• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving very soon, but shoes aren't waterproof!! Advice, ple

winkcharm

Time of past OR future Camino
may '13
I've been doing long walks in my trusty Keen Voyageur Lows but have just now realized this model is not waterproof!!!! I can get the Targhee IIs (they have the same toe box and sole, slightly different upper) but won't have time to break them in.

What I have: http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/produ ... d/voyageur
What I'm considering: http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/produ ... rghee%20ii or the mid-rise version for ankle support http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/produ ... 20ii%20mid

Is this doing a switch asking for trouble?? :?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Very big trouble :cry:

Wet shoes can be dried , especially with paper in them at night , but new shoes regardless of the quality will destroy your feet.
I would take a pair of sandals that are worn in and if the shoes are wet use them.

No problemo!

I would never wear waterproof shoes on the Camino. Your feet need to breathe. You are going to sweat a lot. Don't worry about it. If it rains stuff them with paper at night.

I wear New Balance trainers
They are dry by morning every time so far.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
For the first time we have seen the Keen boots and sandals, in Cangas de Onis. Unlike our Hi-Tec boots (UK) they were a suede leather so less waterproof. Ours are a smooth leather which is why they are both waterproof and breathable. It is the type of leather that makes the difference I think.

My new Grisport boots are lined with something similar to Goretex and were sweaty. They did not dry out overnight without a lot of work - serviettes pressed into the lining was the best way to finally dry them.

If your boots leak then a breathable waterproof spray, for jackets, might help. If it is more of a sweat problem then drying them each night is the only way I expect.

i second tia advice.

wet boots/sandals can be dried very easily. as soon as you get to the albergue, stuff your boots tight with newspaper. depending on how wet your boots are, restuff them a second time after the stuffed paper have soaked thru. them before you go to bed, repeat it again. you will find out in the morning your boots will be dried.

also do not use boots with gore-tex lining in the summer camino. your feet will sweat and this is one of the causes of blisters.

buen camino.

Waterproof shoes are too hot for my feet on the camino, so I bring SealSkinz.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Waterproof boots are not really necessary and don't be tempted to start out in brand new boots-a perfect recipe for blisters and worse. There are numerous products in the form of a paste or gel to rub into your boots which will prevent water from being a problem, it should be down three or four times before you walk and at least once a week as you walk especially if it should be very wet or if it is very hot (sweaty feet), not heavy not bulky and solves many problems Put the tube in a microwave for 10 seconds to warm it up and then rub rub rub.
S

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There is a secret to staying dry; don't get wet.

-walk around the puddles
-tiptoe through the cow patties
-if caught out in a Galacian downpour, find a high point to stand and wait it out.
-if you need to ford a creek (unlikely) - take the shoes off and go barefoot.

The shoes you have are lightweight enough to dry on your feet in an hour of walking.

Waterproof merrel hiking shoes poncho and waterproof rain pants = dry blister free feet.
I am not sure that in concurrent wet days you could get your shoes to dry overnight and unless you bring hiking sandals (too heavy for me) you have a problem

Stick with what you have -= all is well, this is just pre-Camino nervousness and wanting to get everything 'right'.
So you may get wet feet - so? Enjoy!

Buen Camino :wink:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Waterproof boots tend to not be waterproof--so waterproof them yourself--with something like snow seal. In an emergency Vaseline Petroleum Jelly ca be used. Most boots and hiking shoes do not need a lot of breaking in time--unless they are all leather--they definitely need more time to break in--always buy boots one size too big to accommodate the swelling of feet due to walking and when you buy boots walk around in the store with them before you buy just to try them out--this will give you a feel for how they will be to walk in--be aware that if your heal moves in the cup of the boot it will not be a good walker--you will get blisters--and make sure that your toes do not hit the end of the boot while walking (all of this done in the store before purchase).

I've been doing long walks in my trusty Keen Voyageur Lows but have just now realized this model is not waterproof!!!! I can get the Targhee IIs (they have the same toe box and sole, slightly different upper) but won't have time to break them in.

What I have: http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/produ ... d/voyageur
What I'm considering: http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/produ ... rghee%20ii or the mid-rise version for ankle support http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/produ ... 20ii%20mid

Is this doing a switch asking for trouble?? :?

