• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Late June 2022 start

Stellaluna

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances -2016
Portuguese -2019
Le Puy - July 2022
Hello!
I leave in July for my 3rd camino and haven't yet decided which route I will take - any opinions would be welcome. I'm torn between Lisbon-Santiago, Le Puy to SJPDP, or a return to the Frances. Weigh in with your suggestions.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Having done all three and going in Summer the weather will probably be similar in terms of heat. They are all so different.
You know about the CF.
The CP from Lisbon to Porto is not really nice but has some lovely sections and some wonderful cities like Tomar and Coimbra. I have not done the variant to Fatima but will do it the next time I walk the CP. I will also do the coast and the Spiritual Variant which I didn't do when I walked the interior route. Porto is a fantastic city. It gets more crowded after Porto but nothing like the CF. My favorite town on any camino is Ponte de Lima. Lastly the warmest most friendliest and most generous people I have ever met are the people of Portugal.
The Camino from Le Puy is absolutely beautiful. More beautiful, without a doubt the the CF or CP. It is also much more difficult, especially the first couple of weeks. I am sure you will have to book in advance every day as the Gites are smaller usually but more importantly they serve dinner and often breakfast and the owners of the GItes need to know how much to prepare. If you want to just show up you will not make Gite owners happy at all!! The food in France well forget about it. It makes the food in Spain seem like you are eating at Burger King. I like the food in Spain but wowwwwww France!!!
When I walked and I doubt it has changed much, I do not think I met 5 people who spoke even passable English. Almost everyone was French with a few Germans. I walked it in 2015 and virtually everyone was a retiree walking with a small group of friends. There are no Camino Families like on the CF. It is far, far quieter. I walked in September and on most days I never saw another pilgrim except in the Gites. Most of the French people while they have credentials are walking sections of the Camino. They are nice but there is the language barrier and they tend to stick with their friends.
It is also kind of a crapshoot for when cafes and shops may be open in the villages so always have some food. I believe there were 3 days I walked the whole day with eating just an apple or banana or a candy bar as every time I got to a village the shop or cafe was closed. I speak no French at all, never really saw anyone walking around to ask so I was one hungry pilgrim at night.
Le Puy is a completely different type of Camino. Even though I spoke no French, I loved it and would do it again.
It is also the most expensive Camino of the three. But the food wow and the scenery wow wow.

Having done all three and going in Summer the weather will probably be similar in terms of heat. They are all so different.
You know about the CF.
The CP from Lisbon to Porto is not really nice but has some lovely sections and some wonderful cities like Tomar and Coimbra. I have not done the variant to Fatima but will do it the next time I walk the CP. I will also do the coast and the Spiritual Variant which I didn't do when I walked the interior route. Porto is a fantastic city. It gets more crowded after Porto but nothing like the CF. My favorite town on any camino is Ponte de Lima. Lastly the warmest most friendliest and most generous people I have ever met are the people of Portugal.
The Camino from Le Puy is absolutely beautiful. More beautiful, without a doubt the the CF or CP. It is also much more difficult, especially the first couple of weeks. I am sure you will have to book in advance every day as the Gites are smaller usually but more importantly they serve dinner and often breakfast and the owners of the GItes need to know how much to prepare. If you want to just show up you will not make Gite owners happy at all!! The food in France well forget about it. It makes the food in Spain seem like you are eating at Burger King. I like the food in Spain but wowwwwww France!!!
When I walked and I doubt it has changed much, I do not think I met 5 people who spoke even passable English. Almost everyone was French with a few Germans. I walked it in 2015 and virtually everyone was a retiree walking with a small group of friends. There are no Camino Families like on the CF. It is far, far quieter. I walked in September and on most days I never saw another pilgrim except in the Gites. Most of the French people while they have credentials are walking sections of the Camino. They are nice but there is the language barrier and they tend to stick with their friends.
It is also kind of a crapshoot for when cafes and shops may be open in the villages so always have some food. I believe there were 3 days I walked the whole day with eating just an apple or banana or a candy bar as every time I got to a village the shop or cafe was closed. I speak no French at all, never really saw anyone walking around to ask so I was one hungry pilgrim at night.
Le Puy is a completely different type of Camino. Even though I spoke no French, I loved it and would do it again.
It is also the most expensive Camino of the three. But the food wow and the scenery wow wow.
Thanks for your reply. In Portugal I walked the interior to Santiago and then, because I liked Portugal so much, turned around a did a "reverse Camino" along the coastal. I've read that the Lisbon to Porto section isn't as lovely. I am definitely leaning towards Le Puy. I am a retired French teacher so am excited to be immersed in the language. If I find it too difficult I guess that I could always switch to the CF.
Thanks again.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks for your reply. In Portugal I walked the interior to Santiago and then, because I liked Portugal so much, turned around a did a "reverse Camino" along the coastal. I've read that the Lisbon to Porto section isn't as lovely. I am definitely leaning towards Le Puy. I am a retired French teacher so am excited to be immersed in the language. If I find it too difficult I guess that I could always switch to the CF.
Thanks again.
With your French fluency I am sure you will have a rich social experience at night. There was lively conversation around the dinner table by all but me haha. The food more than made up for it.
I was 61 when I walked Le Puy. If you take your time, rest when you need to. Listen to your body and don’t keep pushing. Less is definitely more I know you will be fine. The scenery and sounds and smells will always be your reward as you walk. I would highly recommend getting the two guides in French:
I believe there is also an app but I am not sure. I didn’t have it and I wished I would have.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.