• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Last minute footwear dilemma!

Walkergirl

Time of past OR future Camino
April-May 2016
The final countdown is on...with 6 days to go before I leave, I am having doubts about my footwear! I have been training on Salomon Comet 3D, a low rise boot. It has been cool here (below zero) and they have been good for training in Toronto. With the weather warming, my feet have been sweating and I got blisters on a recent 20 km hike, where previously I had none. I am starting to wonder about wearing trail shoes. I only have a week to break them in before starting on the trail, but if my feet will be happier in them, I'm willing to make that change.

I quite liked the New Balance 1069 trail shoe, although they are fairly heavy duty, just lower cut than my Salomons. I'd love to hear from some women (no offence men, it's just that our bodies are very different to yours, although if you have something to say please share anyway!) on what they think, given that I will be doing the Frances route starting in SJPP on April 8th and hopefully finishing on May 13.

Perhaps I'd be better off with something lighter, such as the New Balanace 910 V2's although I haven't found them to try in my size yet. I think I want something waterproof, and perhaps with gators, they will be like a boot if there is a bit of snow.

My main question is boots vs shoes, waterproof vs non waterproof. Thanks!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Shoes, waterproof, like the Salomon Ultra2GT something or other.

But have you considered taking a look at your socks? When I wear the midweaight Injinji my skin melts away in the creases, as it does when I go on scuba trips. If I use the lighter weight injinji I do just fine.

I wear hiking sandals, and wear Sealskinz socks if it is very cold. Ask the question, you will probably get as many answers are there are forum members!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If the New Balance that you like are highly breathable, then you'll probably be OK. If, when your feet sweat, you get blisters, then higher breathability will be in your best interests. Although waterproof breathable technology is "breathable," it is limited in the amount of moisture it can transport out, which means you can overwhelm it if you sweat too much. Also, if it gets wet inside or outside, it's transport abilities are effectively zero.

A quality pair of merino wool socks and a breathable set of heavier-duty trail shoes may be just what you need.

Arguably (as in, I fully expect someone to argue the point), trail shoes don't require much or any "break-in."

As to the difference between men and women, the real question is what works for your particular foot. My wife wears men's trail shoes because they work best for her.

Hi @Walkergirl, if you feel that perspiration is the problem, you might be better with a non-waterproof shoe or boot and a trail running (technical or light merino) sock.

Buen Camino!

I got my shoes at a running footwear store where the sales people were very knowledgeable. On their recommendations I selected a trail shoe with a roomy toe box as your feet expand as you walk each day. In the beginning my shoes "felt" too roomy, but I never had one blister in 39 days. Also I wore inner socks and outer socks which I changed during the day sometimes. My shoes were not waterproof. Buen camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I don't see why a Salomon boot should cause undue sweating. They're usually waterproof but still breathable. I agree with the sock issue. For me, natural fibres can just get saturated in any temperature and not dry, and cause epic friction. A breathable sock in a manmade technical fibre might be better. My boots are Keens, a midrise, waterproof and breathable, and a lot like the Salomon range in those respects. They were fantastic when I walked last year, and although the weather was unnaturally fine for May, I'm very glad they were waterproof.. Plus I had Macpac hiking socks, which wicked away the sweat and had great support. Everyone has different feety needs at the end of the day.

The other thing, as also mentioned by previous respondants above, is that your feet will GROW. Not just swelling as you walk, but actually increasing in size. I went from an 8.5 to a 9.5, and towards the end of my Camino, it meant I lost a toenail on the longest of my toes. Go up a size from where you usually are, lots of room in the toe box, to accommodate this.

Finally, the blisters you're getting should settle into good flexible callous, or at least more resilient skin, on your feet, which could be an advantage on your walk. Breaking in boots is vital, and getting your feet used to them. That said, if it happens again, there could be an exposed seam or unflexible part of the boots that will just cause grief over and over, in which case, replace them asap! I've seen people walk in their shower flipflops when boots have caused such bad blisters that enclosed shoes are just not conscionable.

And good luck!

My feet grew on the camino. Muscles and bone growth! On the Camino, I was eyeing my shoes every morning as the enemy, as instruments of torture. At Santiago, I put them in the trash and wore my son's sandals.

First of all, my feet swelled. Then I got blisters. With bandaging there was less room for my feet in my shoes, so I got different blisters. I cut out the insert to make more room, but then I got blisters on the balls of my feet. It was holy week, and I could not find a place open to buy new shoes. :( -- Since I got home, none of my shoes fit. I have finally (one year later) given them away. I now wear shoes that don't cramp my toes. -- I took the insert that came with my original hiking shoes (which I had loved before my feet swelled up), and set my foot on them. They were far too narrow, pushing my toes in at the front, and in on the outer side. (That accounts for me loosing my two big toe nails.) Men's regular shoes are a D in width, while women's are a B in width. I now wear Men's hiking shoes (and riding boots) or women's wide shoes. I went from a size 8 (39) to a size 8.5 (40 or 41).

