gite near Espreyac when a huge clap of lightening and thunder hit just over head! We screamed and ran down to the house where this lovely man welcomed us and insisted we come inside, dripping wet, fed us hot tea and biscuits while we waited for the storm to pass. Getting late in the day and still about 7k from Senergues where we were staying we asked if he would book a taxi for us - none were available so he rang his neighbours to take us. Two much older ladies turned up and drove us two drowned ozzie rats down the road, them not speaking a word of english and we not much better with our french! We were so grateful and reimbursed them for their kindness. The only few km skipped in two caminos - a reason to go back, I guess!

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...
Hello, We are planning to hike the Camino with our young children in September. We aren't tied to a specific route, but we only have 10 days to walk and our kids can only do ~10 miles per day...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.