• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Keen Koven Shoe?

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
Good people... have any of you worn the Keen Koven shoe?

I'm so happy that Keen have added wide fit shoes to their european site... but I'm a little dissappointed that the Targhee shoe isn't one of them. I have the choice of the Koven shoe or the Durand or Targhee II in the mid-boot/shoe.

I have such wide feet that I am really hopeful these wide fit shoes (3E) will be great for me... but I was thinking of a shoe rather than the mid-boot/shoe.

The Koven is not as good (spec wise) as the Targhee or the Durand... so I'm just interested in anyone who's worn these?

All advice very welcome!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am currently training with a pair of Keen Koven shoes...have used them on both long flat sections of desert as well as some quite steep hikes in the local mountains (much steeper than anything on the Camino) and they have been excellent both in comfort and function.

That being said, I have strong ankles and am not so concerned about the ankle support that would come with a high or mid boot. Your mileage may vary.

P.S. Also have wide feet and have had no fit issues.

Buen Camino,

-Jason

I have crummy ankles and still love my Kerns. I used to walk in boots but but now wouldn't think of wearing anything else. That's generic information, sorry...I have no idea of of the of the model. But they're basically lightweight mesh walking shoes. For my super wide forefoot these are a huge blessing!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
thanks for the replies!

I currently walk in Salomon gtx shoes so I'm happy to stay in a shoe... but would move up to the mid if the model was significantly better? Great to have some good feedback though! Thanks

I have been looking at the koven for a trip to walk Switzerland. For me they would be too much for the French route across Spain. The terrain is mild and there is some road walking as well. I worn the NewBalance leadville 1210..they also come in a wide. The waterproof gortex is hot and takes much more time to dry if they get wet. If it rains hard your feet will get wet with or without gortex. My concern is how fast the shoe will dry.

The Koven comes in a non waterproof version. I have wondered about these too. REI in the US doesn't carry them and I can't tell how they are different from the other models on the Keen site. I wear the Keen Voyageur, but also have wide feet so have wondered about the Koven and how different the wide version is. Let us know if you find out.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I brought the Koven WP shoe in the wide and it's a fantastic fit. I wore them for 4days and felt a couple of minor sore spots as they do feel a little hard to me because I'm so used to ASIC Kayanos which are super comfy. My walk is 11km up 2 hills on hard road which is approx 365mt above sea level at highest point. Then of course I have to come down & that's when I feel the sore spots. On the 5th day I developed at least 8 blood blisters on heels, toes & side of feet & I was in agony by the time I got home. It took days to stop hurting so I couldn't walk. I don't blame the shoes, I think it's more the fact that they are a trail shoe & not suited for hard roads going up & down hills everyday. I never put them on again but I think they could be perfect for the Camino. I'm now in a pair of ASIC trail shoes but they aren't as comfy as the Kayano. Since I have no way of trying shoes on to check fit I've decided I'm sticking with Kayanos for the Camino. I ordered them to come airmail but it looks like they are coming by ship & I won't get them in time. If they aren't here in next air mail on Monday I will order another pair & pick them up in Perth the day I fly out to Paris. The joys of living on a rock!!!

Thanks for the feedback folks.

@edandjoan - I've looked at the NewBalance shoes and would be tempted to try them but sadly they dont have the selection of wide fit shoes in France. I did email them but sadly I'm stuck with the choices on their French site... great shame as I think I would have liked them, and there are a few fans on this site.

@Lynda6798 - I suffered badly with blisters on my first Camino Frances and luckily for me a shop in Estella sorted me out with some Salomons. They worked but they are just a little too narrow and if I could buy a 'proper' wide fit shoe I'd give it a go... I did buy a second pair of Salomon for my second camino and they worked out ok... so maybe I'm over thinking it... but Salomon have also changed the shoe slightly... why is it never simple :rolleyes:

I love my Keen Newports and I wear these more as a day to day sandal rather than long distance walking... I think I should give the wide fit Keens a go and it only costs 15€ to send them back if they dont work out... @JillGat I'll keep you posted.

p.s. a little update! I chickened out of the Koven and ordered a pair of Targhee's :confused:

I was going to order the Koven's but cheked out the Amazon reviews and there were a number that suggested quality issues... enough for me to waver and go with the mid Targhee... which has many more favourable reviews.

I am just keen to see what a difference the wide fit makes... I'm hoping it will be a really positive improvement! I take a 3 or 4E and it's a real struggle to find a boot that works... especially in France where my big anglo-saxon feet are seemingly unique! :D

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
p.s. a little update! I chickened out of the Koven and ordered a pair of Targhee's :confused:

I was going to order the Koven's but cheked out the Amazon reviews and there were a number that suggested quality issues... enough for me to waver and go with the mid Targhee... which has many more favourable reviews.

I am just keen to see what a difference the wide fit makes... I'm hoping it will be a really positive improvement! I take a 3 or 4E and it's a real struggle to find a boot that works... especially in France where my big anglo-saxon feet are seemingly unique! :D

My 1st boots I ordered were the Targhee they were a small fit and tight. Finally found a site that gave great detail on fit and it said the Targhee fitted small go up half a size. To late I had them & couldn't return them. That's when I ordered the Koven because that comes in standard fit and wide fit. Anyway good luck I hope you find something.

@Lynda6798 - the Targhee has also just come up as wide but only in the Mid style... luckily they say on their site nowthat it's half a size small so I ordered up. I'll keep you posted!

p.s. I have to say my toes are really spoilt now wearing my Teva's... they hate being squashed into any shoe now! :D

@Lynda6798 - the Targhee has also just come up as wide but only in the Mid style... luckily they say on their site nowthat it's half a size small so I ordered up. I'll keep you posted!

p.s. I have to say my toes are really spoilt now wearing my Teva's... they hate being squashed into any shoe now! :D

I don't know how hard it is for you to get Altra trail shoes there. They have the widest toe box.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I don't know how hard it is for you to get Altra trail shoes there. They have the widest toe box.