But have you considered taking a look at your socks? When I wear the midweaight Injinji my skin melts away in the creases, as it does when I go on scuba trips. If I use the lighter weight injinji I do just fine.

Funny, I just bought 2 pair of injinji liner socks that I have started wearing. I haven't had a long hike in them yet, but I like the concept. I have been wearing a medium cushion icebreaker sock above it. I bought the lightest I could find... the performance run 2.0. I tried those Salomon shoes and they were a bit snug for me on the side of one foot in the toe area.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I wear hiking sandals, and wear Sealskinz socks if it is very cold. Ask the question, you will probably get as many answers are there are forum members!
I have been reading your posts about wearing sandals...I'm not brave enough for that on my first Camino! I know it works for you, and I will keep it in mind. Thanks!

I got my shoes at a running footwear store where the sales people were very knowledgeable. On their recommendations I selected a trail shoe with a roomy toe box as your feet expand as you walk each day. In the beginning my shoes "felt" too roomy, but I never had one blister in 39 days. Also I wore inner socks and outer socks which I changed during the day sometimes. My shoes were not waterproof. Buen camino.
Thank you for your comments.
What time of year did you walk?

My feet grew on the camino. Muscles and bone growth! On the Camino, I was eyeing my shoes every morning as the enemy, as instruments of torture. At Santiago, I put them in the trash and wore my son's sandals.

First of all, my feet swelled. Then I got blisters. With bandaging there was less room for my feet in my shoes, so I got different blisters. I cut out the insert to make more room, but then I got blisters on the balls of my feet. It was holy week, and I could not find a place open to buy new shoes. :( -- Since I got home, none of my shoes fit. I have finally (one year later) given them away. I now wear shoes that don't cramp my toes. -- I took the insert that came with my original hiking shoes (which I had loved before my feet swelled up), and set my foot on them. They were far too narrow, pushing my toes in at the front, and in on the outer side. (That accounts for me loosing my two big toe nails.) Men's regular shoes are a D in width, while women's are a B in width. I now wear Men's hiking shoes (and riding boots) or women's wide shoes. I went from a size 8 (39) to a size 8.5 (40 or 41).
Yikes!! Does everyone's feet grow permanently as a result of all this walking? That could prove to be expensive to replace all my shoes and boots post camino! I hear your message though.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If the New Balance that you like are highly breathable, then you'll probably be OK. If, when your feet sweat, you get blisters, then higher breathability will be in your best interests. Although waterproof breathable technology is "breathable," it is limited in the amount of moisture it can transport out, which means you can overwhelm it if you sweat too much. Also, if it gets wet inside or outside, it's transport abilities are effectively zero.

A quality pair of merino wool socks and a breathable set of heavier-duty trail shoes may be just what you need.

Arguably (as in, I fully expect someone to argue the point), trail shoes don't require much or any "break-in."

As to the difference between men and women, the real question is what works for your particular foot. My wife wears men's trail shoes because they work best for her.
I've heard it said that trail shoes take very little breaking in, which is why I'm considering it at this late stage.

Yikes!! Does everyone's feet grow permanently as a result of all this walking? That could prove to be expensive to replace all my shoes and boots post camino! I hear your message though.
I've done three CF's, and my feet are 1/2 size larger. Size 11D to 11-1/2D. I can only think that my feet got stronger and bigger from the long distance walking, and they do feel and look stronger.
I wouldn't sweat it though. It's probably an exception to the rule. Besides, having stronger feet is a nice side effect anyway.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
And personally, I don't like waterproof shoes. I used to have to wear them when I worked for USFWS and they always gave me blisters. If your feet get wet, NB trail shoes or trainers will dry by morning.

Thanks for asking as I have the same concern with my goretex hiking boots that I used recently in Nepal hiking the Annapurna trails. Out of 12 days on the mountains, I had sweat soaked feet on one day but enough to make me doubt using it for the Camino this coming May. After detailed reflection about what happened on that one occasion, I discovered that it was because I started with a wool socks at 2800m and descended to about 1100m that same day with the same socks. Had I changed to a lighter perhaps a coolmax sock which I had when it got warmer, the problem would be addressed. But like many people, we oversight the importance of wearing the right socks particularly with changing temperatures and assume socks are just socks.

