• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leon to SDC in Start of Nov

Joshua Lok

Time of past OR future Camino
Nov 2014
Dear fellow philgirms,

i would be heading for my camino with my wife arriving on the 1st Nov 130pm in Madrid.

hope that i can garner some assistance:

1. I doubt i can make it for the train timing at 230pm, thus the earliest i think i can reach Leon would be 8-830pm. isit too risky for me to buy the 230pm train ticket? the later timing will allow me to reach at 8pm, i afraid that there'll be no lodging available. any advice for this aspect?

2. where can i go to get my credentials stamped in Leon as my starting point?

3. i intend to complete the 300km camino in 14 days, spent another 1 day by bus to/fro finisterre, is this feasible? i read that the albergue will not accept philgrims by bus at finisterre, so would it be better to go there for a day-trip and back?

4. What's the weather like at that timing? the average temp? will it be necessary to prepare winter/snow clothings?

thanks so much.
joshua

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
1330 arrival means NO chance of taking the 1430 train.

You might try ALSA bus from terminal 4 or Estacion Sur.

ALSA
http://www.alsa.es/en/

I went from end October to mid December. There was frost almost daily. By mid November a jacket was usually worn all day.

You do not need winter clothing ... in the unlikely event it gets cold enough to need it ... buy it enroute. Bring light gloves, a hat, and a scarf.

The big deal is rain in Galicia. It started squalling hard just as I got to Fisterra in mid December. Streets filled with water in 5 minutes. Apparently the rains were late that year.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Joshua,

In Leon you can get your Credential stamped wherever you stay. I usually stop at the Albergue del Monasterio de las Benedictinas (Carbajalas), Plaza Santa María del Camino, 7. Here is their web page. For additional accommodation suggestions scan this list of hotels suggested by other members.

Be sure to read what has been written about walking west from Leon towards Astorga following either the main camino or a more rural alternate in this earlier Forum thread.

One never knows what the weather might be, but lightweight layers are most practical for walking in late autumn/winter. All of us who walk at this time have our favorite combos; see this recent thread for more ideas.

Buen Camino to you both,

Margaret Meredith

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Joshua,

On Sunday October 26 in Spain and much of the European Union the time will change back one hour from DST (Daylight Savings Time) to Standard time. Clocks will be set back one hour at 03:00 to 02:00. There will be more light in the morning but darkness will arrive earlier each afternoon. See this Time and Date site for more info.

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
We started in Leon as well - arrived by train, stayed overnight and then started walking in the morning. We had reserved a hotel room for Leon so that we didn't have to worry about finding a place when we arrived. We had our credential stamped at our lodging before we left in the morning.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Joshua,

On Sunday October 26 in Spain and much of the European Union the time will change back one hour from DST (Daylight Savings Time) to Standard time. Clocks will be set back one hour at 03:00 to 02:00. There will be more light in the morning but darkness will arrive earlier each afternoon. See this Time and Date site for more info.

Margaret Meredith

hi Margaret,

your blog holds great info. honestly, now im tempted to take the path off the expressway by gg rural. im not sure if the walking distance is the same and the time taken is the same. i used your maps and im kinda lost coz its quite off the main route, any advice on this? cheers

josh

hi Margaret,

your blog holds great info. honestly, now im tempted to take the path off the expressway by gg rural. im not sure if the walking distance is the same and the time taken is the same. i used your maps and im kinda lost coz its quite off the main route, any advice on this? cheers

josh

Josh,

Sorry, but I am a bit confused. What do you mean by gg rural?

If you are referring to the camino alternate route from Virgen del Camino - Hospital de Órbigo see this handy on line digital map from fellow Forum member Peter Robins comprehensive Walking Pilgrim site.

As mentioned in my earlier post read what has been written about walking west from Leon towards Astorga following either the main camino or a more rural alternate in this earlier Forum thread.

It is always very pleasant to escape the N120 highway noise and suburban sprawl while crossing wide flat plains up to V de M where there are several pilgrim albergues listed here on the Mundicamino site. Albergue Tio Pepe is where I usually stop. Nevertheless, in autumn watch out for hunters shooting across the fields! No joke. Wear a bright color and make noise as you cross the plains.

Margaret

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Josh,

Sorry, but I am a bit confused. What do you mean by gg rural?

If you are referring to the camino alternate route from Virgen del Camino - Hospital de Órbigo see this handy on line digital map from fellow Forum member Peter Robins comprehensive Walking Pilgrim site.

As mentioned in my earlier post read what has been written about walking west from Leon towards Astorga following either the main camino or a more rural alternate in this earlier Forum thread.

It is always very pleasant to escape the N120 highway noise and suburban sprawl while crossing wide flat plains up to V de M where there are several pilgrim albergues listed here on the Mundicamino site. Albergue Tio Pepe is where I usually stop. Nevertheless, in autumn watch out for hunters shooting across the fields! No joke. Wear a bright color and make noise as you cross the plains.

Margaret

Hi Margaret,

Thanks once again for your assistance. Yes! i meant that if possible, i hope i can avoid walking the N120 expressway route and take the more greenery route. but im not sure if it will affect the time i scheduled to walk. originally, based on the original route, i will go to Paramo (correct me if im wrong). but since its mainly expressway, i prefer to go the alternate route to Villar de Mazariffe (i trust this is the alternate route).

going by both ways, is there much of a time difference taken? and yes, as this is the first, i think i should come back to the hospital after Mazariffe.

thanks!

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.