• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

4 Sleeps!!!! Last minute jitters are setting in...

MARSKA

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Sept/Oct 2023
Last minute jitters!

I want to make sure I can easily get to the bus station to catch the bus to St. Jean and that I have some idea as to how to navigate the bus station.

I had to change my hotel to : Hotel Ciudadela Pamplona, 13 Calle Ciudadela. Google maps show that the bus station where I assume I catch the bus is at 2 Calle Yanguas y Miranda, and is a 10 minute walk from this hotel. Is this correct?

Will it be obvious as to where the Alsa bus to St. Jean is located? Good signage?

Wow, This is really happening! Thank you one and all!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Buen camino @MARSKA!!
(Please don't take this wrong, but you seem to have had camino jitters for a while. 🙃💖 The good news is that once you start walking they do abate.)

Is this correct?
No idea. But once you're there you can time it exactly, get a good rest and arrive in good time in the morning.

Will it be obvious as to where the Alsa bus to St. Jean is located? Good signage?
Ditto. Scope it out ahead of time if you need to. In a pinch you can always ask someone, but the Alsa desk xhould be obvious and that's where I'd start.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@MARSKA - the bus station is mostly underground. This is what the building looks like from the street.

1280px-Pamplona_-_Estación_de_Autobuses.jpg

More pictures at this link

And information about the station here:

I would walk over there the day before so that you are confident on the day.

The bus station is underground. It just looks like a big bus stop on top, but there are stairs and escalators to go down to the station. You should be able to find your platform as it will likely be posted at the alsa ticket desk. Follow the backpacks, there will almost certainly be others traveling with you. Deep breath and enjoy!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
MARSKA,

Remember
"Few people know how to take a walk. The qualifications are endurance, plain clothes, old shoes, an eye for nature, good humor, vast curiosity, good speech, good silence and nothing too much...."
Ralph Waldo Emerson,
"Country Life", 1858

Have a wonder-filled time, and,
in the truest sense, Ultreia!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
MARSKA,

Remember
"Few people know how to take a walk. The qualifications are endurance, plain clothes, old shoes, an eye for nature, good humor, vast curiosity, good speech, good silence and nothing too much...."
Ralph Waldo Emerson,
"Country Life", 1858

Have a wonder-filled time, and,
in the truest sense, Ultreia!
I love RW Emerson. So much truth in his words.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Last minute jitters!

I want to make sure I can easily get to the bus station to catch the bus to St. Jean and that I have some idea as to how to navigate the bus station.

I had to change my hotel to : Hotel Ciudadela Pamplona, 13 Calle Ciudadela. Google maps show that the bus station where I assume I catch the bus is at 2 Calle Yanguas y Miranda, and is a 10 minute walk from this hotel. Is this correct?

So excited for you! Enjoy the jitters! It’s all part of the journey. 😁

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
When’s you go downstairs, it will be easy to find. You can also ask at the counter and they will point you in the right direction. The buses all pull in and the bays are numbered. Many people will be sitting or standing with backpacks. If unsure, you can ask anyone if it is the right bus. The friendships will begin here. Everyone is excited to begin their journey and most are eager to talk. My suggestion if you tend to get car sick is to take a daytime Dramamine about a half hour before the bus leaves, or ginger chews. It is a winding road over the mountain. This helped me greatly on my last pass in May.

Hello Marska, I arrive in St. Jean PP on Tuesday afternoon the 19th from Bilbao (via Bayonne), taking my first step on the Camino Frances on the moring of Wednesday the 20th. I am 72, so only walking to Auberge Borda, just past Orrison, on the first day. Hope our paths cross. Buen Camino...Ken

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Last minute jitters!

I just came from Pamplona by bus yesterday to SJPP.
The street address is correct for the location of where to catch the coach bus but you need to go down the stairs or elevator to the underground bus loading area. I initially was standing on the street thinking there’s no signs at all. I figured it was a subway station underground not for buses. I had arrived early so went looking down the stairwell and sure enough it’s an underground bus station. Just look for the monitor that lists the bus to SJPP and loading bay number. Also located there is a restaurant and stores to pick up munchies if you like. Be prepared for a crazy windy road through the hills. I purposely stayed in the front row. I’ve heard people get carsick. I was fine just looking ahead. Enjoy your journey. I’m heading on camino tomorrow morning. SSJP is a beautiful quaint lil town nestled on the foothills of the Pyrenees mountains. Take the time for a walkabout if you can.
Laura

One more thing, in Spain at airports, larger bus stations, and train stations, they don't always put up the number of the gate or platform too early. So if you arrive early, you may find a group of people standing around looking at the monitor waiting for an announcement to post.

With all the worries and jitters it might help to remember that your task is easy and simple and something you do thousands of times every day. All you need to do is keep putting one foot in front of the other. Do that and eventually you will reach your destination. One of the great lessons the Camino teaches us.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Last minute jitters!

Dear Marska,
I suggest you screenshot some of these posts of yours. They are so heartfelt & genuine.
When you complete your Camino (&no doubt long before ) you can reread them and see how how far you've come. And it won't just be measured in kilometres!
If jitters is what you are feeling, that's ok. You have taken note & you are doing something positive about it by reaching out. As I'm sure almost everyone here has experienced pre-pilgrim jitters, but can confirm that before you know it, they are replaced by exhilarating anticipation each day.
Treasure all these precious moments & feelings. They are the launching pad for the life that is starting in 4 sleep' time.
We are with you. Buen Camino.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I asked some pretty silly questions before I went on my first Camino. I remember one about whether my unpedicured feet would be acceptable since all the women I know at home who wear sandals had pretty painted toenails.

I don't think I saw ANY painted toenails on that Camino unless they were adorned with betadine, tape, foam, or compeed. It was a new and completely different lifestyle for me to get up each day with an agenda of only walking, occasionally thinking about where I would eat and sleep. I think you'll love it.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back