Personally, I appreciate the stability of the boots on the ankles especially with load on the back. Due to my doubts, I've decided to bring along a trail running shoes as backup and as evening wear instead of a sandal. If for some reason the boots fail on me again on the Camino, I will mail it to collect later in Santiago and use the trail shoes full time. Maybe have a cheap flip flops not just for shower but also for evenings.

The only risk of weight is having to carry the boots into Spain for mailing. Alternatively, I could give or dump it away.

Thanks for asking as I have the same concern with my goretex hiking boots that I used recently in Nepal hiking the Annapurna trails. Out of 12 days on the mountains, I had sweat soaked feet on one day but enough to make me doubt using it for the Camino this coming May. After detailed reflection about what happened on that one occasion, I discovered that it was because I started with a wool socks at 2800m and descended to about 1100m that same day with the same socks. Had I changed to a lighter perhaps a coolmax sock which I had when it got warmer, the problem would be addressed. But like many people, we oversight the importance of wearing the right socks particularly with changing temperatures and assume socks are just socks.

Personally, I appreciate the stability of the boots on the ankles especially with load on the back. Due to my doubts, I've decided to bring along a trail running shoes as backup and as evening wear instead of a sandal. If for some reason the boots fail on me again on the Camino, I will mail it to collect later in Santiago and use the trail shoes full time. Maybe have a cheap flip flops not just for shower but also for evenings.

The only risk of weight is having to carry the boots into Spain for mailing. Alternatively, I could give or dump it away.

Sounds like a plan.
I know some people DO like boots for the ankle support.
For me, they are too clunky and stiff.
But shoes vs. boots are the most often asked question on the Camino, I think, and the one with the most opinionated answers! lol!:p

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I go back and forth between my Keen Voyageurs and the Altra Lone Peak - a nice wide trail running shoe that might be a bit minimalist for walking 12 - 18 miles a day. So my plan is to bring them both to Spain and mail my trail runners to some intermediate point. If I still like the Keens, I'll send my Altras onto Ivar in Santiago to hold for me till I get there. I am also carrying a pair of sandals in my pack.

Last edited:
If for some reason the boots fail on me again on the Camino, I will mail it to collect later in Santiago and use the trail shoes full time. Maybe have a cheap flip flops not just for shower but also for evenings.

Ivar, who runs this site, has a great service for holding mail sent ahead by pilgrims.

I walked my first Camino with very expensive Italian hiking boots. I suffered from blisters a bit until I got to the Meseta and then the blisters just about ended my Camino. I surrendered to the fact of blisters in my life (I have always been prone) and was prepared to wear the same boots on my second go-round. But then I took a closer look at them (to waterproof them with mink oil) and saw how torn up they were. Rips and what not. I had only a week before the Camino! SO I started asking around, on this forum and among people I know. One guy, who used to work for a running shoe company, looked at my feet and asked me if I was buying very narrow boots/shoes? I sad no. He said well, your feet are very narrow.
!! I am 52 years old and I had no idea. I thought they were average. Online I bought a pair of Scarpa's. I wear a 7.5, they sent an 8 so I had some room - but they were just too big - my foot was slipping around. So they sent a 7.5 and the fit was perfect. I had very little time to break them in and I never had ONE blister. Not one! I like (and need) the ankle support, so I wear boots.
I also carry some very lightweight Teva like sandals that I can wear socks with. After a cold, wet day I wanted my boots off and I want my feet warm. So the toe loop sandals I had would not do.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If your feet are sweating now in cool temps, your shoes are not right for you. If they're otherwise perfect and you think the blisters came from wet feet, see if the same model is available in non-waterproof. If not, I'd look at new shoes. Much easier to shop here than on the Camino.

I can't wear waterproof shoes for the same reason. If it's torrential rain, I'll wear my SealSkinz waterproof sox for just as long as I have to, then put my trusty Smartwool light hiking socks back on. If it's light rain, I just go for it, knowing that everything will dry during the night.

You may want to look at this thread:
Home from my Camino and my feet are changed...(along with the rest of me.)

Last edited:
....With the weather warming, my feet have been sweating and I got blisters on a recent 20 km hike, where previously I had none. I am starting to wonder about wearing trail shoes. I only have a week to break them in before starting on the trail, but if my feet will be happier in them, I'm willing to make that change.....

