• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need pharmacy near Ponferrada that is open on Sunday

MARSKA

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Sept/Oct 2023
Hello! I e developed bronchitis and mi Camino amiga is a doctor who is willing to submit a prescription for antibiotics to a pharmacy nearby on the Camino. Bless her soul!
The problem - no farmacia in Rabanal (yesterday). Arrived in Molinesca today, Saturday after the farmacia closed (closed at 2).it wont be open tomorrow at all (Sunday). We will walk through Ponferrada around 9am tomorrow morning. Does anyone know if a farmacia will be open ? Or how I can search online to see what is open? Or where on our part of the Camino there will be a Farmacia open tomorrow, Sunday. (Molinesca to before Villafranca Beizro- sorry I know spelling is not correct) Mi Amiga is already going out of her way to help me and I don't want to send her on anymore goose chases.
The hospitalist at the hostel is no help at all - in fact he sent us to the closed farmacia tonight.
Gracias!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello! I e developed bronchitis and mi Camino amiga is a doctor who is willing to submit a prescription for antibiotics to a pharmacy nearby on the Camino. Bless her soul!
The problem - no farmacia in Rabanal (yesterday). Arrived in Molinesca today, Saturday after the farmacia closed (closed at 2).it wont be open tomorrow at all (Sunday). We will walk through Ponferrada around 9am tomorrow morning. Does anyone know if a farmacia will be open ? Or how I can search online to see what is open? Or where on our part of the Camino there will be a Farmacia open tomorrow, Sunday. (Molinesca to before Villafranca Beizro- sorry I know spelling is not correct) Mi Amiga is already going out of her way to help me and I don't want to send her on anymore goose chases.
The hospitalist at the hostel is no help at all - in fact he sent us to the closed farmacia tonight.
Gracias!

Internet is our friend.

BUSCADOR DE FARMACIAS DE GUARDIA
Fecha de Búsqueda:
v

Zonas de Búsqueda:
v

Nº ofic. 109 YSART ALVAREZ DE TOLEDO, SONSOLES TERESA
Dir. AV DE LA PUEBLA, Nº 31PONFERRADA
Tfno. 987 424 076
Zona PONFERRADA

Nº ofic. 372 BELZUZ GUERRERO, MARIA ESTHER
Dir. AV CONSTITUCIÓN L. 180-181PONFERRADA
Tfno. 987 420 809
Zona PONFERRADA

Nº ofic. 190 FARMACIA GUERRERO ABELLA, C.B.
Dir. AV DE LA PUEBLA, Nº 6PONFERRADA
Tfno. 987 410 070
Zona PONFERRADA
Nocturna

Internet is our friend.

BUSCADOR DE FARMACIAS DE GUARDIA
Fecha de Búsqueda:
v

Zonas de Búsqueda:
v

Nº ofic. 109 YSART ALVAREZ DE TOLEDO, SONSOLES TERESA
Dir. AV DE LA PUEBLA, Nº 31PONFERRADA
Tfno. 987 424 076
Zona PONFERRADA

Nº ofic. 372 BELZUZ GUERRERO, MARIA ESTHER
Dir. AV CONSTITUCIÓN L. 180-181PONFERRADA
Tfno. 987 420 809
Zona PONFERRADA

Nº ofic. 190 FARMACIA GUERRERO ABELLA, C.B.
Dir. AV DE LA PUEBLA, Nº 6PONFERRADA
Tfno. 987 410 070
Zona PONFERRADA
Nocturna

Thanks! I will call the farms in Ponferrada. I never would have found that internet site on my own!!!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Get well soon ! For those who do get ill on the camino don't be shy you should go to the nearest local health centre to see a doctor or nurse, you'll find them at the end of each stage you walk. To find them or the nearest chemists I always use Google Maps. In addition finding chemists outside hours you can go to the nearest one and even if they are closed they display in the window which chemist nearby is open.

Get well soon ! For those who do get ill on the camino don't be shy you should go to the nearest local health centre to see a doctor or nurse, you'll find them at the end of each stage you walk. To find them or the nearest chemists I always use Google Maps. In addition finding chemists outside hours you can go to the nearest one and even if they are closed they display in the window which chemist nearby is open.

