• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Litter on the Camino, any Camino, is disgraceful! Take your stuff with you!

Tangodiver

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago French Way from St Jean Pied de Port
Hello,
I don't know if this topic has been brought up before, but as I hadn't seen anything, it might be time to introduce it again. This will be a bit of a rant, but I have good reasons having recently completed the Camino Frances with my husband.

Litter bothers me. I can't for the life of me understand why an adult needs to do it. The amount of litter I saw on the Camino is staggering and there is one particular type of litter that totally disgusts me, but I will get to that.

1. FOOD - mainly orange and banana peels. People, they take YEARS to biodegrade. There is no animal (or insect) in France or Spain, or anywhere else that I can think of, that actually eat them. Ants do not carry them down into the ground. Birds do not eat them. In fact, they are used as a repellent in certain circumstances. They just sit where people throw them. You could not sit down anywhere without finding an orange peel or banana skin, even when there was a bin nearby. If you didn't know that these skins weren't biodegradable, well you do now. So don't leave it behind. Stick it in your bag and take it away with you until you get to the next village and throw it in the bin.

2. CANS, BOTTLES, SHOES, ETC - these don't biodegrade either. So why are so dang lazy that you can't carry your EMPTY bottles or cans to the next village and put it in the recycling bins that they have in every town? Oh, and so your shoes look amusing for a moment sitting on top of a marker, but it is still litter, not a bleeding sculpture. Take your stuff with you and put it where it belongs, in a bin, not in the middle of the countryside!

3. TOILET PAPER - the most disgusting thing to be left near every tree or shrub on the Camino. LADIES, yes, it is mainly ladies. Men don't need to use paper when they pee on the side of the road. Only women use paper for a pee. How do YOU expect paper to biodegrade when left out in the open? It doesn't. Trust me, I've seen enough of it in the desert in Bolivia. This is the most disgraceful of all litter, as it isn't as if the paper just fell out of your bag, on the side of the road behind that bush or tree? Come on, who are you kidding? There is no way to bury it in that hard ground even if you use your poles. There are two things you can do: A) Take it with you. Yes, take it with you. Put it in a plastic bag and take it with you, with the rest of your rubbish. Urine is sterile, and it isn't as if you are being asked to take anyone else's with you. B) Drip dry. Yup, drip dry. If you don't like that damp feeling, but it shouldn't matter with all the sweating that goes on down there when it is scorchio outside, use panty liners. They don't weigh much, you can buy them in nearly every town, and they keep you dry. It is what I do when I travel and think I might get caught short. With all the amount of water that you drink on the Camino, it is inevitable that you may get caught short before you reach the next village bar/cafe. Especially when walking through the Meseta. So don't be a dirty, lazy so-and-so.

The bottom line is: TAKE IT WITH YOU PEOPLE!!!! You are a visitor in someone else's country! How would you feel if someone left a mess in your house after you just cleaned it! Rant over, now don't get me started about the graffiti!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you for sharing that old thread. Seems to be that some things don't change, and the part where the ~TP is left off the main path is pretty much pants and is just an excuse for laziness. It does bother me to see that people are lazy and dirty and make a mess. People need to grow up and take responsibility for their own actions and not expect for others to clean up after them.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In all probability, members or readers of this forum are not the culprits or future culprits of discarding litter on the Camino, or those that damage other's property via the criminal activity called graffiti (which has been discussed before on this forum, and surprisingly there were members who defended the Camino graffiti, seeing it as some twisted form of art). :rolleyes:

Hello,
I don't know if this topic has been brought up before, but as I hadn't seen anything, it might be time to introduce it again. This will be a bit of a rant, but I have good reasons having recently completed the Camino Frances with my husband.

Litter bothers me. I can't for the life of me understand why an adult needs to do it. The amount of litter I saw on the Camino is staggering and there is one particular type of litter that totally disgusts me, but I will get to that.

1. FOOD - mainly orange and banana peels. People, they take YEARS to biodegrade. There is no animal (or insect) in France or Spain, or anywhere else that I can think of, that actually eat them. Ants do not carry them down into the ground. Birds do not eat them. In fact, they are used as a repellent in certain circumstances. They just sit where people throw them. You could not sit down anywhere without finding an orange peel or banana skin, even when there was a bin nearby. If you didn't know that these skins weren't biodegradable, well you do now. So don't leave it behind. Stick it in your bag and take it away with you until you get to the next village and throw it in the bin.

