A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

The big map o the Caminos de Santiago

last minute packing advice

Has anyone found a need and/ or desire for a thermarest ( sleeping pad ) on their journey.....?

also...any must haves/ wish you would haves as far as gear/stuff advice would be greatly appreciated.....

gracias,

kenny

those sleeping pads come in handy. You can use them as pillows, you can prop them up against a wall and lean back against them, when you feel like resting in a field somewhere you can lie down on them, ....

i haven't really used mine a lot as a sleeping mat per sé, but almost daily i found some other practical use for it.

A

Anonymous

Also - although you'll never sleep on one (well, not more than once anyway) they are great on rough ground when taking a siesta - and, just found out a brilliant thing.

I bought a couple of cheap ones to cut up and glue onto boards to make display boards to fix jewellery to (no, really, works fine).

As I had quite a lot left over I couldn't bear to throw it away then decided to see what the foam is like as boot insoles. Took mine out and cut the foam to size - they are fantastic! Really comfortable, strangely non sweaty though warm. I like them so much I'm keeping them in and my anti-shock insoles can rest for a while.
I'll be hanging up the foam, marker pen, and scissors at my mobile cafe for anyone to help themselves.

Thing is - if your feet get sore there are sections of those mats you would never sleep on - so make yourself a couple of insoles!!

I know I do make a lot of jokes but this one is true!

string!
clothes pegs!
ear plugs!
Moleskin!
Bandaids!
Polysporin!

All those items made things so much easier for me, until they ran out because I was forever giving them away to people who forgot them

jeff001

Polysporin is a broad spectrum antibiotic ointment that is available over the counter in the US. Good for preventing/treating minor skin infections such as those you might pick up walking through mud with an open blister.

A

Anonymous

Excellent! We have Germoline, which is a soothing mild painkiller and antiseptic ointment - sort of part of being English. Except the villains are now putting it into plastic tubes - I ask you!

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 11 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 114 14.5%
  • May

Votes: 191 24.3%