• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Last day of hiking - Vers to Cahors

TMcA

Time of past OR future Camino
Pamplona to Santiago (2013)
Le Puy to Pamplona in segments (2013 - 2016)
Pamplona to León
After reading very positive reviews, I decided to opt for a bit of luxury at La Truite Dorée in Vers. Very comfortable room and the food was also very good. But I missed the family style meals that I had enjoyed every other day of my hike. As good as the food was, the overall experience fell short of my meals in gites and chambres d'hôtes.

My last day started in light rain, only the second day of rain during my fourteen days of walking. However it was to be a short day of only 16 or so kilometers to Cahors, so my spirits were high. I crossed the Lot River and climbed a long hill. I remember remarking to myself, at the top of this hill, that the signage was quite good. I followed a sign for Arcambal and the trail continued to climb. It was a rocky trail now dampened by rain and my eyes were more or less glued to the trail to prevent a fall. No one else was on the trail. At some point I realized that there were no blazes. Had I missed a turn? I continued because I felt I was going in the right general direction. The trail passed through very desolate country - just woods and an occasional abandoned or uninhabited farm building. I knew I was off the GR46 because there were no blazes at all. After about an hour I arrived at a small village. I first tried to request help at a farm where construction work appeared to be ongoing. No one answered my hail. Then I arrived in front of a house with a dog in the yard which barked loud and long. The dog was fenced in, so I waited to see if someone would appear. A woman poked her head out of the door of the house and I hailed her. She put a scarf on and came to the gate. I told her in French that I had lost my way and that I was looking for the chemin to Arcambal and Cahors. Just pass in front of my house, straight ahead, then keep to the left and when you come to, at this point she used a word I did not understand, it was not "carrefour" or "intersection", you turn toward Arcambal. Is there a sign there?, I asked. Oh yes. So off I went.

"Off" in this case meant another 45 minutes of walking with no signage of any kind indicating Arcambal or Cahors. But eventually I spotted the white over red balisage. I followed the blazes on this trail another 45 minutes by which time I should have been close to the Lot River if I had been walking on the GR46. But the river valley was nowhere in sight and so I knew that I was on another trail. A half hour later I came to another village, larger than the first. It was lunchtime and I heard people talking in a home close to the road. I hailed but no one answered. I walked a bit further and flagged down a motorist and repeated my "I've lost the way. How do I get to Cahors?" "Easy...turn around and go back to the stream. Turn left before the stream."

I turned around and started heading for the stream. But almost immediately a man emerged from the house where I had hailed and asked me if I needed help. I repeated myself: "I've lost the way and I'm looking for the GR to Cahors." "It's the other way, turn around and walk about 300 meters to the lake. There are signs there." And he said one more thing which comforted me, "Vous n'êtes pas la seule," meaning I was not the first person to have wound up lost in Aujols, the name of the town in which I found myself.

The lake was really a pond next to a roundabout. There were, indeed, markers. The first indicated Cahors 12 km back the way I had hiked. The second indicated the GR65 was 4.6 km in the opposite direction. A third sign was a road sign indicating Cahors via the D911 in an easterly direction. My instinct told me Cahors was to the west and none of these signs pointed in that direction. There was a Mairie just off the roundabout, but it was locked - lunchtime. I cogitated. I tried to flag down a motorist or two, but the cars were travelling too quickly. I looked at a map at a bus stop shelter. Still unsure I twice tried to locate someone at a chambre d'hôtes (L'Oustalet) behind the Mairie. On my second attempt, the owner came to the door and for the fourth time that day I repeated my tired lines and my desire to get back on the GR for Cahors. This very kind woman's name was Mme. Laville and she started describing for me a shortcut which headed in the direction I thought to be west. Something in my affect might have caused her to change her mind and she said, "It would be easier if I just take you in my car." And that is what she did - about 6 kilometers. I saw the sign for the GR and there was the only hiker I would see that day heading up the hill from the road. I thanked Mme. Laville again. Profusely. The sign said Cahors 11+ km, but I knew that I was on track again.

The rain had stopped by this point. I caught up with my fellow hiker but our conversation was brief. He struggled on the uphill and I left him with a "Bon chemin". The sun came out. A light breeze came up. My raingear dried and I put them in my pack. I walked the rest of the way in a T-shirt and shorts considering the kindness of Mme. Laville and the many wonderful interactions with others I had hiked with or dined with. It was a great way to finish my fourteenth day of hiking.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We also managed to get lost walking from Saint Cirq Lapopie to Cahors, but found our way across country using the GPS on an iPad.

