• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Late October camino - travel logistics

frank john

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2016
October-November 2024
I’m finally planning a Camino beginning in late October thru early December on the Frances route. I’ve walked the tour a couple of times but it’s been seven years since my last Camino. On both caminos I walked from SJDP to Santiago. I need advice on getting flights: one way from Chicago to Paris or to Barcelona? Return: from Madrid? I’m finding the return flight is extremely expensive, probably due the month being December.
Also, I’ve only done the Napoleon route. I assume orrison is closed due to late October. Would it be advise to use the valcarlos route?
Finally, I’m figuring on fewer pilgrims. Will it be difficult to find hotels/ private rooms? I’ll need to plan on layering due to difficult weather conditions.
Sorry for long thread but I would welcome advice. The last two caminos i fled into Barcelona and returned from Madrid. But it was very much cheaper. Thanks so much. Frank

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Check out the multi-city option for flights - usually about the same as a round trip, and cheaper than two one way tickets. I really like flying home from Porto, it's an easy ~4 hour bus ride.

The Napoleon route is open in October, as is Orisson unless the weather is bad. It closes on November 1st.

Thank you for advice. What is a “multi city option?” Nit familiar with this.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Just butting in. When searching flights it gives you one way, return or multi city option. Cheaper option - means you can put in Chicago to Paris return Madrid to Chicago for example. Good luck

Thank you for advice. What is a “multi city option?” Nit familiar with this.
I generally start my search on Google Flights. There is a drop down menu where you can choose Round trip, One way, or Multi-city. The airline websites also have these options, but sometimes you need to go to "advanced search" to find it.

click to enlarge

Screenshot 2023-04-24 192152.png

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This is great. I’m going to get in this right away to get the best deal. Thanks so much.

FYI, Skyscanner is another way to research the multi flight option online.
But please do not use one of the third party companies who advertise on Skyscanner - book directly with the airline. It saves you headaches if there are schedule changes or problems if you deal directly with the airline.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
But please do not use one of the third party companies who advertise on Skyscanner - book directly with the airline. It saves you headaches if there are schedule changes or problems if you deal directly with the airline.
Absolutely! Should have included that caveat. I never deal with 3rd parties anymore.

I walked from SJPP to Pamplona is early November last year. Wonderful weather! Not many pilgrims, which was great because in the lodgings in the evenings, everyone was very sociable.
Albergues etc are open, just nothing like as many. And few places to stop for a coffee.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you wait until later in the year and closer to your departure date I have found that I have gotten pretty cheap flights from Santiago to Madrid but it is getting more and more expensive for sure.

Howdy Frank,
My first and only Camino was last year in October/November via SJPP and although I have nothing to compare it to I had zero issues with coffee, stores, food, accommodations, meeting others. It was as fantastic an experience as I could have ever dreamed. I played with "the Camino provides" vs "I'd better help myself with the provisions" and the balance worked well for me as well as my fantastic shoes. The weather was cool and that sure helped with the pep-in-my-step - that and my extraordinary light pack; it rained maybe seven days total with only one gulley washer and you know what? I was so happy I didn't have all that cumbersome rain gear - I just welcomed the wetness. Best of luck with the cheap flight. If I ever do it again October and November are the time.
Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Howdy Frank,
My first and only Camino was last year in October/November via SJPP and although I have nothing to compare it to I had zero issues with coffee, stores, food, accommodations, meeting others. It was as fantastic an experience as I could have ever dreamed. I played with "the Camino provides" vs "I'd better help myself with the provisions" and the balance worked well for me as well as my fantastic shoes. The weather was cool and that sure helped with the pep-in-my-step - that and my extraordinary light pack; it rained maybe seven days total with only one gulley washer and you know what? I was so happy I didn't have all that cumbersome rain gear - I just welcomed the wetness. Best of luck with the cheap flight. If I ever do it again October and November are the time.
Buen Camino
Hi zoro!! Thank you so much for reaching out. Your message has made such a difference. No other time will work out for me so I’m taking the chance. I just needed a bit of encouragement and you came through. Once again, thank you!! Frank

I’m finally planning a Camino beginning in late October thru early December on the Frances route. I’ve walked the tour a couple of times but it’s been seven years since my last Camino. On both caminos I walked from SJDP to Santiago. I need advice on getting flights: one way from Chicago to Paris or to Barcelona? Return: from Madrid? I’m finding the return flight is extremely expensive, probably due the month being December.
Also, I’ve only done the Napoleon route. I assume orrison is closed due to late October. Would it be advise to use the valcarlos route?
Finally, I’m figuring on fewer pilgrims. Will it be difficult to find hotels/ private rooms? I’ll need to plan on layering due to difficult weather conditions.
Sorry for long thread but I would welcome advice. The last two caminos i fled into Barcelona and returned from Madrid. But it was very much cheaper. Thanks so much. Frank
It’s a great time of year to walk. Accommodation options are reduced - but sufficient.

Totally agree with zoro. I only managed 3 days due to knee problems but it was a fantastic experience, despite the absence of frequent coffee stops. I'm restarting in a month's time and I know it will be totally different again. But I am seriously considering another winter Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The multi city option is great. I did a LOT of searching but finally found Omaha to Charlotte to Madrid and return Porto to NYC, booked as basically RT.

I looked at many,many options. TAP Portugal and Iberia (American) are two airlines that have the Portugal/Spain market.

I'm sure TAP and Iberia are fine airlines but you cannot choose your seat until after you purchase tickets, and on transatlantic flights I am not OK with that situation, so I was careful to choose flights run by American Airlines rather than their partner Iberia. In the end TAP schedules didn't work out for me but they have a similar set up.

Yes, flights are expensive this year!!!! But I did see a few more affordable routes,/flights so they are out there IF you are lucky enough to find them.

I feel your pain- finding affordable flights with decent schedules was the biggest challenge in planning my October Camino that I've had so far .

I did see good flights from ORD to Barcelona for my date ranges but for me, from Omaha, there was about an 8 hr layover at ORD which I wasn't too keen on.

Good luck my friend and
Buen Camino!

Oh- Paris, Madrid and Barcelona have good options for transportation to SJPDP. From Madrid I plan to take the train to Pamplona then bus to St Jean. There are also flights MAD to Pamplona.
Of course trains from Paris are available as well as from Barcelona.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back