"I've been doing long walks in my trusty Keen Voyageur Lows"
That's exactly the reason why you should NOT change now!!!!!
You'll be fine. Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Wow you learn something new everyday....I never for a second would have thought it better to be in non waterproof shoes. I wore Brooks gortex trail runners on the Frances and a few women were wishing they had done the same. This time I was going to do Keenes, I had few problems but noticed people in Keenes faired very well. Then I got wind of Hoka Onye Onye and was determined to try those for my Norte, my problem has been the only waterproof option is sold in europe and not the States. Good to know seeking the non waterproof option might be a better solution.

GoreTex boots fairly quickly leak through, and they have the disadvantage that it is harder for foot sweat to evaporate off, compared to a non-waterproof boot. I hiked the Camino Frances with Salomon trail runners that were GorTex. My feet were completely soaked any time it rained hard for more than an hour. But you know what, wet feet really aren't that bad at all. I walked four or five hours in completely soaked waterproof shoes on a number of days, and my one blister was unrelated to the wetness. Actually one advantage to walking shoes being completely soaked, you can go ahead and walk straight through mud puddles! It's liberating in a way.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Waterproof merrel hiking shoes poncho and waterproof rain pants = dry blister free feet.
I am not sure that in concurrent wet days you could get your shoes to dry overnight and unless you bring hiking sandals (too heavy for me) you have a problem
Can't help but agree.
Waterproof shoes for me.
Regds
Gerard

If you are walking the Camino during the warm weather months non-waterproof boots will be OK--if you walk when it is cold--when your feet are wet you will even feel more misrable when it rains.

@Davo60 : I walked from Logroño to Santiago in Salomon Goretex non leather mid boots and loved them - so light! They kept most of the rain out and most of the sweat in, to be honest, but with vaseline-liner-wool sock combo and taking shoes and socks off at any opportunity it all worked wonders. Wool is a must - no cotton socks!

@winkcharm : I bought the Salomon boots in Logroño after my Merrell hiking shoes turned out to be too small and never developed new blisters in them - only kept the ones my tight shoes had provided me with - though i would not and will not recommend changing boots just before or into the Camino! Many of the people I met preferred non waterproof shoes or boots and just let them dry overnight. Non leather tends to be lighter and dry faster.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
@Davo60 : I walked from Logroño to Santiago in Salomon Goretex non leather mid boots and loved them - so light! They kept most of the rain out and most of the sweat in, to be honest, but with vaseline-liner-wool sock combo and taking shoes and socks off at any opportunity it all worked wonders. Wool is a must - no cotton socks!

@winkcharm : I bought the Salomon boots in Logroño after my Merrell hiking shoes turned out to be too small and never developed new blisters in them - only kept the ones my tight shoes had provided me with - though i would not and will not recommend changing boots just before or into the Camino! Many of the people I met preferred non waterproof shoes or boots and just let them dry overnight. Non leather tends to be lighter and dry faster.

I will leave SJPD on the 14th May, just a bit worried about my boots ( they are full length to protect my dodgy ankle) they are firm without being tight and I have walked in them for 3 hour walks and had no blisters so far, they do get hot. I am trying different merino wool socks of various thicknesses so hopefully I'll have some indication of what will work.
Very keen to try the Vaseline. I have also brought some Keen Newport sandals to take with me as well as backup . So far pilgrims are mostly recommending low cut boots so that is casting a bit of doubt about my full length boots, thanks for the input folks, much appreciated.
Buen Camino

I would recommend sitting down every so often and airing your feet.

This is best accompanied by a cafe con leche.

Seriously, it might be worth trying coolmax socks. I'll say upfront they don't work for me (I use wool socks summer and winter) but I know people who swear by them.

I wore full length boots, because I had an old pair I knew and trusted. I'll do the same when I go back - just don't feel as stable in a pack with trainers. But it's mostly easy walking, so its not neccessary unless your feet are happier in them.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice guys I think I will take the advice and air out my boots every couple of hours my merino inner and outer socks are proving to be a success, no blisters so far , the boots are firm without bring tight. One thing I have picked up on I'd the absolute need for constant foot care. Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
All I’ve seen this advertised here on the site and wondered if anyone had used one and what’s the experience. I’m follically challenged Irish guy so fair complexion but I also get very hot with...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hello all. I am planning my first camino end of May. fly into Porto and head north. I plan on staying in Albergos and had a few questions. Should I being my own towel? How far in advance do I...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.