I would like to echo two suggestions and add another.
  1. Change your socks at least once a day. It will make a huge difference. Also get really good athletic socks....the kind that have one labeled for the left foot and the right foot.
  2. In the morning walk for about 15 minutes, stop, take off your boots and the adjust your socks and boot lacing.
  3. At the end of the day unlace or really open up your boots so the dry out. If that doesn't work, stuff them with newspaper, which will wick out the moisture.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I would like to echo two suggestions and add another.
  1. Change your socks at least once a day. It will make a huge difference. Also get really good athletic socks....the kind that have one labeled for the left foot and the right foot.
  2. In the morning walk for about 15 minutes, stop, take off your boots and the adjust your socks and boot lacing.
  3. At the end of the day unlace or really open up your boots so the dry out. If that doesn't work, stuff them with newspaper, which will wick out the moisture.

I have never seen socks that come in "Left" and "Right"

Lightfeet brand come in right and left. They are anatomically shaped to put extra protection in blister critical areas. So each needs to go on the right foot (or left foot!)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have never seen socks that come in "Left" and "Right"

If you haven't, then you probably have not done recent extreme athletic stuff in a while. There is so much great high-tech sports gear out there that can really improve performance.

Really good socks, compression tights, and compression shirts can make a world of difference. In love my Brooks running socks, CWX stabiliyX tights, and Under Armour shirt. Some studies show that you use 20% to 30% less energy to cover the same distance. They also help at the end of the day when your core muscles are exhausted. The CWX tights come with built in knee support panels. That puts a lot less strain on your body day after day after day.

I ran several marathons (26+ miles) and numerous half marathons in the double layer Wright socks, which were the first ones I found that seemed to protect me from blisters. I still love those the best, but might look into the L/R type (even though I lose a lot of socks and uni-directional socks are more forgiving if you lose a few). Icebreaker sounds interesting.

I posted this several years ago, but think it still applies here.

"The right shoe choice can make or break your camino experience but I think it's not just one shoe choice that we need to consider. I have walked with both boots and hiking shoes and prefer the latter, but it was my choice of alternate shoes that made all the difference. My 'sandals' were lightweight timberland hiking sandals. This gave me an option on easier terrain to also walk in them during the day. Flip flops or crocs don't Give you that option. Once blisters start the problem is that you wear shoes that rub in the same place. Being able to hike one day with your shoes tied to your pack can be a blessing. It's another reason I preferred shoes to boots- lighter on the pack when hiking in my sandals."

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you are getting blisters when training can I also re-post something I put up in 2012. It might help:

Re: How to train for the Camino - practice makes perfect...

