A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Camino Forum Donation

Lidocaine patches available on Camino Frances, in local pharmacies?

Camino(s) past & future
planning several, but will co camino Le Puy and camino Frances ( 2021) then another fall (2022)
I am wondering. I am planning on walking both the Camino LePuy and the Camino Frances one after another. I have arthritis in my mid and upper back. I get pain despite excellent fitting and light backpacks. Cannot take ibuprofen. What works for me when I hike, is before hiking or going into a situation where I know I will get pain in back is applying the over the counter lidocaine patches, two one to upper and one to lower back. If I wait until pain begins they do no good. So, my question is: Has anyone noted on their travels if the lidocaine patches are available in the French and Spanish pharmacies along the Way? I am not planning on taking anything other than minimal needed supplies in my backpack, and these patches are heavy. I can imagine having to carry a few days at a time, but not over two months worth. I have checked on google, but unable to figure out if they are available along The Way or not. Thanks ahead of time for any answers. I amm talking about over the counter versions.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) portugues(2013)San Salvador (2017)
I googled lidocaine patches, farmacias, espana. The answer is yes, they are now stocked in farmacias In Spain. Sorry I haven't time to do more searching at this moment, but it looks as if you will be lucky.

Camino(s) past & future
SJPDP-Finisterre X 2 - 2016 & 2017, El Norte - Irun to Vilalba 2018
You might want to look into taking turmeric supplements. It has shown to have anti-inflammatory properties. I found some in Spain too. Look for cúrcuma.

Camino(s) past & future
Pamplona to Santiago (2013)
Le Puy to Pamplona in segments (2013 - 2016)
Pamplona to León
My wife purchased lidocaine patches in France. But she had to buy about 80 euros worth. There was no package with a smaller quantity available at the pharmacy that she randomly visited. She had previously cut up some of her patches which she had applied to blisters on our French friends' feet. So the 80 euro purchase was shared by about four hikers and the patches were distributed among them.

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 11 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 126 15.5%
  • May

Votes: 198 24.3%