• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Km from Oviedo to santiago via north route

• Thread starter Deleted member 50230
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 50230

Hello,
I just finished walking from Ponferrada to Santiago early this september, and I am already planning my next Camino of 2017 :)
So, I thought about walking from Leon up the San Salvador to Oviedo, but I am not sure If I want to walk the Primitivo or The Northern route from there to Santiago.
I know that the Primitivo is about 321 Km, but how many K's are there in the northern route, starting from Oviedo?

And ofcourse, which one is nicer? easier?

Thank you for your help!
Ultreia.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
. . . . .
I know that the Primitivo is about 321 Km, but how many K's are there in the northern route, starting from Oviedo?
And of course, which one is nicer? easier?

Welcome Tal,
It is about 30 kilometers from Oviedo to Avilés. You can then do your homework on the Norte from a site like Gronze :-
http://www.gronze.com/camino-de-santiago/caminos/guia-del-camino-del-norte
For me it is a no brainer! The Primitivo every time :)

Enjoy your planning, you have plenty of time.
Tio Tel

Hello,
I just finished walking from Ponferrada to Santiago early this september, and I am already planning my next Camino of 2017 :)
So, I thought about walking from Leon up the San Salvador to Oviedo, but I am not sure If I want to walk the Primitivo or The Northern route from there to Santiago.

And ofcourse, which one is nicer? easier?

Thank you for your help!
Ultreia.

Tal:

Which one is nicer is a matter of personal opinion.

The Norte, up to Galacia, is a mostly seaside hike with some beautiful ocean views. It then turns inward and becomes rural until it connects with the Frances.

The Primitivo is a much more rural route but has some beautiful mountain views, in particular during Spring season.

The Primitivo, imo, is day in and out a tougher route, from Oviedo, and has less hard pan walking. The most difficult part of the Norte is the first third. The ugliest part of the Norte is from Gijon to Aviles, very industrial.

All that said, I would recommend the Salvador/Primitivo combination. You can save the Norte for another Camino.

Ultreya,
Joe

Thank you Joe! From what you are writing, It seems like if I want to take an "easier" road, The northern way from Oviedo is a wise choice, since I am skipping the first third of it.
It might be a better choice, since my "big plan" is to start in St. jean pied de port and walk along the french way to Leon, and then had up the San Salvador etc'...
The finish point, hopefully, should be Fisterra, So maybe taking an easier road might be better health wise (that is, for the legs).

I walked the Norte from Irun last year.
This year I went back and walked the Primitivo.

Both are great Caminos.
The Primitivo is a bit more difficult due to more frequent elevation changes

The Norte is not exactly easy and ( in my opinion only) more varied with outstanding countryside and ocean views.
I actually preferred the Norte.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
From people who walked the Primitivo with me this spring, the toughest is the Salvador, but it's short. I have walked from San Sebastian to Llanes on the Norte and loved the first bit to Santader, plus Santillana. Loved all of the Primitivo until it reaches Melide.

Thank you both! It's very helpful!
I'm curious to know how did it go for you and what did you do? God willing, I start in SJPdP at the end of May to Leon and then take the Salvador followed by the Primitivo, hoping to reach Santiago around July 5th, but I'm in panic mode right now as I just learned that the primitivo is very rainy. I'm not afraid of walking, but of the rain. Oh no... Share you experience, please.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm curious to know how did it go for you and what did you do? God willing, I start in SJPdP at the end of May to Leon and then take the Salvador followed by the Primitivo, hoping to reach Santiago around July 5th, but I'm in panic mode right now as I just learned that the primitivo is very rainy. I'm not afraid of walking, but of the rain. Oh no... Share you experience, please.
I haven't heard that the Primitivo is particularly rainy, but I haven't done it yet. I'm on the Frances now with a similar plan, but I will connect to the Norte from Oviedo.

Tal hasn't returned to the Forum since October 2016. We'll have to guess that he had a good time. I don't know where you heard about rain on the Primitivo, was it an experienced friend?

If you are really concerned about possible weather conditions you could try looking at a website such as Aemet that provides historical records and seasonal averages. But then the Primitivo is in North West Spain, as is Santiago and in North West Spain it rains sometimes.

happy planning

I haven't heard that the Primitivo is particularly rainy, but I haven't done it yet. I'm on the Frances now with a similar plan, but I will connect to the Norte from Oviedo.
How many miles in the Norte from Oviedo, actually from Aviles, I believe, we connect there first? Thank you kindly!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Tal hasn't returned to the Forum since October 2016. We'll have to guess that he had a good time. I don't know where you heard about rain on the Primitivo, was it an experienced friend?

If you are really concerned about possible weather conditions you could try looking at a website such as Aemet that provides historical records and seasonal averages. But then the Primitivo is in North West Spain, as is Santiago and in North West Spain it rains sometimes.

happy planning
I was finally doing some research about my ‘plan’ and read that in a Camino blog or something... not accurate?

Thank you kindly for your input. I’m just concern if not having waterproof shoes or boots will be a problem.

How many miles in the Norte from Oviedo, actually from Aviles, I believe, we connect there first? Thank you kindly!
My app tells me 313 from Avilés to Santiago plus 29 km Oviedo - Avilés. 342 total. Did you see my post on your other thread with my proposed 13 day plan for Avilés to Santiago?

My app tells me 313 from Avilés to Santiago plus 29 km Oviedo - Avilés. 342 total. Did you see my post on your other thread with my proposed 13 day plan for Avilés to Santiago?
Thank you kindly! I saw it. Made a screenshot to keep it in case I need it. I really want to try the Primitivo and not have to worry about getting waterproof shoes or different gear, but I don’t think I would enjoy long, wet days after days... so wanted a plan B just in case. Thanks again!

Thank you kindly! I saw it. Made a screenshot to keep it in case I need it. I really want to try the Primitivo and not have to worry about getting waterproof shoes or different gear, but I don’t think I would enjoy long, wet days after days... so wanted a plan B just in case. Thanks again!
It could just as easily rain on the Norte as the Primitivo. They are both in the Northwet corner of Spain.

It could just as easily rain on the Norte as the Primitivo. They are both in the Northwet corner of Spain.
That's a great point! But will the weather be worst up in the mountains vs the coast? Also, muddy roads vs. asphalt roads perhaps?

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.