I've not heard of these before but I've just looked and they say their toe box can fit a 4E :eek: but the rest of the shoe is normal. This might actually be perfect for me!!

The only niggle I've seen is that on the US site has an olympus 2.0 which looks good... and on the French site only has the older model? So maybe I'll bookmark this and check it out in a few weeks... then perhaps the new model will filter through? But, they do look like they might solve my problem! (I guess I should also check out amazon as they might have the new model!)

Have you used these? Do they give you the support you need? And are they built to last?

Thanks! I think I might love you :D:D:D

Thanks for the thought Jill but we don't have shops here that sell shoes or anything I need for this walk. I've brought some clothes on line but I won't have tried them out before walking the Camino. No way I could walk here in the clothes I'll wear on the trail it's just 2 hot for me. Same with a back pack. Can't buy one here and because we come under international mail some shops don't post here & if they do bulky items go on the ship & will take a couple of months to arrive & I don't have time. I could air freight things up but I'll pay more than double the price of what I'm sending & I've already had 2 pairs of boots that r wrong. I've decided on wearing ASICS because my feet are used to them. I'm just thankful I can do this walk and all will be ok I'm sure. Not long to go now, very excited.

@Lynda6798 it is really quite exciting having someone from Christmas Island doing the Camino - I wonder if you are the first? I think the Asics are a great choice, I wore them very happily on many caminos. There is a good hiking shop very close to the pilgrim office in SJPDP and several good hiking shops in Pamplona, and other places further along the trail. So anything you need you will be able to buy. Probably much cheaper than in Australia!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@Lynda6798 it is really quite exciting having someone from Christmas Island doing the Camino - I wonder if you are the first?

Thanks Kanga I'm glad you were happy wearing ASICS it reassures me I'm doing the right thing. Yes I think I am the 1st from Christmas Island. I know of 2 couples who are planning on doing it next year and a few more that want to know all about it when I return so a lot a of people here are very excited for me.......and of course a few that think I'm nuts haha. I should be pretty right for stuff. I have a few things waiting at my mums in Perth & I have a few things here. Im hoping my Jacket & pants come in this weeks mail because they should have been in last week mail so fingers crossed I get them & don't have to buy more. Living here you learn you can never rely on mail & there's no point stressing over it so if I don't have everything I need I'm happy to buy it in SJPDP.

I've not heard of these before but I've just looked and they say their toe box can fit a 4E :eek: but the rest of the shoe is normal. This might actually be perfect for me!!

The only niggle I've seen is that on the US site has an olympus 2.0 which looks good... and on the French site only has the older model? So maybe I'll bookmark this and check it out in a few weeks... then perhaps the new model will filter through? But, they do look like they might solve my problem! (I guess I should also check out amazon as they might have the new model!)

Have you used these? Do they give you the support you need? And are they built to last?

Thanks! I think I might love you :D:D:D

I am wearing the 2.0 Lone Peak, which is wonderful. The Olympus is not as wide and doesn't work for me. The older versions are all on sale like 50% off, which is a great deal. I might try the Lone Peak 2.5, which they say is more durably made. But the 2.0 version is great, too. A couple of others in the forum are wearing Lone Peaks, too. I am going back and forth between the Keen Voyageur and the Lone Peak. Either one, I will bring an extra pair of hiking sandals (the Chaco Unaweep in Wide).

@JillGat my Keen's arrived today and I have to say the extra width is wonderful. So much so it almost feels like they are too big, I'm not used to my toes not being squished.

I'm going to order a pair of the Altra and compare the two together. the biggest problem is that I won't really know until I go on a very long walk... and then I cant send them back. But I'm rehearsing all day so I'll wear them and see how they feel.

It just feels great to have a choice!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Les Brass,
I have recently purchased a pair of Keen Koven shoes, they do have plenty of room for wide feet, they are comfortable. But they have a design fault, the tapes through which the laces thread are very weak and if you pull hard they tend to break, also when walking, there is quite a lot of heal rise in the shoe, even when you tighten the laces. There have been a few comments on the Keen web site about these two issues. I will be replacing mine for another make this week
Wayne

Hi Les Brass,
I have recently purchased a pair of Keen Koven shoes, they do have plenty of room for wide feet, they are comfortable. But they have a design fault, the tapes through which the laces thread are very weak and if you pull hard they tend to break, also when walking, there is quite a lot of heal rise in the shoe, even when you tighten the laces. There have been a few comments on the Keen web site about these two issues. I will be replacing mine for another make this week
Wayne

Thanks Wayne - I'd read this about the laces, there were so many comments it did out me off and i went the the Targhee mid... I've been wearing them around the house and I love the width but I am going to try the Altra and compare as I would prefer a shoe... if possible

Hi everyone, I'm getting ready for my third walk on the Frances, having walked SJPP to Burgos in 2014 and Burgos to Leon in 2015.
For my first I wore a beloved old pair of Merrells, but they did me in on the shale and large stone paths, and I never really recovered from the descent into Zubiri. I decided that my soles hadn't been thick enough and I needed to ALWAYS wear double socks. Blisters all over and loss of toenails.
So, for my second, I bought Keen Kovens. The thick soles and double socks were cushion heaven, but my toes hurt a lot and I lost my big toenails. I was surprised, because I'd bought a 10 instead of my usual 9 or 9.5, but no matter how I tied the laces, my toes seemed to bang into the front of the shoe.
So now I'm flummoxed. Should I stay with Koven and buy a half or full size larger? Or should I try yet another brand or style?
This is an older thread but hoping for some new guidance!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.