We also managed to get lost walking from Saint Cirq Lapopie to Cahors, but found our way across country using the GPS on an iPad.
Eh bien, vous n'êtes pas la seule. :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Definitely not - and there were others too....2011-05-24 at 11-23-03 (1).jpg

Not a nice feeling to get so lost- but in the end the kindness of the woman in the chambre d'hôte will make for a lasting memory on your last day. Safe travels home.
Margaret

Wow what an interesting and lovely day and so many experiences. You met some wonderful, helpful and caring people if only briefly and yet they are firmly fixed in your mind, me thinks. Congratulations. I am waling Le Puy to SJPD starting in April next year and your experiences allay my fears of walking alone. Thanks for sharing this special day.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
TMcA, your story gives me the heebie jeebies. I am planning on walking part of the Le Puy route in 2015 and I am concerned about getting lost . . . . .and then wandering and wandering. I mean what would have happened had madame not been there? What do people do in these cases? I'm glad you made it out of your quagmire, but I'm certain my French isn't as good as yours. Does anyone know if people get badly lost on the Chemin?

TMcA, your story gives me the heebie jeebies. I am planning on walking part of the Le Puy route in 2015 and I am concerned about getting lost . . . . .and then wandering and wandering. I mean what would have happened had madame not been there? What do people do in these cases? I'm glad you made it out of your quagmire, but I'm certain my French isn't as good as yours. Does anyone know if people get badly lost on the Chemin?
My post was not intended to frighten anyone but rather to describe a wonderful end to my fourteen day hike. And that included an example of the random acts of kindness that one may encounter on this hike. The Chemin du Puy traverses very sparsely inhabited portions of France but that is part of its charm. And there are telephones, gites, and access to taxis in these rural areas. I was only ten miles or so from Cahors at the time I got lost lost. The very kind Mme. Laville spoke some English but she said my French was better than her English, so our communication was in French. If Mme. Laville hadn't helped me, the mayor's office would have opened or someone else would have happened along. I think I speak for many when I say that the Camino will provide a way, meaning that somehow we find a way to manage, to continue, even when we become lost, even when we are bothered by blisters or tiredness, even when we occasionally imagine that we cannot hike for yet another day.

In a total of 7 weeks on this route over two years, I've not encountered anyone with a tale like this. Worst case was my friend Marie-Hélène who walked in a circle one day, decided she'd covered enough kilometers, "put her pride in her pocket", stuck out her thumb and hitched a ride.

I worried before setting out as well. Now getting lost is the least of my worries.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Second thought.

Seeing no trail marks:
"I continued because I thought I was in the right general direction."

It's very hard to be sure if one's general direction, esp on a day without sun.

If you lose the trail, turn around and retrace your steps. I know that's hard advice to follow in hilly or rocky terrain, but I think it's the far more certain path to the route you've lost.

In a total of 7 weeks on this route over two years, I've not encountered anyone with a tale like this. Worst case was my friend Marie-Hélène who walked in a circle one day, decided she'd covered enough kilometers, "put her pride in her pocket", stuck out her thumb and hitched a ride.

I worried before setting out as well. Now getting lost is the least of my worries.
Thanks, Bill. That is good to know, but I'll take the bait. What are your worries on the Camino?

An experienced amie from Biarritz missed the balises into Vaylats, and eventually was 10 km off course. She flagged down a car for directions, and ended up getting a ride to the monastery. Anyone can get lost, but it helps to speak French to get unlost!;)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Does anyone know if people get badly lost on the Chemin?
While it is rather unusual to get badly lost, to be uncertain as to one's exact location is a daily part of pilgrim life. The balises can be obscured by vegetation, or you miss one due to distraction in conversation. The lodgings are seldom on the marked route. Shortcuts are the work of the Devil. And every GR route in France uses the same red/white marks. So when they cross, or merge, or divide, there is the potential for trouble. On the plus side, however, I found the schematic maps in Miam Miam Dodo to be quite satisfactory for staying on the route (I only wished they had sketch maps of the town streets, so I could find lodgings more easily).

Nothing in France is really remote, not in comparison to the US, Canada or Australia. A telephone call will bring you a taxi (Miam Miam has the numbers of local taxi services). We got "lost" a couple of times but never had to retrace our steps and I never felt unsafe or worried when it happened; we always found a way back along an intersecting path or road. It was very helpful having a smartphone with GPS and topographical maps pre-downloaded for each day's walk. That makes it virtually impossible to come unstuck - often we chose a variation because it looked interesting or we wanted to see something. The photo I posted is me showing our GPS reckoned position and comparing it to their maps. I don't speak French and they didn't speak English but common cause is a good teacher!

