• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leave your walking poles at home....

F

Former member 100027

I've hopefully discovered a successful alternative solution to the poles-on-a-plane travel conundrum!

I am leaving my walking poles at home as I refuse to pay Ryanair's extortionate hold luggage fees to check them in for each journey. I also have a relatively short window of time from landing to catching a bus to Valenca and don't want to get delayed waiting at the luggage carousel. I can't post them to the albergue (like I did in 2019 when the UK had not yet left the EU) as they will get stuck in Spanish customs.

I've been looking at alternative ways to source poles in Spain on the day of arrival. Unfortunately there is no Decathlon in Tui and the albergue has told me its very unlikely any shops will still be open by the time I arrive early Saturday evening. I need walking poles and can't walk 120km without them.

I then had a sudden brainwave - Decathlon deliver! So I logged into the Decathlon.es and managed to order a pair, and ship them to the albergue's address in Tui (who are happy to receive the parcel and hold it until I arrive), with the assistance of Google Translate. The website takes Paypal so even easier to go through checkout. The cost came to £21 in total which included a shipping fee. I've had an order confirmation from Decathlon.es, and shipping notification and so far, so good!

UPDATE 15/02: I've had a message from the Albergue to confirm the poles arrived today and they'll keep them for me until I arrive.

So, it works!

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I've hopefully discovered a successful alternative solution to the poles-on-a-plane travel conundrum!

I am leaving my walking poles at home as I refuse to pay Ryanair's extortionate hold luggage fees to check them in for each journey. I have a relatively short window of time from landing to catching a bus to Valenca and don't want to get delayed waiting at the luggage carousel. I can't post them to the albergue (like I did in 2019 when the UK had not yet left the EU) as they will get stuck in Spanish customs.

I've been looking at alternative ways to source poles in Spain on the day of arrival. Unfortunately there is no Decathlon in Tui and the albergue has told me its very unlikely any shops will still be open by the time I arrive early Saturday evening. I need walking poles and can't walk 120km without them.

I then had a sudden brainwave - Decathlon deliver! So I logged into the Decathlon.es and managed to order a pair, and ship them to the albergue's address in Tui (who are happy to receive the parcel and hold it until I arrive), with the assistance of Google Translate. The website takes Paypal so even easier to go through checkout. The cost came to £21 in total which included a shipping fee. I've had an order confirmation from Decathlon.es and so far, so good!

I shall update as and when the poles are delivered to the Albergue!
Nice! Thanks for the the poles tips 🙂

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

I am leaving my walking poles at home as I refuse to pay Ryanair's extortionate hold luggage fees to check them in for each journey. I have a relatively short window of time from landing to catching a bus to Valenca and don't want to get delayed waiting at the luggage carousel. I can't post them to the albergue (like I did in 2019 when the UK had not yet left the EU) as they will get stuck in Spanish customs.

I then had a sudden brainwave - Decathlon deliver! So I logged into the Decathlon.es and managed to order a pair, and ship them to the albergue's address in Tui (who are happy to receive the parcel and hold it until I arrive), with the assistance of Google Translate. The website takes Paypal so even easier to go through checkout. The cost came to £21 in total which included a shipping fee. I've had an order confirmation from Decathlon.es and so far, so good!

Bravo!

Like you, I am flying with Ryanair to France but I have 4 days before I get to SJPDP so have no problem to buy poles at Decathlon before I get to the start. Also buying away from SJPDP, it might be a little cheaper - last chance and all that 😉

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Great idea.
I have since 2007 spent many multiples of the price of my poles putting them into the hold. then a few years ago i put them in a clear plastic pack labeled 'Walking sticks, needed for balance on uneven ground'. and put them in my rucksack and Dublin airport authority let them through. It is the airport, not the carrier who decides what goes through. i knew that Santiago never ever lets poles through so I posted them home.
However since then, pricing methods have changed and it is cheaper to put a 10 kilo rucksack into the hold than have it in the cabin.
Buen Camino Babaa

Brilliant idea, I thought we could fold the poles into three and they would accept on Ryanair, I guess I’m mistaken?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
i knew that Santiago never ever lets poles through so I posted them home.
They don't allow poles in the cabin, but all of the airlines will allow you to check them into the hold for free at the Santiago Airport. You just have to have them packaged up some way.

