• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaking boots.

susiem

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2023
Hello, my Merrill hiking boots - bought in January - have started leaking. I know no boot is completely waterproof but I haven't encountered damp feet to this extent with previous boots. I start Camino in 6 weeks and, apart from buyiyng new boots - more expense - I wonder if there's anything I can do to minimise this.
Thank you for all the advice and support; it's been invaluable in helping me prepare.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi susiem. Are you walking in very damp areas and a lot of water is entering the boot? Any chance that the dampness is because your feet are actually sweating a lot as the shoes do not breath much?

(Just asking to understand better and maybe someone will have a solution. I can't walk in Merrels or Salomons because my feet get blisters from the damp caused by trapped heat)

Hi susiem. Are you walking in very damp areas and a lot of water is entering the boot? Any chance that the dampness is because your feet are actually sweating a lot as the shoes do not breath much?

(Just asking to understand better and maybe someone will have a solution. I can't walk in Merrels or Salomons because my feet get blisters from the damp caused by trapped heat)
Hi Anamya, no, just the usual Scottish weather! And the boot sole is definately damp when I remove the insole to dry them out. I've always worn Merrells and this is the first time I've experienced this. Thanks for replying!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If your boots are letting water in then they will probably let it out again. In my opinion, this would be a good feature, but then I walked my last Camino in sandals.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Anamya, no, just the usual Scottish weather! And the boot sole is definately damp when I remove the insole to dry them out. I've always worn Merrells and this is the first time I've experienced this. Thanks for replying!
It may be a fault in that particular pair of boots as opposed to the actual brand. When I walked in 2025 my new Salamons let me down in poring rain but the good people st Cotswold Outdoor replaced them without charge. No problems since & I also live in Scotland. Worth asking for a replacement as boots should keep you dry, they are not a cheap purchase.

It may be a fault in that particular pair of boots as opposed to the actual brand. When I walked in 2025 my new Salamons let me down in poring rain but the good people st Cotswold Outdoor replaced them without charge. No problems since & I also live in Scotland. Worth asking for a replacement as boots should keep you dry, they are not a cheap purchase.
Drat! When I walked in 2015 (not time travelling to 2025) stubby fingers & small screen to blame.

Drat! When I walked in 2015 (not time travelling to 2025) stubby fingers & small screen to blame.
Thanks all, I'll contact the store and will find some solution. Appreciate your responses!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I had some Keen boots that were not waterproof because the waterproof liner had been stitched though! Keen gave me a voucher for their value and didn't want the boots back. I think they'd changed their suppliers.

Welcome to the sandalista club. What brand and style did you wear?
The cheapest Decathlon sandals, I think that they were €7, or very close. Worked great. Occasionally got a small stone in them but surprisingly not very often at all. On average once a day but I often had days without problems and then for some reason a spate of stones.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.