True that Spain has a well developed network of centros de salud though not " each stage " at the end of your walk will have one. Certainly not on lesser walked Caminos.
Some towns and pueblos will have a centro de salud with limited opening hours. The even smaller villages will only have visiting hours from a GP on certain days.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
True that Spain has a well developed network of centros de salud though not " each stage " at the end of your walk will have one. Certainly not on lesser walked Caminos.
Some towns and pueblos will have a centro de salud with limited opening hours. The even smaller villages will only have visiting hours from a GP on certain days.
I hear what you say although in my experience in Spain any day of the week during the normal hours we're active it's easy to visit a health centre. Another thing that pilgrims often overlook is to use a taxi, especially if ts urgent !

Gracias!
Farmacia La Puebla 6. This one is right on the Camino as you leave the centre of Ponferrada. It’s open 24 hours.

I hear what you say although in my experience in Spain any day of the week during the normal hours we're active it's easy to visit a health centre. Another thing that pilgrims often overlook is to use a taxi, especially if ts urgent !
That of the taxi is correct. Years ago, on the Inglés , after normal hours of the centro de salud in Sigueiro I had to take a taxi to the ER in Santiago.

I do remember another year , on the CF, that in Azofra there was only a visiting doc for a couple of days during daytime hours.

See the website of the ayuntamiento of Azofra.

ASISTENCIA MÉDICA

• Dirección: Antonio Pérez nº11.
  • Teléfono cita previa: 941379281
  • Horario: lunes y viernes de 12 a 14. martes y jueves de 9 a 14. miércoles, sin servicio.
  • Profesionales: Médico, Jorge Vecilla Platero. Enfermera, Isabel Martínez Pascual.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks everyone! As an FYI there is NO farmacia or medico available AT ALL I(not even 1 or 2 days/wk) n Rabanal as confirmed by everyone I spoke to , including the nun.

The 24hr pharm on the Camino in Ponferrada was open this morning so I was able to get everything I needed.

Another FYI. 2 days before I arrived in Rabanal a peregrina slipped on a wet floor in the Albergue and broke her wrist. She had to be taken to Leon - it was the nearest place to receive care. One of the wonderful hospitalero's drove her over and then back after the bone was set. The peregrina is continuing her Camino by bus & taxi. Gotta love it!!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! As an FYI there is NO farmacia or medico available AT ALL I(not even 1 or 2 days/wk) n Rabanal as confirmed by everyone I spoke to , including the nun.

The 24hr pharm on the Camino in Ponferrada was open this morning so I was able to get everything I needed.

Another FYI. 2 days before I arrived in Rabanal a peregrina slipped on a wet floor in the Albergue and broke her wrist. She had to be taken to Leon - it was the nearest place to receive care. One of the wonderful hospitalists drove her over and then back after the bone was set. The peregrina is continuing her Camino by bus & taxi. Gotta love it!!

Good to hear all is taken care off.

There is a difference though in being hospitalero or hospitalist . Especially in this situation...;)

That of the taxi is correct. Years ago, on the Inglés , after normal hours of the centro de salud in Sigueiro I had to take a taxi to the ER in Santiago.

I do remember another year , on the CF, that in Azofra there was only a visiting doc for a couple of days during daytime hours.

See the website of the ayuntamiento of Azofra.

ASISTENCIA MÉDICA

• Dirección: Antonio Pérez nº11.
  • Teléfono cita previa: 941379281
  • Horario: lunes y viernes de 12 a 14. martes y jueves de 9 a 14. miércoles, sin servicio.
  • Profesionales: Médico, Jorge Vecilla Platero. Enfermera, Isabel Martínez Pascual.
The medico is in Astorga 3 days per week according to the information I received.

€149,-
Gee, I just love it when a plan comes together. Glad all is working out for you.

The name of the game on Camino is to face up to challenges, assess them, then overcome them. Pilgrims have been doing this for over 1,200 years.

Then, when local folks pitch in and go above and beyond for a pilgrim, THAT is the spirit of the Camino. It is an expanded version of the Golden Rule.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
For future reference, and maybe, a higher degree of urgency, call a taxi. They know where everything is.