I did this in '17 and it worked brilliantly. And then I got to bring home my lovely pacer poles without having to pay international shipping!. woot woot!
Thanks for reporting that.
While I know of this "rule" in Santiago I don't know that I've read of people taking advantage of it. Can you tell us what the process was to check your poles for free in Santiago?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks for reporting that.
While I know of this "rule" in Santiago I don't know that I've read of people taking advantage of it. Can you tell us what the process was to check your poles for free in Santiago?

I packed up my pack and my poles into one of those blue zipper IKEA bags, and checked my bag. No one blinked. I flew from SDC to London, and then from London, to the US a few weeks later. It was '17, England was still EU, so the poles were sent from the UK to Spain for free.

That is really neat. Well done and looking forward to hearing a successful conclusion when you pick up your package in Tui

Up there for lateral thinking! 👏
So, you'll just ditch the poles at the end?
👣 🌏

Well, I shall leave them with a note “free to a pilgrim” outside the arrivals area at SdC airport. That’s how my husband acquired his walking stick for our previous Camino in 2019!
We both have some good Fizan poles at home so an additional pair are surplus to requirements. Incidentally we are taking our poles when we fly out to Biarritz to start in SJPDP in September but I have already paid for hold luggage so both pairs can go in together with some clothes which will be transported on to SdC for collection when we arrive there. To that end the hold luggage fee is acceptable.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have the same poles transpo dilemma -

Questions -

If the poles don't have points or sharp tips but instead have rubber tips and/or the big rubber feet does that make a difference? (to the TSA in my case)
If the poles are folded up (like black diamond 3 piece poles) and strapped together and then put in a pole gear bag does that matter?
Can you buy poles on Amazon from another country and have your first hotel/hostel/albergue as the delivery address?
Can you pack up your poles in a box and put them on the plane as 'checked baggage' or do the airlines charge you extra for this?

They don't allow poles in the cabin, but all of the airlines will allow you to check them into the hold for free at the Santiago Airport. You just have to have them packaged up some way.
I have reported this several times over the years. In 2016 and in 2018, I walked onto the plane in SdC with two walking poles and they were stowed in the overhead compartment along with my pack all the way home to Canada, both times. No checked items.

Times may have changed since then but it was accepted then. Look up my other post on this thread to discover how I will continue to take my poles with me on the plane. It is Post #16.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
That is really neat. Well done and looking forward to hearing a successful conclusion when you pick up your package in Tui
Thank you! I’ve already had a shipping notification from Decathlon!

I have reported this several times over the years. In 2016 and in 2018, I walked onto the plane in SdC with two walking poles and they were stowed in the overhead compartment along with my pack all the way home to Canada, both times. No checked items.

Times may have changed since then but it was accepted then. Look up my other post on this thread to discover how I will continue to take my poles with me on the plane. It is Post #16.
I believe that they were not walking poles but poles used as or claimed to be necessary walking aids in these cases, right?

I've never been able to carry my poles with me on the plane. Never. Tried three times. Three different airlines. Twice the airfare was budget and didn't include check in luggage. That's extra $$$. Poles cost only about twenty euros. Said poles were then abandoned lol.
You can buy trekking poles in Saint Jean, Zubiri, Pamplona, Puente la Reina, Logrono, Burgos, Sarria.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If the poles don't have points or sharp tips but instead have rubber tips and/or the big rubber feet does that make a difference? (to the TSA in my case)
We don't really know what your TSA agent will decide.

If the poles are folded up (like black diamond 3 piece poles) and strapped together and then put in a pole gear bag does that matter?
Many people (including me) have carried their folded carbon fibre poles on board, in full sight and even pointing them out. But there is no guarantee and we cannot be sure what the policy is, at a particular airport at a particular time. So if you decide to try this, it would be wise to come prepared with plenty of time and some packing materials so that if rejected, you can return to check them in and go through security again.

Can you buy poles on Amazon from another country and have your first hotel/hostel/albergue as the delivery address?
I don't have experience on this.

Can you pack up your poles in a box and put them on the plane as 'checked baggage' or do the airlines charge you extra for this?
Yes. This is what many of us (including me) usually do - send a small checked bag/package with our poles, sharps, etc., but carry our precious backpacks into the cabin with us. Sometimes I add some easily replaceable items so that my on-board bag is less bulky for the flight.

The airline will likely charge you according to how many bags you are allowed with your ticket, but it is possible that they could have an exception for walking poles alone. Flying from Santiago, all airlines apparently check poles for free.

I understand that in most cases where people need sticks as a genuine mobility aid, they would be allowed. However, I would consider it to be a stretch to suggest that you need the sticks to get on the plane, when you have a backpack ready for a long walking trip across Spain.

