• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Landing late in Biarritz

Jimmy C.

Hi All, Jimmy C here. Introduced myself last week. I have a question for anyone who has been in my situation. That is....We. My daughter and I, land at 15.30 in Biarritz. This means we cant catch the train to St. Jean till 9.15 and therefor land too late for the Hostals. Is there a bus service from Bayonne to St. Jean or would a taxi be prohibitively expensive. it would kill me to have to stay a night in Biarritz or Bayonne and hence start the Camino a day late. Although at a push the early train the next morning would get us in about 9.30 or so. But that would mean spending no time in St. Jean.
Anyone any Ideas??? We land on the 4th of September by the way. A Sunday. would that affect things any? Boy I'm getting really excited thinking about this now. Thanking you. Jimmy

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Jimmy,

I think there is a train just after 6pm, it gets you into SJpdp at about 7.40pm. There is a lot of guest houses as well as albergues, dont worry about it, just get yourself over there, there will be some form of accommodation available for you. I paid about 25 euros to stay in a double room in a guesthouse, about 3 doors down from Accueill(pilgrim office). The Pilgrim Office(0559 370509) is open to about 9.30pm/10pm, they will be able to help you.
Jimmy C. said:
My daughter and I, land at 15.30 in Biarritz

Go to Bayonne after landing, the airport is in between Biarritz and Bayonne, a taxi will be about 12-20 Euros, and takes about 10 minutes.

I arrived at Bayonne at about 9am, but because of a train strike the next replacement bus wasnt until 6.30pm, i asked at the taxi rank and was quoted 80 euros to SJpdp, i was expecting about 50-60, which is probably normal, i spent a lovely day in Bayonne waiting for the bus.
Good Luck

Mike

Jimmy C.

There is a bus that leaves Biaritz airport and goes to the railway station at Bayonne. The staff on the information desk will be able to tell you where to catch it.

I arrived in 2004 about the same time as yourself and had to kill a couple of hours in Bayonne because the bus took no time at all.

That is if they are not on strike, of course. :D

The rest of Mike's post is very sound advice.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Jimmy,
I did the same route last year, arriving about the same time in Biarritz.
My plan was to get the airport bus to Bayonne which departs from just outside the exit doors to the arrivals lounge. The bus stops at the train station in Bayonne. There are no buses to St Jean from either Biarritz or Bayonne. You are arriving on a Sunday unfortunately, so the weekday train at 18.11 arriving at St Jean at 19.37 does not run, which means waiting around for the next train at 21.09 arriving St Jean at 22.25. Fare is 9.10 euros. St Jean is a beautiful village and well worthwhile a couple of hours.
When I arrived at Biarritz, I was lucky that another pilgrim also wanted to go to St Jean and had booked a taxi, which we shared and it cost us 30 euros each (I believe the normal fare is 80 euros), which was great and it meant we were in St Jean by 4.30. I suggest that on the flight or in the arrival lounge at Biarritz if you see a pilgrim you ask if they would be interested in sharing a taxi. Look for backpacks, boots or any telltale signs. It is highly likely that there will be other pilgrims.
I also highly recommend the private albergue L' Esprit du Chemin - 30 euros for dinner, bed and breakfast. Big meals around a communal table and very friendly. It is almost opposite the Pilgrims Office which is open till about 9.30 or 10.00pm. Bookings at L'Esprit are essential as it is very popular (http://www.espritduchemin.org, info@espritduchemin.org)
For train timetables, http://www.voyages-sncf.com (A difficult site to navigate)
Buen Camino
David

Another alternative, which worked well for me, is to get a hotel such as Hotel Paris Madrid near the train station in Bayonne - a nice place to walk around by the way - and catch the early train to St. Jean. Go to the Pilgrim Office, see the town, eat lunch and leave in mid-afternoon for the 2-3 hour walk up to Orisson.

I have the same arrival time in SJpdp 7:45 and can't decide how to play the start, two options I'm looking at:
1. Stay one night in SJpdp and start mid to late morning and plan to stay at Orrisson (assuming it's still not too late to make reservations), or
2. Stay two nights in SJpdp (assuming you can stay 2 nights somewhere?) then do the full day to Roncesvalles.

I'll probably procrastinate and end up with option 2.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My understanding is you can stay two nights - or more - anywhere that is not a municipal albergue. If the place is a hostal or a hotel your money is as good as anyone else's.

You might be able to book into a SJPP hotel one night and then an albergue the next.

I think your decision will be made for you by a simple question; can you book into Orisson?

If you can't then you will need anything of 6 hours upwards to get to Roncesvalles which means a morning start.

ps if I had won the Euro millions I would have opened a new albergue in SJPP just for the pleasure of sending pilgrims on their way.

If you can afford a B&B, contact Tim Proctor who owns Errecaldia. If you ask nicely he might agree to pick you up at the train station (he only charges about €5 to do so) and give you a bed for the night. His beautiful B&B is right on the road into St Jean. Then you can start your walk in the morning.
http://errecaldia.com

Thank you all so much for your replies. I did actually try to reserve a couple of bunks in Chemin du whatever but have recieved no acceptance email as yet. Going this way means a taxi from Bayonne. If I dont get the aforementioned bunks ,we at least now know our other options. Thanks again, this really is a great information forum. Keep up the good work......Jimmy and Tanya

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi,
Jeff001 has suggested staying at Orisson. This is what I did also. It is very popular and thus essential to book. Ask for an inside room, as when I stayed many of the pilgrims were accomodated in tents for the same price as a room. It will make life easier if you can speak a little French, and also use French if possible in your email to book. The address is:
refuge.orisson@wanadoo.fr
Orisson is only 8 kms from St Jean but it is also the steepest part of the route from St Jean to Roncevalles.
Buen Camino
David

Hi Jimmy

In March this year I used this taxi/minibus service..
http://www.expressbourricot.com
At 60euro it's expensive but it gets you to SJPDP much quicker and allows you time to adjust before you start your walk.....and as Camino-David suggests, keep an eye out for other pilgrims in the airport who might need a ride and are willing to share the cost. I bumped in to a German girl and she was happy to give me 20euro(all I asked for) a win win.
Buen Camino,
Jim

If you coddle yourself too much to cure jet lag, it may be counter-productive:
Jet lag can occur when people travel quickly across several time zones, causing their internal biological rhythm to be out of synch with the new destination time. Sleep problems tend to be more common when people travel from west to east as it is more difficult to advance than to delay sleep time.

Coping With Jet Lag

To avoid jet lag, it is important to adapt yourself to the routine of your destination time zone as soon as possible. The following suggestions might help you avoid sleep problems when traveling:

Several days before traveling, try to gradually adjust your sleeping habits to the destination time zone.
As soon as you board the flight, reset your watch for the new time zone.
While on board, control sleeping, including naps.
Drink plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration. Dehydration makes it more difficult for the body to adjust to the new rhythm.
Limit your sleep to no more than two hours immediately after arrival.
Remember that daylight can help reset your internal "clock." Take a one-hour walk as soon as you get up in the morning.
Avoid excessive caffeine, alcohol, and tobacco.
Avoid social isolation.
Practice good sleep habits while away.
From WebMD (emphasis added)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...
As a new member of the forum who has been reading clandestinely for the past three months or so, I have to say how much I enjoy the entries--not simply for the collective wisdom from all of you...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back