True.
I got a taxi to visit a pharmacy in Caceres on the VdlP this year.
I was staying about 10 kms short of the town.

The taxi driver said No Problem, I know one that is open..........

We 'both' went shopping and then headed back to the village where we started.

Finding the taxi in the village Valdesalor, was a hoot.
I asked in the local bar if there was a taxi.
It was that or ask in the shop at the other end of the village.

My Spanish is about Level 1 on Duo Lingo!
Google translate is handy.

It went like this.

Ah Yes. Jose has a taxi.
Who has his number?
We go outside where families are having lunch.
Who has Jose's number asks the bar tender?
I have pipes up one lady.
She calls Jose.
He's on his way. Take a seat.
10 mins later Jose turns up with an immaculate taxi and off we go........

30 minutes later we are back with the required meds.

Another FYI. 2 days before I arrived in Rabanal a peregrina slipped on a wet floor in the Albergue and broke her wrist. She had to be taken to Leon - it was the nearest place to receive care. One of the wonderful hospitalero's drove her over and then back after the bone was set. The peregrina is continuing her Camino by bus & taxi. Gotta love it!!
I am that peregrina :)

(Ignore my forum name - a mistake when I set up my forum profile)

Actually one of the monks at the monastery next to the Refugio Guacelmo, Father Eduardo, drove me and one of the hospitaleras to the guest hospital in Astorga. As they don’t have a radiology dept, we then had to go by taxi to Leon hospital. I must say that the care I received there was exemplary.

Regretfully I had to come to the conclusion that I need to head back to the UK sooner rather than later with my two breaks in my ulna and radius, and put myself in the hands of the NHS. I am uncomfortable at best and in pain at worst. So taxis and hotels have been my friend as I have have made my way to SdC via Ponferrada, Villafranca, O Cebreiro and Lugo, before arriving in Santiago, and the direct flight to London later this week.

Next year, i’ll return to finish, and also walk the Camino Primitivo

@Simperegrino - I broke my wrist (compound fracture) in Portugal last year, and had two surgeries there. I could barely dress myself, let alone finish my Camino, so I understand your disappointment. I hope that you heal well and quickly.

Ignore my forum name - a mistake when I set up my forum profile)
You can change your user name. Click or tap on your avatar at the top of the page, go to account details, then there is an option to change your name. It requires moderator approval, but we are usually pretty quick to approve name changes.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
True.
I got a taxi to visit a pharmacy in Caceres on the VdlP this year.
I was staying about 10 kms short of the town.

The taxi driver said No Problem, I know one that is open..........

We 'both' went shopping and then headed back to the village where we started.

Finding the taxi in the village Valdesalor, was a hoot.
I asked in the local bar if there was a taxi.
It was that or ask in the shop at the other end of the village.

My Spanish is about Level 1 on Duo Lingo!
Google translate is handy.

It went like this.

Ah Yes. Jose has a taxi.
Who has his number?
We go outside where families are having lunch.
Who has Jose's number asks the bar tender?
I have pipes up one lady.
She calls Jose.
He's on his way. Take a seat.
10 mins later Jose turns up with an immaculate taxi and off we go........

30 minutes later we are back with the required meds.
The Camino provides.

@Simperegrino - I broke my wrist (compound fracture) in Portugal last year, and had two surgeries there. I could barely dress myself, let alone finish my Camino, so I understand your disappointment. I hope that you heal well and quickly.

You can change your user name. Click or tap on your avatar at the top of the page, go to account details, then there is an option to change your name. It requires moderator approval, but we are usually pretty quick to approve name changes.
All done

Thanks Trecile and fellow mods

I’ve seen farmacías in several Spanish villages, and each had a sign saying where was the “on-call” farmacía for each day of the week. I suspect there’s a law about it. But, often, most were in a different nearby village.

(Aside: I now live in a big city, and the nearest pharmacy has a sign suggesting for after hours, one three hundred kilometers away instead of the 24-hour one only a kilometer away owned by a different company.)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...
Hi all, just a quickie. My friend is near Burgos and needs a chairopractor to give his back a click 😳 Apparently he has it done when home in Canada (it straightens the spine )but doesn't know if...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.