Great idea.
I have since 2007 spent many multiples of the price of my poles putting them into the hold. then a few years ago i put them in a clear plastic pack labeled 'Walking sticks, needed for balance on uneven ground'. and put them in my rucksack and Dublin airport authority let them through. It is the airport, not the carrier who decides what goes through. i knew that Santiago never ever lets poles through so I posted them home.
However since then, pricing methods have changed and it is cheaper to put a 10 kilo rucksack into the hold than have it in the cabin.
Buen Camino Babaa
Santiago has a policy of letting poles fly free in hold on homeward journeys!

I am leaving my walking poles at home as I refuse to pay Ryanair's extortionate hold luggage fees to check them in for each journey. I also have a relatively short window of time from landing to catching a bus to Valenca and don't want to get delayed waiting at the luggage carousel. I can't post them to the albergue (like I did in 2019 when the UK had not yet left the EU) as they will get stuck in Spanish customs.

UPDATE: I've had the shipping notification from Decathlon.es today (11/02) so it all seems to be going to plan!
I have not had a problem with walking poles on any of my Caminos, not even with Ryan Air. I just stick them in my pack and check it in.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I just love this hoary old poles on planes thread - it makes me feel that the Camino is resurfacing!

I've twice taken my poles folded up in my carry-on, on a plane flying out of SDC. Tungsten tip removed, and they are carbon fibre. I went through the normal security.

I have the same poles transpo dilemma -

Questions -

I drove out to MSP and asked TSA directly about my poles with rubber ball ends. They said they would allow in the cabin... but when I change planes in Atlanta, or Madrid, they may well be confiscated! Each TSA has some flexibility.

€83,-
Depending where you are located, it might be cheaper to just mail the poles from your country to spain. For example, a 60x30x15cm parcel from Germany to Spain is 14€. You can either ask your first stop (hotel etc) to hold it for you or mail it directly to the post office using "poste restante" (google it).
For me it's less a thing of the price for checked luggage but the risk of something getting damaged or going missing on its way to spain...

Depending where you are located, it might be cheaper to just mail the poles from your country to spain. For example, a 60x30x15cm parcel from Germany to Spain is 14€. You can either ask your first stop (hotel etc) to hold it for you or mail it directly to the post office using "poste restante" (google it).
For me it's less a thing of the price for checked luggage but the risk of something getting damaged or going missing on its way to spain...
As mentioned in my original post, posting isn’t an option since the U.K. left the EU. The poles will just get stuck, and then languish in Spanish customs. I posted them from the UK to the albergue back in 2019, which was trouble free but we were still in the EU back then.

As mentioned in my original post, posting isn’t an option since the U.K. left the EU. The poles will just get stuck, and then languish in Spanish customs. I posted them from the UK to the albergue back in 2019, which was trouble free but we were still in the EU back then.
Sorry, seems i have missed that...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am flying with Ryanair to BIQ via STN from Gothenburg and poles are allowed from GOT to STN in the hand luggage. But when I read the luggage restricions in STN they say that you need to check in the poles, is that right someone? I guess I will arrive in the security area in STN and maybe I don't need to pass security check again??

Pooh…..advice a tad to late….order Black Diamond carbon ones from Decathlon and pass hand luggage security check with ease….my mo for years now…

UPDATE: I've had the shipping notification from Decathlon.es today (11/02) so it all seems to be going to plan!

Pooh…..advice a tad to late….order Black Diamond carbon ones from Decathlon and pass hand luggage security check with ease….my mo for years now…
I have a pair of decent Fizan poles which I bought 3 years ago so am reluctant to replace them when they serve me well. I’ll be putting them in hold luggage when we walk from SJPDP in September. For my shorter Portugues Camino, cheap poles from Decathlon shall be fine (hopefully!)

€83,-

If you buy Black Diamond Z-poles they fold into 3 and easily fit in a backpack. I have been using them since 2010. No problems, including Ryannair. Ann, Pilgrim from Australia.

Or leave at albergue for next person!
My poles fit inside my pack
Yes, that's what I meant by 'ditch'...leave them somewhere appropriate...not actually just toss them at some random location! 😆
My Aussie sense of humour & terminology causing the lack of clarity there... 😇
Happy trails.
👣 🌏

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Same as Anna and Kerith. I have Black Diamond poles that collapse to the length of 1/3 and easily fit into a pack. I have been on the Camino 4 times over the past 10 years and have flown with Ryan Air as well as other carriers and have never had an issue.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.