Thanks, Bill. That is good to know, but I'll take the bait. What are your worries on the Camino?

I think that is one of the glorious things about the Camino. I have very few worries when actually on Camino. Will I arrive during museum/post office/shop opening hours? Nothing of any consequence.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
While it is rather unusual to get badly lost, to be uncertain as to one's exact location is a daily part of pilgrim life. The balises can be obscured by vegetation, or you miss one due to distraction in conversation. The lodgings are seldom on the marked route. Shortcuts are the work of the Devil. And every GR route in France uses the same red/white marks. So when they cross, or merge, or divide, there is the potential for trouble. On the plus side, however, I found the schematic maps in Miam Miam Dodo to be quite satisfactory for staying on the route (I only wished they had sketch maps of the town streets, so I could find lodgings more easily).
Thank you Kitsambler. Your post is filled with stuff I need to know.

Nothing in France is really remote, not in comparison to the US, Canada or Australia. A telephone call will bring you a taxi (Miam Miam has the numbers of local taxi services). We got "lost" a couple of times but never had to retrace our steps and I never felt unsafe or worried when it happened; we always found a way back along an intersecting path or road. It was very helpful having a smartphone with GPS and topographical maps pre-downloaded for each day's walk. That makes it virtually impossible to come unstuck - often we chose a variation because it looked interesting or we wanted to see something. The photo I posted is me showing our GPS reckoned position and comparing it to their maps. I don't speak French and they didn't speak English but common cause is a good teacher!
Thanks, Kanga, this is reassuring. I was not planning on taking a phone, but maybe I should rethink that. I was also planning on getting the Michelin guide you suggested in another thread.

Thanks, Kanga, this is reassuring. I was not planning on taking a phone, but maybe I should rethink that. I was also planning on getting the Michelin guide you suggested in another thread.

As well as GPS, and camera, and translator, and a book to read, and electronic tickets, and explanations of monuments, sites, etc ..... a phone is handy for booking accommodation a day ahead, and letting the host know you want a meal. I understand the electronic version of Miam Miam Dodo makes it particularly easy because the maps are linked to the accommodation details which include the phone numbers for immediate dialling. As I've said elsewhere, if the phone was also able to take out the garbage bins my spouse would be redundant!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This is an interesting post, because when I get lost I panic, instinctively feel unsafe and become angry and can't wander through the area, accepting it for what it is and finding my way back on course without considerable emotion. (Unless it is Venice in the winter, full of misty, romantic nooks and winding alleys and stone walls to lean against when kissing...) This is food for thought. It is perhaps something I should work on here before heading off on my travels...

While it is rather unusual to get badly lost, to be uncertain as to one's exact location is a daily part of pilgrim life.

Hal and Sbrown, like Kitsambler said, occasionally, it's not easy to find the markings, especially on a variant, but the French GR marking system is pretty brilliant. The red and white trail markings include added arrows warning you to be alert for an upcoming left or a right turn. Sometimes there will be an an X to indicate that this is Not the correct direction.

I have only walked the section from Le Puy to Figeac but I suspect that what I found most frustrating would still be confusing in the rest of the Miam Miam Dodo. What shows up as a hamlet (with a name) on the Miam Miam Dodo maps may actually be only two houses, with no village signs. I was often unsure whether or not a community was big enough to show up on the map. Since I wasn't sure what I had actually passed, I didn't always know where I was until I came to a sizable place.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi- I am starting the Via Podiensis Camino at the end of the month. I know people swear by the MMDD guide book for this camino but I am not sure why. So far I have been making use of the...
Hello everyone! Well.. one week from today will begin my walk across France and Spain. I see a number of posts regarding a wave of walkers and room accommodation limitations. I am one who is...
Hi everyone, I’m currently on the GR 65 going from Le Puy to Conques. I walked this camino in 2014 and now I find myself not recognizing a single bit of literally anything and I’m wondering if...
Hi. Here's a problem to which I can't find a solution. Any suggestions gratefully received! Last October I walked from Le Puy to Conques, but had to return home due to a family crisis. I'm very...
Hi I am undertaking the Le Puy way commencing on 7 June 2024. For planning I have a Cicerone Guide by Dave Whiston. I have been trying to book dormitory style accommodation for the first stage...
hallo. We have been using La Malle Postale to transfer our luggage each night from Le Puy en Velay. We have bad backs. They have been a great company and very reliable. Unfortunately we have just...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back