Keen sandels

Betty Bauer

Feb 2, 2014
United States
Time of past OR future Camino
October (2026)
Do they stretch when they are being broken in? My guess is yes ... but I also really hope the real answer is yes ... since the one's I've just bought are a bit snug in terms of getting my foot (and I have small feet) all the way into them. I know the base won't change, I'm just thinking of the upper part.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

lynnejohn

Veteran Member
Mar 19, 2006
Frances(2005), VDLP(2007), Madrid(2009), Ingles(2009), Sur (2011), VDLP(2011)-partial, VDLP(2014)
Don't buy them. If they are snug, they don't fit. Buy something else that fits, and wear your socks, if that's what you intend to do.. Breaking in shoes is chancy - some shoes never break in. I've worn Keens and worn them right out of the store and they never fit any differently months later.

Reactions: Betty Bauer
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Phillypilgrim

Apr 14, 2013
Philadelphia, PA USA
C F Sept.(2013) Camino de Madrid & Finisterre/Muxia Sept. (2014)
Finisterre/Muia June (2017).
Agree with lynnejohn. They should fit with with socks on. I brought Keen Whisper waterproof sandals and loved them on the trail, with or without socks. I got them 1/2 size larger than normal.

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
May 3, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
solowalk2020.travel.blog
walking every day for the rest of my life
yes, but no. I bought a pair that fit perfectly and I wore them for three years - always perfectly comfortable. When I replaced them, the new pair (same style, same size) was much too tight so I went up a size. It was still snug, but I talked to myself the way you have talked to us. I got blisters after a few days of 15+km. I have since ditched those sandals and have done walks up to 30km and not had a hint of a blister (just one hot spot teh day I did not wear liner socks as well as woolen socks and y feel slipped round a bit causing too much friction)
I would highly advise you AGAINST those sandals in that size.

Nov 1, 2008
Portland, Oregon
www.caminosantiago2.blogspot.com
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
Shoes just depend on the person.
Honestly.
There is no "one type fits all.'
Example: My friend Patty's feet looked like hamburger by the time we arrived in Los Arcos.
She bought a pair of Keen sandals and was happy all the way to Santiago.

I tried on every pair of Keen Sandals in REI last year and they all hurt my feet like heck!
I have hobbit feet - narrow heels, VERY wide toes, and a high instep.
New Balance trail shoes on an SL-2 shoe last work for me.

That said, the NB shoes have always lasted quite well for 2 Caminos.
Last year, by the time I finished, I was holding my pair together with duct tape.
So ya nevah know...

Reactions: AnnieH61
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

MM4214

Feb 22, 2013
Good call Betty.
I love my Keen sandals and have worn them in for the past year but as I approach my due Camino date (sounds like a much awaited baby doesn't it), I am preserving the wear and tear on them by only training in them every few weeks on short walks. I don't want to break a new pair in before May 13th- my due date!!!

Reactions: Betty Bauer

weradln

Aug 20, 2012
Fort Collins, Colorado USA
I wore Keen Newport sandals every day for over a year. There is no break in period with them. Walked a mile or two most days and did a few 10 mile hikes over very rocky trails with them. But I ultimately developed foot problems due to the minimal cushioning they provide. I have since switched to ECCO Sport Terra VG Fisherman sandals which are very similar to the Keens but with a far better foot bed & cushioning. I'm planing on wearing them on the Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

cher99840

Veteran Member
Dec 28, 2012
Rochester MN
2013, 2017 Camino Frances SJPP-Santiago
2015 St. Olav's Way Oslo-Trondheim
2017 VdlP Seville-Merida
I love my Keen sandals. They were my "second shoe" on the Camino and I walked in them about a third of the time as well as evenings after the walk. They never stretched but they did wear out and are good for nothing now except yard work (support vanished). I have replaced them with an identical pair because they served me well. They took no breaking in at all.

Betty Bauer

Feb 2, 2014
United States
October (2026)
I have my second pair now and I think I've discovered the answer to at least part of the mystery for me. This may be true for all the Keen sandal models, I don't know, but the way the lace tightens everything (including around the ankle) at once seemed to push my foot backwards in the smaller size. I suppose it wanted my ankle to be smaller or something, since I normally wear shoes sized for people more than 6 in. shorter than I am. I'll have to see how these work.

Most read last week in this forum

The standard response to what to do when you get bed bugs, is to wash and dry everything at 60 degrees. But if you do that to your silk sleeping bag liner or your merino socks or t shirts or down...
I will do the Camino Frances from mid June to mid July and will start in Pamplona. Should I take a fleece/cold weather garment?
Hey all! Having rabbit holed many, many packing lists, I'd love y'alls feedback on my packing list - https://lighterpack.com/r/p6hm36 For context, I'm 49, medium experienced hiker, weigh 200lbs...
The new "Experience" line from Altra looks interesting. Has anybody tried them yet? I will order a pair of Altra Experience Wild and report back after some day hikes. They have the traditional...
Does anyone have experience with the Patagonia Cool Daily long sleeve hoody on the Camino? Last summer on the Norte I wore the REI Sahara long sleeve t-shirt and while I liked it I found it a bit...
Having had two sets of poles taken from me at the airport on my return flight (traveling cabin luggage only) I want to buy poles cheaply on arrival before O begin my Camino..either in Santiago or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.