• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lesson learned: must unlock phone to use a European SIM Card (My Fail)

Maurice Frank

Camino for Community
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances Sept-Oct 2023, Portuguese July-Aug 2024
My mistake today: I should have checked with my US cell provider T-Mobile to find out if my phone is unlocked and able to accept another SIM card.

My iPhone is on a payment plan with significant promotional benefits so it cannot be unlocked until it’s fully paid off (I’m half way through the payments).

This means the Orange SIM card I purchased for 20 Euros is unusable and money wasted. I didn’t learn this until after I purchased the SIM and the staff person discovered it could not be activated.

It’s my fault for not checking ahead of time so I don’t blame Orange or T-Mobile

The SIM is linked to my passport so I can’t even give it away

Tip: if you plan to buy a SIM card in Europe make sure your phone is unlocked and fully able to use a second SIM.

I do have a T-Mobile international plan so I can communicate with friends and family at home. And I can use WhatsApp too because I have a data allowance.

I’m here for my first Camino so I’ll just think of this as a 20 Euro learning experience.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My mistake today: I should have checked with my US cell provider T-Mobile to find out if my phone is unlocked and able to accept another SIM card.

My iPhone is on a payment plan with significant promotional benefits so it cannot be unlocked until it’s fully paid off (I’m half way through the payments).

This means the Orange SIM card I purchased for 20 Euros is unusable and money wasted. I didn’t learn this until after I purchased the SIM and the staff person discovered it could not be activated.

It’s my fault for not checking ahead of time so I don’t blame Orange or T-Mobile

Tip: if you plan to buy a SIM card in Europe make sure your phone is unlocked and fully able to use a second SIM.

I do have a T-Mobile international plan so I can communicate with friends and family at home. And I can use WhatsApp too because I have a data allowance.

I’m here for my first Camino so I’ll just think of this as a 20 Euro learning experience.
I wasn't sure if my phone was unlocked or not because I couldn't remember which phone I had with me (I never get a "free" phone on a plan). The Orange dealer in Oviedo was kind enough to pop my SIM out and try an Orange SIM in my phone to verify. Fortunately this phone was also unlocked and compatible with the Euro networks. They were also able to somehow use my Canadian number to allow my WhatsApp contacts etc to still work. I used to know all this detail but I can't keep up with it anymore! 😂

I would add that I did pay Orange for a USB C wall charger that worked out to roughly $60CDN so that was my mistake for not buying one on Amazon before I left. It is very fast at charging though! 😂💸💸

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
That's how WhatsApp works - the person at the Orange store didn't do anything special
I wasn't aware of this. Very cool.
I just figured with my sim card removed and a new one in its place my phone number would no longer be connected to the phone and thus the apps. 🤯

Yep. I bought a new iPhone for my Camino so I could take good photos, then learned that I couldn’t actually use it as a phone! Ended up taking two phones: my son’s old (unlocked) phone for communication and my new one for photos. Not the best set-up, but it worked.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Thank you— we can all learn— it’s €20 well spent.

I’ve got t-Mobile- and I know theirs don’t do E-Sim..
I’ll turn in the International Plan— but have a local SIM card would/could be handy too…

I’ve got t-Mobile- and I know theirs don’t do E-Sim..
I’ll turn in the International Plan— but have a local SIM card would/could be handy too…
You can have an e-sim with T-Mobile if your phone supports it.
I have always just used my T-Mobile plan's free roaming data while I'm in Spain, but this year I have a new "Max" plan that comes with 5GB of high speed data each month while abroad. I did get quite used to the higher speed, do when I ran out I topped it off with another 15GB package from T-Mobile. My phone was locked (I got a killer deal on my new phone this way) so I wasn't able to use another sim.

I love it when amerikans discover how screwed their telecommunications are
To be fair, locking devices to the carrier that provided you with a handset still being paid for is a pretty common business model. You might still find things about the US telecommunications marketplace that you think are dysfunctional in its differences to the rest of the world, but this is not one.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You can have an e-sim with T-Mobile if your phone supports it.
I have always just used my T-Mobile plan's free roaming data while I'm in Spain, but this year I have a new "Max" plan that comes with 5GB of high speed data each month while abroad. I did get quite used to the higher speed, do when I ran out I topped it off with another 15GB package from T-Mobile. My phone was locked (I got a killer deal on my new phone this way) so I wasn't able to use another sim.
Ahh.. good info-
I tried to go to my Phones settings (iPhone12) and it indicated no E-sim- I can't even remember where i looked on my phone..?-- I'll take a closer look at their Plans- do you remember roughly what the costs were to add the 15GB- I'm wondering if i'm just better going with Roaming on my phone now-- or if its better - price wise to get another Sim card?- if I did get another Sim card- we know they cost 20E- is it the same SIM car in Italy and Spain- where i will be before i start my Camino?

