• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lidl UK RockTrail’ Hiking Gear

green_spork

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues
Aug/Sept (2017)
May be of help to anyone planning a forthcoming Camino on a budget!

From Thursday 23 February, Lidl u.k is selling various Rocktrail’ Hiking gear/equipment, including:

Aluminium Hiking poles
20L Backpacks
70L Duffle Bags
Head torches
Waterproof Trousers/Jackets
Hiking boots

I don’t recall seeing this brand before, I remember Lidl normally stocking their own “Crane” line of Camping/Hiking equipment!

From a quick search. It’s seems they have also previously sold “RockTrail” Tents!

The Duffel bag, looks similar to ‘The North Face’ Camp Duffle bags I have, but it’s listed as being made from 100% Polyester, rather than P.VC like TNF!

I don’t think I would trust the boots, but the other items would probably be adequate for a short Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I bought a pair of their hiking poles about 3 years ago, maybe not the same make/model, but it might give an indication. They needed some adjusting and tightening to make them suitable, the clip type grips that extended the poles were a bit loose, but could be tightened to stop them collapsing when I put a bit of weight on them. I should add that I am heavy on poles and so on, as I am tall and solidly built. Cannot speak for the boots and clothing, although their base layers have been adequate in the past. I suspect that they will be perfectly OK, but not top of the line, I agree that I would be wary of the footware until I have tried a pair, as each person is different, they may be brilliant, but all footware should be thoroughly tested out before commiting to them for even a short trip.

I bought a pair of their hiking poles about 3 years ago, maybe not the same make/model, but it might give an indication. They needed some adjusting and tightening to make them suitable, the clip type grips that extended the poles were a bit loose, but could be tightened to stop them collapsing when I put a bit of weight on them. I should add that I am heavy on poles and so on, as I am tall and solidly built. Cannot speak for the boots and clothing, although their base layers have been adequate in the past. I suspect that they will be perfectly OK, but not top of the line, I agree that I would be wary of the footware until I have tried a pair, as each person is different, they may be brilliant, but all footware should be thoroughly tested out before commiting to them for even a short trip.
Interesting you mention the poles, I managed to have a look at the whole range earlier today!
I personally don’t use hiking poles, so am no way an expert, but I thought they looked fairly decent, definitively not Leki quality!
The boots, wouldn’t touch, maybe ok for walking the dog, very clunky looking!
The jackets/trousers, no better/worse than you’d find in Mountain Warehouse for x3 as much.
I used a set of Merino base layers from Aldi, while walking the Primitivo in September! Very happy with them, wished I’d bought a second set.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I dont know about Lidl products but I bought a back pack from Aldi which has been very good for two Caminos. I hope to use it again for another Camino later this year.

I used Lidl walking poles for years they were fantastic, eventually gave them to a fellow pilgrim in SJPdP on my way home in 2022 (her newly purchased poles were broken) I hope they saw her to Santiago 👍

I used a 35l backpack from Lidl to do the UK South West Coast path and it was very comfortable and gave a good few years of use (but not waterproof).

The waterproof coats are brilliant and very good value for money. Coming to its end of life it also doubled as a makeshift ground sheet.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.