A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Knee length macabi as a rain skirt

2020 Camino Guides

Eve Alexandra

Camino(s) past & future
Astorga to Santiago in '17
St Jean to Astorga/Santiago to Muxia in '20
I have the longer one already that I was planning to take to throw over leggings if it rains. But I hate how much it weighs (11ish oz). Then I got to thinking perhaps the shorter one would be fine for some rain protection along with a rain jacket in April/May. I am not looking for the protection of rain pants...just for a little more coverage in case of a deluge. Thoughts? And does anyone know how much the knee length one weighs (sz lg)?

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
Hello, Eve! I remember you. I recall you having quite a few posts before your first camino when you were preparing to walk, but didn't hear afterward how you fared; maybe I just missed it.
Glad to see you are planning another camino. Welcome back to the forum!

Last edited:

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
How about a rain kilt/skirt. This one weighs 65 gm/2.3 ounces.

Eve Alexandra

Camino(s) past & future
How about a rain kilt/skirt. This one weighs 65 gm/2.3 ounces.

I could take a standard rain skirt, but I was thinking dual purpose. A skirt is useful after an albergue shower to get covered without having your pants touch the gross wet floor. lol And if I needed to, I could wear it to hike in, or to wear in the evenings.

Eve Alexandra

Camino(s) past & future
Hello, Eve! I remember you...Kanga's cousin! I recall you having quite a few posts before your first camino when you were preparing to walk with her, but didn't hear afterward how you fared; maybe I just missed it.
Glad to see you are planning another camino. Welcome back to the forum!
I did ask a lot of questions in 16 and early 17! :D Camino was fabulous. Took a year off to do a yoga/walking thing in Ireland, and am very much looking forward now to finishing the steps I missed the first time. And maybe the Norte after that. ;) #obsessed

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
@KJFSophie posted a really awesome hiking skirt quite a while ago. It came in some really cool patterns and in two lengths. I think it may have been wrap around, very flattering in the pictures and I was impressed. You could PM her to send you the link.
Happy planning!

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Thanks for the update, Eve! I was mistaken about you being Kanga's cousin.

Buen new Camino! 😊

Last edited:

Colette Z

Happy Pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
CF- Finisterre-Muxia 03/17; Camino SK 10/17; Norte 03/18; Ingles 11/18; Augusta 03/19
I have the longer one already that I was planning to take to throw over leggings if it rains. But I hate how much it weighs (11ish oz). Then I got to thinking perhaps the shorter one would be fine for some rain protection along with a rain jacket in April/May. I am not looking for the protection of rain pants...just for a little more coverage in case of a deluge. Thoughts? And does anyone know how much the knee length one weighs (sz lg)?
Super lightweight option is a rain kilt. Small, almost weightless, super practical and quick on and off for those days that just can’t decide what it wants to do. Also great for wind protection on chilly days.

Eve Alexandra

Camino(s) past & future
Super lightweight option is a rain kilt. Small, almost weightless, super practical and quick on and off for those days that just can’t decide what it wants to do. Also great for wind protection on chilly days.
Colette, how the heck are you, woman???!!! <3 So good to see your face! Every time I think about my camino I remember how we talked because we started like 2 days from each other. lol

I could go with a rain kilt. I may do that. I was just thinking that a knee length macabi can be used as evening wear, to put on my bottom half directly out of the shower so my pants don't touch the wet floor in an albergue, and if necessary, I could hike in it too. Still kinda debating what I want to do. That's why I'm wondering how much it weighs.

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2006,08,09,11,12(2),13(2),14,16(2),18(2) Aragones 11,12,VDLP 11,13,Lourdes 12,Malaga 16,Port 06
I love my Macabi skirts and have worn one the last several caminos.
It protects my legs from rain, especially when coupled with my ALTUS.
I generally walk in March/April/May and see plenty of rain, but never really have gotten soaked.
No need for a rain skirt in my opinion.

Eve Alexandra

Camino(s) past & future
I love my Macabi skirts and have worn one the last several caminos.
It protects my legs from rain, especially when coupled with my ALTUS.
I generally walk in March/April/May and see plenty of rain, but never really have gotten soaked.
No need for a rain skirt in my opinion.
Definitely don't need both, I agree.

gittiharre

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF Austria Czech Le Puy Geneva RLS V. Jacobi V. Regia V. Baltica/Scandinavica Porto Muxia
I could take a standard rain skirt, but I was thinking dual purpose. A skirt is useful after an albergue shower to get covered without having your pants touch the gross wet floor. lol And if I needed to, I could wear it to hike in, or to wear in the evenings. I am all for dual purpose.
Yes I think it is a good idea. The Macabi sheds raindrops and dries really quickly. The knee length one looks smart too.

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 7 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 46 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 172 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 278 24.4%