• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Last Minute Advice

Shelby Pauletto

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
Hello past pilgrims, I need your help.

This Wednesday evening I am taking a nighttime bus to Sarria to complete the 110kms to Santiago de Compostela in four days. I have been studying here in Spain for almost a year now, and my goal is to complete this part of the Camino before I return to the states.

As I am taking this journey on my own, I am having many last minute doubts, questions, and fears. It was a spur of the moment trip, and I do not feel prepared. Whatever knowledge you may be able to share would be very much appreciated...

1) Should I be worried about the weather? Will pants and a sports jacket be sufficient?

2) I have cities I should make it to, but in the case that I don't make it there, will I be able to find sleeping arrangements easily?

3) I know you do not book albergues in advance, but are they easy to find upon arrival to the city?

4) What time do people usually begin their days?

5) Is there usually internet at the Hostels?

6) Packing wise, do I need to bring a small towel?

7) Where do I receive my pilgrims certificate? Can I get it when I arrive in Sarria?

These are just a few of my endless questions, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much in advance.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Shelby, I can see from your other posts that you have been given some help and encouragement already but here is my four-penny-worth:

1: Yes you should. This is Galicia in late winter / early spring depending on how much of an optimist you are. Pants and a Sports Jacket won't hack-it - unless you are talking water-proof / wind-proof and warm. This may be a language thing - sports jackets here in the UK tend to be made out of wool :D

2: Cities? There is really only Santiago, the rest of the places you will pass through will vary from hamlet (6 houses and a bar) to village (12 houses, a farm and a bar) to towns (shops and things as well). The Mayors of Sarria and Arzua may disagree with me.

3: Most Albergues are fairly clearly sign-posted. If in doubt ask a local or any-one carrying a back-pack.

4: Most Albergues will expect you to be gone by 8:00AM.

5: Nope. But it is generally available somewhere nearby.

6: Yes. Albergues do not (with very few exceptions) provide towels. Hostales and Hotels will.

7: You will need a Credencial ( a pilgrim passport easily obtained in Sarria) which you need to be stamped a minimum of twice each day between Sarria and Santiago if you wish to obtain a Compostella or Certificate of Distance (walked) from the Pilgrims' Office in Santiago.

Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Maybe another member can help with specific sources of a Credencial in Sarria but try the Iglesia de Santa Marina or the Tourist Office. I walked Sarria to Santiago in 4 days but I had started in St Jean so was well into the groove. Be careful, don't try to walk to far to soon.

Maybe another member can help with specific sources of a Credencial in Sarria but try the Iglesia de Santa Marina or the Tourist Office. I walked Sarria to Santiago in 4 days but I had started in St Jean so was well into the groove. Be careful, don't try to walk to far to soon.

May I ask what your stops were? Do you remember?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Maybe another member can help with specific sources of a Credencial in Sarria but try the Iglesia de Santa Marina or the Tourist Office. ....

You can also obtain a Pilgrim passport / Credencial in Sarria at the Xunta albergue, C. Maior, 79. It is open all year from 13:00 to 23:00. Buen camino!

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back