• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lisbon to Santiago in May or September?

AllanHG

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino France 2015
Camino Portuguese 2017
We are planning to walk the Camino Portuguese in 2017 but unsure if weather, especially precipitation, is better in May or September. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks,

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I've done a few camion's and the autumn I have found to be better than the spring in galacia. No guarantees!!!! Walking at harvest time is particularly beautiful too.

We are planning to walk the Camino Portuguese in 2017 but unsure if weather, especially precipitation, is better in May or September. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks,
walk PC in May - lovely! the only rain encountered was in ponte de lima and then galacia.
(there's a reason for galicia being so green ... many parts reminded me of switzerland. gorgeous, but bloody wet too often)
september is lovely too.
just go ahead and walk. weather patterns are so bent out of shape - who knows how the next round of season/s will shape up.
bom caminho.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
As Amor says - either month can be wet in Galicia, so .... just go for it!
I plan to walk the Primitivo in May. April and May are lovely as all the spring flowers are out, and the meadows are a wonderful shock of colour.
I walked the Portuguese from Porto on 2011. Check my diary http://snicholl5.wixsite.com/home-site/santiago It was such a wonderful experience, I've walked different caminos each year since!!
Buen camino, amigo!

I'm half way from Porto to SdC right now. I know that is not your question, but the weather has been remarkable. Getting up to 20 each day. Very chilly but not frosty overnight. Shortish daylight not a problem except for trying to dry clothes. Heavy showers in Porto on Saturday otherwise no rain. It's like high summer where I come from.
So I guess what I'm saying is weather a bit unpredictable. Most local people I've asked say the weather is unusual but not unprecedented. Lady in bar yesterday said she hoped it would get cold "for the people who sell clothes!"

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Allan,

I hope to walk the Portuguese from Lisbon before too long. A good friend is moving to Lisbon, I'll walk with her. I walked the CF this year in April. Lots of rain much of the way, but Galicia was perfect - sunny and glorious springtime all the way to SDC. I grew up in Canada, have lived in Australia for 50+ years. Maybe I'm still programmed for the intoxication of new life in spring after an icy, dark winter. Seasons in Australia are reversed! That's still strange to me after all these years.

I'm no expert on Spanish weather but I wanted to wish you well and say go for it! Here are a couple of pics I took in Galicia. That word will always be magic to me.

Buen Camino, - Mike

WEBSITE Camino Gallery 23.jpg WEBSITE Camino Gallery 24.jpg

Thanks everyone for the information. I just found an amazing seat sale to Lisbon so it will be June. Can hardly wait!

I'll be following the forum for routes, lodging, etc. as we plan our trip.

Allan

Thanks everyone for the information. I just found an amazing seat sale to Lisbon so it will be June. Can hardly wait!

I'll be following the forum for routes, lodging, etc. as we plan our trip.

Allan

Hi Alan, you are welcome to take a look at my blog. I posted everyday from the CP from Lisbon in May 2014 with lots of info and photos. It was my second Camino (now planning my fifth) and I enjoyed every step.
Bom Caminho!
https://magwood.me/camino-portuguese/

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked from Sagres to Santiago de Compostella in March/April this year.
It was pretty wet and cold then...
I think either May or September would be ok.
September may be busier...
I'm going to walk the Northern Route (Spain) in either May/June or Aug/Sept

It was my second Camino (now planning my fifth) and I enjoyed every step.
Bom Caminho!
https://magwood.me/camino-portuguese/

@Magwood ... I'm kind of following in your footsteps! I am thinking of Lisbon to Santiago October 2017 and my husband wants to walk the Norte with me in 2018! What is your next camino going to be? I have an early inkling for the Levante (maybe in spring 18) :D

Most read last week in this forum

Barcelos was having a huge May 1 celebration when we passed through. There was a major unveiling of a sculpture titled Peregrina the following day—very big event. We weren’t there, so I lifted a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back