• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Le Puy-en-Velay to Conques - Pants in July ? Really mandatory ?

plabrecque

Time of past OR future Camino
None
Hello again ! :)

My gear list is near the end... I'm proud to say that my base weight (with tent, sleeping bag/pad, because I want to do it that way: camping) is at 5226 grams and that it could be at 5056 grams if I decide to change my sandals... This base weight is relative, yes, but anyway I'm proud of myself. Even if I'm cheating a bit with my "bum bag" ;) For some gears, I am satisfied, but for some others... not still sure. On me, I will have a short. And in my backpack, a convertible pants, "just in case it's cold". I'm really not sure that this is usefull to have this pants... I mean: I will walk from Le Puy to Conques, between July 3 to July 11. It will be hot... so why a pants ? I have see statistics about the past meteo for this section of the Camino and it doesn't seems so cold during the summer (including night - I have see also for the Aubrac)... So instead of a short + a convertible pants, does it seems reasonable for you to take only 2 shorts, or better, just one ?

Thanks again and again for your time !

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
5226 grams is about the weight of my wife's handbag. You can certainly afford the extra burden of a pair of trousers, the wearing of which will make you considerably more welcome in places of worship and without which, frankly, a chap isn't properly dressed.

Since it increases your options, a pair of convertible trousers is better than a second pair of shorts. Perhaps you'll never wear the lower half of those convertible trousers ... but perhaps there will be a day with rain and wind when you'll be pleased that you brought them.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I hike in shorts - in sunshine, or rain: even occasionally in snow as a stripling. Consult Meteo more for evening and night time temperatures. Sitting around in shorts on a draughty Terrace is an entirely different experience to hiking vigorously in the heat of day.

And as @Glenshiro (nearly) says: a gentleman without trousers is not a gentleman ;)

Well... Maybe a question of culture, but here, when it's hot, at church or on a terrace, that's a go for the shorts😀 ! And to my knowledge, God and the barman don't seems offensed of it. Lol. Thanks to all for your input.

You could take some wind pants just in case. Body Wrappers dance pants weigh about 85 grams and cost next to nothing. Certainly lighter than convertible pants. You could also take a polycryo groundsheet for your tent and use it as a rain skirt in case of heavy rain. That way you wouldn't have to bring rain pants and would still be good even if it rained for a longer period at lower temps.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
but here, when it's hot, at church or on a terrace, that's a go for the shorts
But you are in France, and the French have different standards. About everything. You will want trousers for your airline flights, trains, churches, and restaurants.

But you are in France, and the French have different standards.
These include:
1) Do not wear a baseball cap.

2) Always address people as Monsieur, Madame or Mademoiselle.

3) Begin EVERY conversation (even if you're telling someone their house is on fire) with "Bonjour/bonsoir" as appropriate. And end by wishing everyone "au revoir, bonne journee/nuit." Don't just go in to a shop or bar and bark out your order.

4) Don't speak loudly in restaurants. In fact, don't speak loudly.

5) Let another person pass through a door first, and a man always gives way to a woman.

6) Do not make disparaging remarks about French military prowess, or they will drag you to the village war memorial and bang your head against it until you realise the extent of their losses in WW1. (OK, I made the last bit up, but you get the point. If you don't, just take a look at any war memorial. Every village, however small, has one.)

There are others, but, basically, err on the side of politeness. Oh, and master at least some basic French.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi fellow pilgrims. We will be walking the Via Podiensis from Le Puy-en-Velay in Sep/Oct this year and are in the process of planning our route and stages. We see there are three route variants...
Hi all, I just bought my ticket for my next Camino this summer (yay!). I wanted to walk in France—I loved the Norte and primitivo last year, and I thought it would be cool to explore another...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back