• PLEASE NOTE: Please think twice before you travel to Spain now. More here.

Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.

Knee Problems that you can fix yourself - knee effusion

Year of past OR future Camino
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(May 2018)
VdlP (2022?)
Many of us get joint problems walking a Camino, particularly as we get older.
I now have a torn meniscus and water on the knee a.k.a. knee effusion.
I was searching for home remedies to these problems, so that I can start preparing for my 2022 Camino.

I came across this wonderful Video. You can fix it yourself in these simple steps. Who knew!
You might want to add some of this gear to your First Aid kit @David ?

WARNING> If you are squeamish ........do not watch! :eek:

You have to click Play and then click "watch this video on YouTube" as the author doesn't want it shared outside YouTube.

Last edited:
Camino Passport
Original passport made by the Cathedral in Santiago de Compostela. Shipped from Santiago all around the world with DHL.
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
Well that was entertaining! :eek:🤣

There is a reason we pay doctors a lot.
And a little knowledge is a really dangerous thing.
His sterile tecnique is appalling...and you would think he'd want a steadier hand than 3 shots of tequila would offer. But hey...people will do anything. I hope he didn't give himself a raging infection. But I gotta hand it to him for courage.

I could actually imagine doing this at home if there were somebody in the family who had the appropriate medical skills to do it for me. But you sure as heck wouldn't find me trying something like this! (Given where you live, Rob, fortunately you're not pushed to try something like that because of a lack affordable medical care.)

Last edited:

nathanael

Frances, Norte, Plata,
Well that was entertaining! :eek:🤣

There is a reason we pay doctors a lot.
And a little knowledge is a really dangerous thing.
His sterile tecnique is appalling...and you would think he'd want a steadier hand than 3 shots of tequila would offer. But hey...people will do anything. I hope he didn't give himself a raging infection. But I gotta hand it to him for courage.

I could actually imagine doing this at home if there were somebody in the family who had the appropriate medical skills to do it for me. But you sure as heck wouldn't find me trying something like this! (Given where you live, Rob, fortunately you're not pushed to try something like that because of a lack affordable medical care.)
pay doctors? I don't we in Canada are fortunate to have free medical which includes doctor and hospital visits.

Silver Oxide Camino de Santiago pendent
Camino de Santiago pendent that has a shell on the front, and "Camino de Santiago" engraved on the back. Comes with a black cord. Pendent is slightly larger than a 50 euro cent coin, about 25mm.
Camino Masks
12 different designs, shipped world wide from Santiago.

john newman

Kiwi Member
Frances (2015)
Le Puy (2016)
Vézelay (2019)
Norte (2019)
Hey Robo
Not sure if you were serious but some clown might actually try this.
This video is of an ejit trying to avoid medical bills by experimenting on himself. Wait till he has to deal with the costs of septic arthritis and the consequent knee replacement.
Don’t try this at home!
Sorry if I’m a wet blanket but this is dangerous stuff.
John

2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store

bergmannfamily

none
That guy has gonads bigger than his brains. As an ER doc with 29 years experience I cringe at stuff like this.

Draining a knee is not done if it can still bend 90°. The approach from a sitting position is not very successful. The 'sterile technique' is appalling. Don't try this at home, or on the trail. Fluid does not stop you from walking, the underlying injury does (meniscal tears, etc).

(I personally have had multiple meniscal tears and am now the proud owner of bilateral knee replacements due to arthritis)