2. CANS, BOTTLES, SHOES, ETC - these don't biodegrade either. So why are so dang lazy that you can't carry your EMPTY bottles or cans to the next village and put it in the recycling bins that they have in every town? Oh, and so your shoes look amusing for a moment sitting on top of a marker, but it is still litter, not a bleeding sculpture. Take your stuff with you and put it where it belongs, in a bin, not in the middle of the countryside!

3. TOILET PAPER - the most disgusting thing to be left near every tree or shrub on the Camino. LADIES, yes, it is mainly ladies. Men don't need to use paper when they pee on the side of the road. Only women use paper for a pee. How do YOU expect paper to biodegrade when left out in the open? It doesn't. Trust me, I've seen enough of it in the desert in Bolivia. This is the most disgraceful of all litter, as it isn't as if the paper just fell out of your bag, on the side of the road behind that bush or tree? Come on, who are you kidding? There is no way to bury it in that hard ground even if you use your poles. There are two things you can do: A) Take it with you. Yes, take it with you. Put it in a plastic bag and take it with you, with the rest of your rubbish. Urine is sterile, and it isn't as if you are being asked to take anyone else's with you. B) Drip dry. Yup, drip dry. If you don't like that damp feeling, but it shouldn't matter with all the sweating that goes on down there when it is scorchio outside, use panty liners. They don't weigh much, you can buy them in nearly every town, and they keep you dry. It is what I do when I travel and think I might get caught short. With all the amount of water that you drink on the Camino, it is inevitable that you may get caught short before you reach the next village bar/cafe. Especially when walking through the Meseta. So don't be a dirty, lazy so-and-so.

The bottom line is: TAKE IT WITH YOU PEOPLE!!!! You are a visitor in someone else's country! How would you feel if someone left a mess in your house after you just cleaned it! Rant over, now don't get me started about the graffiti!

so right you are and cannot be said enough times, specially regarding the toilet paper and tissues that will just magically biodegrade themselves into the bushes as soon as we walk on...

amazing the level and amount of entitlement modern day pilgrims, wanderers and wayfarers believe they have.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Every morning I worked at San Anton I walked about 1 km towards Hontanas and 1 km towards Castrojeriz and I filled a trash bag with pilgrim stuff. It makes no sense, why would someone leave tp and banana peels next to the dumpster, rather than dropping the litter in the box?

My parents bought a convenience store in a small town. My Mom was talking to one of the neighours and asked where she lived. She replied "one chocolate bar wrapper up the road". After than my siblings were sent out to clean litter for a couple of blocks in all directions from our store. And forty years plus later I still do not understand why people litter.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello,

For those that drop banana peels here are 20 things they can be used for.
The banana peel, like coffee grounds, tea leaves, and orange peels has a lot of beneficial qualities that’ll make you think twice the next time you toss it in the trash. We’ve gathered 20 of the best banana peel uses for you to try:

1) Shoe Polish: Did you know banana peels (on the inside) make a great shoe polish? Just rub it around your shoe and then buff it with a white cloth.

2) Teeth Whitener: Rub the inside of your banana peel on your teeth to whiten them. Apparently, the manganese, magnesium and potassium helps whiten the enamel of your teeth.

3) Wart Cure: It only takes 1-2 weeks to remove a wart with a banana peel.

4) Itch Soother: Banana peels can help relieve bug bites and poison ivy. It won’t remove the oils that cause the itching but it’ll soothe the bite or rash altogether.

5) Monkey Party: Have a Curious George party and put 30 peels on your deck for the kids to slip around on!

6) Silverware Polish: Blend banana peel with water and use on your silver to take the polish off with a soft cloth.

7) Meat tenderizer: Add a banana peel to your next roast and it’ll add just enough moisture to ensure that roast doesn’t get too dry.

8) Splinter Removal: Banana peels help ease splinters out of your skin. Place banana peel on a splinter with athletic tape for a while and then try to ease the splinter out.

