• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
  • 20% off everything Altus the next few days at the Camino Forum Store. More here. (Discount taken at check out)
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Late arrival in St Jean PDP accommodation options

Stewart Dawson

Time of past OR future Camino
June 1st to July (2016)
St Jean Santiago Finisterre
Arriving by train at 1915hrs and considering accommodation options.
First preference is albergues however I may be too late in the evening.
Any suggestions, cost is main concern.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Arriving by train at 1915hrs and considering accommodation options.
First preference is albergues however I may be too late in the evening.
Any suggestions, cost is main concern.

@Stewart Dawson:
When you arrive in St Jean Pied de Port, go the the Pilgrim's Office at 39, Rue de la Citadelle, open until 10 pm. They can sell you a credencial and find you an available bed. The municipal hostel is cheapest, includes breakfast, and has a kitchen where you can prepare food. The most recent price which I have found is 8 euros including breakfast. It is on the same street as the Pilgrim's Office, #55, but only takes bookings through the Pilgrim's Office. You cannot reserve a bed there in advance. If they are full, you will need to get something elsewhere and the other hostels might be full too. You can book some of the private hostels and be sure of having a bed, but they are more expensive, see:
http://www.gronze.com/francia/aquitania/pirineos-atlanticos/saint-jean-pied-port . The entries in brown, listed as "albergue", are hostels; entries in black are other accommodation.
Good luck and buen camino.

Here is another line to add to Albertagirl's helpful post above re booking a SJPdP bunk.

The Pilgrim Office at 55 rue de La Citadelle can help find you on-site a bunk or bed when you arrive in SJPdP. They keep an up to the minute list of all accommodation in the area both pilgrim albergues and tourist hotels. Just ask for their help when you arrive.

Buen camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@Stewart Dawson:
When you arrive in St Jean Pied de Port, go the the Pilgrim's Office at 39, Rue de la Citadelle, open until 10 pm. They can sell you a credencial and find you an available bed. The municipal hostel is cheapest, includes breakfast, and has a kitchen where you can prepare food. The most recent price which I have found is 8 euros including breakfast. It is on the same street as the Pilgrim's Office, #55, but only takes bookings through the Pilgrim's Office. You cannot reserve a bed there in advance. If they are full, you will need to get something elsewhere and the other hostels might be full too. You can book some of the private hostels and be sure of having a bed, but they are more expensive, see:
http://www.gronze.com/francia/aquitania/pirineos-atlanticos/saint-jean-pied-port . The entries in brown, listed as "albergue", are hostels; entries in black are other accommodation.
Good luck and buen camino.
Thankyou
Good Info

Here is another line to add to Albertagirl's helpful post above re booking a SJPdP bunk.

The Pilgrim Office at 55 rue de La Citadelle can help find you on-site a bunk or bed when you arrive in SJPdP. They keep an up to the minute list of all accommodation in the area both pilgrim albergues and tourist hotels. Just ask for their help when you arrive.

Buen camino!
Much appreciated
Thankyou

Last year I also arrived around that time and there were still a lot of places! Also a friend I later met on the camino arrived really late and there were no more beds available but they brought her with a car to the next albergue like 5 km further on the camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The Pilgrim's Office (Accueil Saint Jacques) is at 39, Rue de la Citadelle.
The Municipal Albergue is at 55, Rue de la Citadelle.
There is no longer an association between the two.
You should go to the Pilgrim's Office for the credencial and for lots of useful info, but no more need to go there to get a place at the municipal.

The Pilgrim's Office (Accueil Saint Jacques) is at 39, Rue de la Citadelle.
The Municipal Albergue is at 55, Rue de la Citadelle.
There is no longer an association between the two.
You should go to the Pilgrim's Office for the credencial and for lots of useful info, but no more need to go there to get a place at the municipal.

@JLuis:
Could you enlarge on this a bit, please, for the newcomers? Does the Pilgrim's Office still assist pilgrims with accommodation in St Jean, or has it ceased to do so entirely? Is there some other service that will tell pilgrims what accommodation is available in St Jean and if so, where and what is it and what are its hours? Thank you.

Sorry for the bad explanation.The Pilgrim Office will find you a place to sleep, no matter what.
They only ceased to be place to go to pay and reserve the bed at the Municipal. You go directly to the #55 to do it.
The Pilgrim's Office is the place to go for that and all other things Camino related. And I really mean everything.
BTW, that's me in the photo stamping credenciales there :)
Anyway, it doesn't hurt if you book a bed in advance at SJPP and in Orisson too (that's mandatory if you want to sleep there the first night).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sorry for the bad explanation.The Pilgrim Office will find you a place to sleep, no matter what.
They only ceased to be place to go to pay and reserve the bed at the Municipal. You go directly to the #55 to do it.
The Pilgrim's Office is the place to go for that and all other things Camino related. And I really mean everything.
BTW, that's me in the photo stamping credenciales there :)
Anyway, it doesn't hurt if you book a bed in advance at SJPP and in Orisson too (that's mandatory if you want to sleep there the first night).
Thank you.

Most read last week in this forum

A local Navarra website has reported the death of a 61 year old German peregrina this morning in Zuriain. The cause appears to have been cardiac arrest. The third death of a pilgrim in Navarra in...
We’re currently on the Frances. We’re walking from SJPDP. We’re looking at our projected dates for Sarria to Santiago. When we try to find lodging it all looks sold out on booking.com. What...
A few km before Portomaran, a huge swarm of wasps swooped down on a pilgrim. Thankfully, he wasn’t stung. He said it looked like a flock of sparrows that swooped down and he thought they were...
Here is a pic from 2016, I love the simplicity of the sketch map and directions "1 km climb up, 5km flat, 5km down". I wonder how the prices are now?
Reposted from Wise Pilgrim comments, was hiking with this pilgrim. Don’t follow app,go just a bit further past to well marked turn, not the one with spray painted arrow on stop sign:
For my fellow Jewish Pilgrims do try to remember that this coming Tuesday evening is our Shavuot holiday, not one but two days. Shavuot is one of the required Jewish pilgrimages, totally...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back