Practice makes perfect.... so be careful what you practice!!
I always liked this way of looking at practice and as a coach I find I use it a lot. This year I completed my first Camino in two legs. In June I walked SJPP to Leon and in October from Leon to Santiago. There was much that I got right in my preparation and a few things I was able to correct by the time i returned in October.
I shudder when I hear of people not practicing as much as they can before they start. Day one on the Frances is tough and is not a warm up day. In my view this is the day that the practice is for. Get past day one and things will be easier, but not getting past day one is a distinct possibility. Significant numbers of the people I met with injuries that either slowed them or stopped them could trace the start of their injury to day one. So how would I recommend training?
1. Practice by time and not distance. Build up the time you walk in your pack to the point where you can walk two eight hour days in your chosen clothes with your full pack (my pack was 10kg and for me it was fine). At some level it doesn't matter where you walk, what matters is that you put in the hours. Even a day at your local shopping mall with your pack on would do it if you can build up the hours (not using the elevators of course:)). Stop for breaks and lunch as you would imagine but get the experience of a full day. Only when you walk a full day in your gear will you know where things start to hurt. Find that out before you leave for your Camino so that you can take steps. Only if you walk two days in a row will you find out what happens to a slight ache one day when it is walked on the next day. Practicing one day a week will not show you how the aches and paints and blisters multiply.
2. Shoes. I originally had boots but on my second trip I had hiking shoes. In my view boots are too much and too heavy but so many people had them. Hiking shoes were ideal. The main lesson however is on your second set of footwear. Flipflops and crocs might be great in a shower or a town stroll but they are not an alternate for hiking. I took a lightweight hiking sandal (timberland waterproof) and on days when my boots/shoes were pinching I could wear my socks and hike in my sandals. It was the single best thing I had. If your second pair of shoes cannot be worn for your main walk then the only thing you have is to walk in the shoes that hurt you yesterday. I walked with people in tears because of blisters where the only other choice was flipflops. Having both sets of footwear able to be used for walking is great. Having equipment that can gives you choices was a great lesson.
3. Clothes. Same with clothes. See what works or not as you practice. I was grateful to learn in my practice the certain underwear rubbed after a full day. Solution was to take two style of underwear and alternate the styles on days until my body was ready. Like the shoes if everything is the same style it will rub in the same places.
4. Learn to Zig Zag. Hills are tough, but its not the going up that hurts. It's the comng down. Practice coming down hills. Practice turning a down hill slop into a thousand turns like a skier. You may look silly but you will have saved your knees. You are not in a hurry so learn to come down slowly in one piece by zig zagging at acute angles. Do it even on the smallest slopes. Your knees will thank you. They are probably not trained for so much downhill work and certainly not with another 10kg on your back.
5. Poles or not. Practice, try, find out before you go. I loved my poles and think i would not have made them but find out what's right for you before you go. Poles are great for the zig zag.
6. Eating, sleeping and..... practice all these things and enjoy your practice. Practice stopping for lunch. Set up a scenario where there are no rubbish bins and work out what you need in your pack and where to be able to stop easily to eat. Same with the bathroom, imagine what you will need in your pack etc. Sleep the same. Sleep at home in your bag. Imagine there is not place for your glass of water, there is no light switch, you want to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, you want to know where to put your valuables as you sleep. Try it one night at home. Wake up and see if you can pack your bag easily. Wash you clothes by hand after a practice walk.
7. Rain. In an ideal world have a day practice in the rain. If not imagine one. Practice a start in the rain. How did you wrap up? Practice stopping in the middle of your walk and putting the wet gear on. Where is it in your bag and so on.
8. Water. Practice drinking regularly. I used a water bladder in my pack and strongly recommend it but I watched several people on day one realise that they couldn't actually reach their water bottle behind them easily. Some always needed help. Some didn't drink enough as they only drank when the stopped. Find out what works for you.
9. Other stuff. Practice it all, why not? Have fun on your practice days. Take photos (oops where do i keep my camera? Practice getting the map out - oops where will I put my map? I want my credential stamped in this church - oops it's at the bottom of my bag etc. For me it was Brierley guide in front left trouser procket. Iphone front right with handkerchief and loose change. Wallet in side pocket of trousers. I only figured that out by trying it.
I loved every minute of my Camino and there were tough days. However I walked with people who were in serious pain and had to miss days because they were injured or worse some had to stop. Some people were well prepared and some not at all (including one couple who had to buy their sleeping bag on the second day having not realised that the Albergues didn't provide them:)). Last but not least spend hours on this site. All you need is here. Try things before you start as part of your whole Camino.
And remember...Practice makes perfect....so be careful what you practice.
Buen Camino
Mark - Singapore.

Great tips Mark re practical preparation! Your post is filled with wise advice. For many unfortuanately the actual day-after-day of camino wear and tear comes as an on site shock. ...For me each camino has been a personal test and to pass any test even after all these years requires re-preparation both physically and mentally.

Last edited:
I have also had a footwar ! issue. No 1 tip carry a walking sandal or other very lightweight go to alternative. My sandals have varied but now have a Merrell pair (mens very wide, Kahunas, great vibram sole) and I put socks on (essential). If you can alternate or do half and half it is ideal. I need a mid-boot as I have ankle problems and day after day in trail shoes is not on for me. I bought yesterday a new pair of Salomon boots and start my walk in Porto on Thurs so no time for wearing in. Socks are the next most important item and I have decided to stay with Smartwool as main sock but also bring thin liners and one athletic support pair. Here in Ireland it is practically impossible to get a Non-goretex boot and on 3 Caminos there has been a lot of very wet days. Only on one I had 28 days eternal sunshine (heat-wave) and my feet swelled up , suffered, and never returned to a Size 39! Now 40(2/3)..

I go back and forth between my Keen Voyageurs and the Altra Lone Peak - a nice wide trail running shoe that might be a bit minimalist for walking 12 - 18 miles a day. So my plan is to bring them both to Spain and mail my trail runners to some intermediate point. If I still like the Keens, I'll send my Altras onto Ivar in Santiago to hold for me till I get there. I am also carrying a pair of sandals in my pack.
I have been training in the Altra Lone Peak shoes - and they are wonderful. Light weight, comfortable, and fit my feet beautifully. A friend told me that people walking the Pacific Crest Trail swear by them. I depart in 9 days - so in two weeks I will know for sure, but so far these have been great! I was considering NB as they also fit my feet well, but the Altra is a giant step above. Buen Camino.

The other thing, as also mentioned by previous respondants above, is that your feet will GROW. Not just swelling as you walk, but actually increasing in size. I went from an 8.5 to a 9.5, and towards the end of my Camino, it meant I lost a toenail on the longest of my toes. Go up a size from where you usually are, lots of room in the toe box, to accommodate this.

My feet did NOT grow either during or after my three Caminos. It depends on the person.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.