9) Aphid Control: Aphids don’t like banana peels. If you bury some around your roses or other plants aphids love (like cauliflower), you’ll deter them from coming around. Or, try this garlic/banana peel spray for aphids.

10) Rose Food: Here are a few great recipes for feeding your roses with banana peels that are rich in calcium and magnesium, as well as many other trace minerals that your flowers love.

11) Bruise Patrol: Banana peels on the inside, if rubbed on a bruise, will aid in making it disappear.

12) Compost: Banana peels break down pretty quickly and add wonderful nutrients to your soil. Throw them in your compost!

13) Acne: Banana peels rubbed on your acne will help in the acne curing process.

14) Dry Skin Cure: If you have psoriasis, try rubbing the inside of a banana peel on your affected areas twice a day and you’ll see the dry scaly skin dissipate.

15) Banana Boat Campfire Dessert: This recipe will please all who are sitting around the campfire.

16) Hemorrhoid Cure: Yup, you guessed it. As with acne, banana peels help cure hemorrhoids.

17) Banana Peel Message: Leave a message for your child on their banana peel by pricking out letters with a toothpick, the skin will bruise and there will be a dark brown message for your sweetie by lunchtime.

18) Tomato Plant Fertilizer: Wrap a banana peel around your tomato starts when you plant them in the garden and they’ll enjoy the nutrients from the peel as they grow throughout the summer.

19) Banana Peel Steamed Pork and Rice: Try this recipe out for size.

20) Anti Depressant: Researchers have found that drinking boiled banana peel water (or juicing the peel) can ease depression.

For those that drop banana peels here are 20 things they can be used for.
The banana peel, like coffee grounds, tea leaves, and orange peels has a lot of beneficial qualities that’ll make you think twice the next time you toss it in the trash. We’ve gathered 20 of the best banana peel uses for you to try:

1) Shoe Polish: Did you know banana peels (on the inside) make a great shoe polish? Just rub it around your shoe and then buff it with a white cloth.

2) Teeth Whitener: Rub the inside of your banana peel on your teeth to whiten them. Apparently, the manganese, magnesium and potassium helps whiten the enamel of your teeth.

3) Wart Cure: It only takes 1-2 weeks to remove a wart with a banana peel.

4) Itch Soother: Banana peels can help relieve bug bites and poison ivy. It won’t remove the oils that cause the itching but it’ll soothe the bite or rash altogether.

5) Monkey Party: Have a Curious George party and put 30 peels on your deck for the kids to slip around on!

6) Silverware Polish: Blend banana peel with water and use on your silver to take the polish off with a soft cloth.

7) Meat tenderizer: Add a banana peel to your next roast and it’ll add just enough moisture to ensure that roast doesn’t get too dry.

8) Splinter Removal: Banana peels help ease splinters out of your skin. Place banana peel on a splinter with athletic tape for a while and then try to ease the splinter out.

9) Aphid Control: Aphids don’t like banana peels. If you bury some around your roses or other plants aphids love (like cauliflower), you’ll deter them from coming around. Or, try this garlic/banana peel spray for aphids.

10) Rose Food: Here are a few great recipes for feeding your roses with banana peels that are rich in calcium and magnesium, as well as many other trace minerals that your flowers love.

11) Bruise Patrol: Banana peels on the inside, if rubbed on a bruise, will aid in making it disappear.

12) Compost: Banana peels break down pretty quickly and add wonderful nutrients to your soil. Throw them in your compost!

13) Acne: Banana peels rubbed on your acne will help in the acne curing process.

14) Dry Skin Cure: If you have psoriasis, try rubbing the inside of a banana peel on your affected areas twice a day and you’ll see the dry scaly skin dissipate.

15) Banana Boat Campfire Dessert: This recipe will please all who are sitting around the campfire.

16) Hemorrhoid Cure: Yup, you guessed it. As with acne, banana peels help cure hemorrhoids.

17) Banana Peel Message: Leave a message for your child on their banana peel by pricking out letters with a toothpick, the skin will bruise and there will be a dark brown message for your sweetie by lunchtime.

18) Tomato Plant Fertilizer: Wrap a banana peel around your tomato starts when you plant them in the garden and they’ll enjoy the nutrients from the peel as they grow throughout the summer.