I always buy an eSIM in Canada before I leave then I activate it the day before to make sure everything is working. No need to pop any Sim cards in or out

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ahh.. good info-
I tried to go to my Phones settings (iPhone12) and it indicated no E-sim- I can't even remember where i looked on my phone..?-- I'll take a closer look at their Plans- do you remember roughly what the costs were to add the 15GB- I'm wondering if i'm just better going with Roaming on my phone now-- or if its better - price wise to get another Sim card?- if I did get another Sim card- we know they cost 20E- is it the same SIM car in Italy and Spain- where i will be before i start my Camino?

Do you have one of their unlimited plans that gives you free data roaming abroad? I think that most of them do. I have the Magenta Max plan which includes the 5 GB of high speed data while I'm abroad. I paid $50 for 15 more GB after I used up the 5 GB. More expensive than if I my phone was unlocked and I had been able to use a Spanish e-sim, but I did save a ton on the phone.

If I had been able to use a foreign e-sim I was going to use Airalo - they have regional plans that include all of Europe, and country specific plans. These are data only plans, and do not include phone calls. I get around that by using WhatsApp to make calls whenever possible. If I need to call a landline or other non-WhatsApp number I use the Viber app. I buy $5 worth of Viber Out credits, which enable me to make calls for about 2 cents a minute. I never come close to using all the credit and I don't think that it expires.

Ahh.. good info-
The cost is $50 USD and there are taxes that add $5-7. Not cheap but convenient especially for my family and friends who need not make any changes to contact me

Do you have one of their unlimited plans that gives you free data roaming abroad? I think that most of them do. I have the Magenta Max plan which includes the 5 GB of high speed data while I'm abroad. I paid $50 for 15 more GB after I used up the 5 GB. More expensive than if I my phone was unlocked and I had been able to use a Spanish e-sim, but I did save a ton on the phone.

If I had been able to use a foreign e-sim I was going to use Airalo - they have regional plans that include all of Europe, and country specific plans. These are data only plans, and do not include phone calls. I get around that by using WhatsApp to make calls whenever possible. If I need to call a landline or other non-WhatsApp number I use the Viber app. I buy $5 worth of Viber Out credits, which enable me to make calls for about 2 cents a minute. I never come close to using all the credit and I don't think that it expires.
I have the Magenta Max for age 55+. Sounds similar to yours

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ahh.. good info-
I tried to go to my Phones settings (iPhone12) and it indicated no E-sim-
iPhone 12 should be e-sim compatible. I tried a few e-sim providers on my last Europe trip / Camino (trial and error on my e-sim learning curve.)
This is what it looks like on my iPhone 11.

Attachments

• IMG_7081.png
    IMG_7081.png
    192.3 KB · Views: 5
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
What’s that monthly- if I can ask. I’ve been with T-Mobile when they were Sprint. I’m clearly overpaying 2-lines..$160 with taxes monthly..
I have the 55+ plan - it's $90/month for two lines of unlimited calls, texts, and data (in the US) with no additional taxes or fees.

Not in the UK any more. New phones sold here since December 2021 are unlocked even if sold by a mobile network as part of a contract or pre-paid deal.
Still not a good reason to have a shot at our US cousins for a practice that still exists is many other countries.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have the 55+ plan - it's $90/month for two lines of unlimited calls, texts, and data (in the US) with no additional taxes or fees.
I think technically the account is under my name- let me see what I can do to get this switched to my buddy- they will probably recognize their own numbers- but - I knew I was paying too much..

What about buying a cheap unlocked phone to put your sim card in?
I love it when amerikans discover how screwed their telecommunications are 🤭
Glad it makes you happy. We in the US are stuck. If you know a work-around, we'd be happy to hear it.

I even bought an iPhone SE to replace my beloved iPod (that 'disappeared' from church last March) and even though I bought it outright (not on payments or contract) there's still some nonsense that I have to pay Verizon 60 days' worth of service before they'll unlock it. I only want it unlocked for the time I am traveling outside the US just in case I need to call because of an emergency, but no, Verizon refuses to unlock it.
Can anyone tell me if in Europe they have the same set up as in the US that one can call 911 (112 in Spain) without a SIM card and get through to the police/ambulance?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.