• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ladies: I would love to hear your stories!

mbrown

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2019)
Hi All,

As a woman about to embark on her first camino, I've been a bit nervous, so I was curious about what other women's experiences were like. In my attempts to do research on some peregrinas and their stories on social media, I was wishing there was an Instagram account of sorts to condense it all – to feature some women who have done a camino, any blogs or accounts they may run, and a little bit of their camino stories. So I started one! If any of you would be willing, I would love to talk to you a little bit about your stories and share it on the account. It's been such a joy and a comfort to hear about you all from afar, and it's an honor to be among you.

Buen camino.
-m

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi All,

As a woman about to embark on her first camino, I've been a bit nervous, so I was curious about what other women's experiences were like. In my attempts to do research on some peregrinas and their stories on social media, I was wishing there was an Instagram account of sorts to condense it all – to feature some women who have done a camino, any blogs or accounts they may run, and a little bit of their camino stories. So I started one! If any of you would be willing, I would love to talk to you a little bit about your stories and share it on the account. It's been such a joy and a comfort to hear about you all from afar, and it's an honor to be among you.

Buen camino.
-m
There is a Facebook group, Camigas, just for women on the Camino

https://www.facebook.com/groups/CaminoBuddySystemForWomen/

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Is there anything for women who do not use social media? I leave Scotland on 26/4 for the Francés.

My Camino two years ago was a celebration of my retirement and turning 60, which I did the day after I arrived in Santiago. I, too, was so nervous before taking off but amazed at how quickly after beginning it all felt like home.

Here's my blog: https://walkingthecamino2016.wordpress.com/

Hola, I know stories are inspiring, but don't expect your experience to mirror one else's. I walked the Camino solo a year ago because I was inspired by the many women of all ages I saw walking it alone. Although I had walked it before with my husband, this was my best Camino ever because I discovered for the first time in my life I didn't have to worry about anyone but myself. I felt like I could do nothing wrong. I also met more people because other women would ask to sit with me.
Your Camino will be unique and you will be writing your own story. Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
don't expect your experience to mirror one else's.

Right about that. I couldn't even mirror my first which was so amazing. I wanted my second to be the same or close to it, it wasn't and unfortunately I disappointed myself, yes only myself to blame. I made my second too complicated and structured. To me that isn't fun. Fortunately and Praise to God, I have been given another opportunity to create anew.

For my third, coming this summer, I am taking a different route which helps throw all expectations out the window. I have that newness feeling again. Not knowing what's around the next corner is part of the beauty of a pilgrimage. No expectations, throw caution to the wind, simple. Just one foot in front of the other.
Eat, Walk, Sleep, Repeat. 💖

As far as I am concerned ignorance is bliss when comes to walking the Camino. Plan your first few days, your route to your starting point then learn to let go. Let the Camino provide and you will experience truth and freedom.

@mbrown: I am very excited for you to be able to write your own story.

May His Peace be with You,
Buen Camino
:) 👣

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi All,

Buen camino.
-m
Hi. I am now 63 and started with my first Camino in 2006, the Camino Frances.
Since then I have covered many pilgrim routes all over Europe. Often, but not always solo.
Walking these routes has become my major passion in life.
I plan to keep going as long as I can and enjoy it.
Like others have said, it is best to set off with an open mind and not too many expectations. You may love the experience or find it is not for you....

Hi All,

Buen camino.
-m

Hello,
I share your joy. You are in for a wonderful adventure. I traveled the CF twice: once with a friend and once alone. While I cherish the time my friend and I had together, walking on my own changed my life. I am a stronger and more confident woman.

As I anticipated my solo Camino, I was so afraid of many things-including that deep loneliness. Sure, I hit a couple lows, but that is life. And those lows were followed by unexpected joys. No matter how tired, sweaty, and sore I became, I was never happier. I cherish every step and will return to CP this summer...alone.
Just a few other thoughts...
Be open to meeting others.
Don’t plan too much.
Don’t rush.
Trust—— the Camino will take care of you.
Enjoy!

I am just about to finish my Camino and whilst I am by nature strong and independent, loving my own company this experience was sometimes really tough because I got injured and am often in so much pain that everything becomes just too overwhelming. Even though I made the long trip from Australia I would not have hesitated to go back home a few days ago, had it not been for the fact that my brother had been driving down from Germany to meet me in Santiago, we haven't seen each other for 12 years, so I wasn't going to go home without meeting with him first. But yes, it would have been nice at times to just hand the reins over to someone else and not worry about getting from one place to another, finding a doctor etc.
It certainly made me think twice if I would attempt such a trip alone again, which is a whole new perspective for me as I always felt invincible 😀.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sending you healing love and light 🙏🏻
How did you get injured?
Have a wonderful reunion with your brother. Mary

Hello ladies!
I'm so glad to be a part of this community!
If you can, please, help me with one question I'm worried about.
Yesterday I found out that I'm pregnant 🤗!
I was planning to have Camino during this May. My doctor told that I can go if there will be some km each day, not per 30 km as I planned at the beginning.
Do you think it's stupid to start Camino in this situation? Thanks a lot!

Only my opinion but as a mother with three children, I would put the welfare of my unborn babe first. Walking is great for pregnancy ... when you are stress free. Ask yourself how stressful your particular Camino will be? All depends on how many weeks pregnant you are, if less than 14 weeks, I would not risk a challenging walk. Perhaps take time to contemplate your decision. If you are walking the last 100km and sending luggage ahead , perhaps all would be well. All the best x

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Get another opinion from a doctor who works with women athletes. Runners in particular. Perhaps the national Olympic team medical staff can find you one.

Hello ladies!
I'm so glad to be a part of this community!
If you can, please, help me with one question I'm worried about.
Yesterday I found out that I'm pregnant 🤗!
I was planning to have Camino during this May. My doctor told that I can go if there will be some km each day, not per 30 km as I planned at the beginning.
Do you think it's stupid to start Camino in this situation? Thanks a lot!
If you’ve always been active and in good shape and are feeling good in your pregnancy, I say YES!!! Go for it. You don’t have to do 30k a day. What Camino route will you be taking?

Congratulations 🎈🎊🎉

May His Peace be with you.
👣😎

I don't think you are in any way risking your pregnancy or the welfare of your unborn, by walking the camino during your first trimester.

What you might find, though, is that fatigue and nausea could be a problem, and either take away the enjoyment of your walk or force you to do short days. There is really no way to know in advance how it will be. If you are able to have a "plan B" to go home early without a huge financial penalty, then go ahead and start it. See how it goes.

If you have a problem, it will not be the fault of having walked on the Camino. Roughly 20% of confirmed pregnancies end in miscarriage during the first trimester and the Camino is not to blame! Most of them don't even require medical intervention, but some do, so you should ensure that you have appropriate health care or insurance that will cover you in Spain.

(Sadly, I have been looking at those statistics this week as my daughter-in-law is suffering one right now, at 16 weeks.)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you’ve always been active and in good shape and are feeling good in your pregnancy, I say YES!!! Go for it. You don’t have to do 30k a day. What Camino route will you be taking?

Congratulations 🎈🎊🎉

May His Peace be with you.
👣😎
Thanks for answer!
I was planning camino frances. But I don't think I will go. We decided that this time we will just travel around Spain by car.
And dream of my life will be postponed a little bit :)

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back