19) Banana Peel Steamed Pork and Rice: Try this recipe out for size.

20) Anti Depressant: Researchers have found that drinking boiled banana peel water (or juicing the peel) can ease depression.
:D:D:D And for those peregrinos who happen upon a discarded banana peel, pick it up ... with a little imagination, you'll find some way to use it. Or offer it to a passing peregrino, and make suggestions .... "Hemorrhoids bothering you .....?"

:D:D Where is @+@^^ when we need him?

I think its a bit of a feeble arguement to suggest that no member of this forum could/would possibly be guilty of dropping a piece of litter, a bit of toilet paper, a banana peel !! In a perfect world there would be no trash here in my mountains, on your home streets or on the Camino, but there you go, it exists on my mountains, on your streets and on our Camino. So maybe, as forum members, we can set the example (no matter who is guilty for the litter . ... women, forum members or not as the case may be) and set a goal to pick up a bag of trash each day or every two days or whatever your goal may be.

It isn't up to me to pick up other peoples trash, I don't understand why people litter but then I don't understand a lot of things in life, (I don't get marmite although I may try it again nor do I understand astrophysics) but the world nor the Camino will be a better place if we just leave it on the ground and complain about it here.

(no, I am not talking about toilet paper .... that is just a nasty that I am not going to touch)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Nearing the end of my third Camino Frances now in Portomarin and there is much more litter round than I have seen on previous Caminos. Certainly the toilet paper is all over the place now.

There is so much toilet tissue that outside of cities, the yellow waymarking arrows have become totally unnecessary as it is so much easier to just follow the white (erm, mostly) toilet tissue.

There once was a saying "He without sin cast the first stone", instead of getting upset and being negative how about positive thoughts yes there is pollution on the Camino but pollution also comes in all forms I think bad vibes, ie which walker had bad thoughts when a bike went wizzing by or when you saw the increase in crowds doing the last 100k, we should put ourselves in their shoes or bike seat I think St James would like us all to get on.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Orange peel takes a very long time to bio degrade as the orange oil is a natural anti bacterial (a few drops of orange oil makes a great and safe anti deodorant) Banana peel breaks down pretty easily and is ok IMO to compost.

Hello,

I wish I could sketch it out, but I take a regular grocery size plastic bag, fold it lengthwise to about 2", then to do a triangle fold-over to the end. I end up with a 2X2" piece. I have included several these in my pack….for the purpose of picking up this type of trash. In all likelihood, the culprits won't be in this forum, but it's hard for me to pass trash and not pick it up as best I can.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Composting is a great solution but then please consider a place like San Anton which is only open from May to September. The hospitaleros only work there for one or two weeks so how would one maintain a consistent program. We have planted some herbs there but the climate in the courtyard is so awful for most of the day and the limited water resources leave us water our plants with several litres of water in the morning and late in the afternoon.

Hello,

For, me, the amount of trash was a shock to see. I would ask myself, "Did that person really throw that protein bar wrapper on the path to reduce weight in the pack?" Or the bicycle flat tire left by the way. Really? That kind of behavior is not my style of thoughtfulness (meaning, I'm sure the litterers are being thoughtful in their own fashion.)

But a weird upside that made me laugh a bit at how critical I had
been--after finishing my trip to Santiago, I was ahead of schedule and decided to walk back from Valenca to Porto. The Blue way markers are not as easily seen as the yellow, nor are they as plentiful. Long story short--A couple of times, I missed a marker and, you know, eventually started wondering if I had missed a marker. The conclusive answer always hit me when I remembered to look for trash. If I saw no trash on the trail, I knew I had missed a marker. This high tech Camino strategy Never failed me and saved myself extra km's.

But if I had my choice--trash or no trash, I'd rather be lost and walk extra kms.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There once was a saying "He without sin cast the first stone", instead of getting upset and being negative how about positive thoughts yes there is pollution on the Camino but pollution also comes in all forms I think bad vibes, ie which walker had bad thoughts when a bike went wizzing by or when you saw the increase in crowds doing the last 100k, we should put ourselves in their shoes or bike seat I think St James would like us all to get on.

In a perfect world we can all get along, but you can't hear those bikes until they are right on top of you and they really do hack me off when they don't ring their bells or if they don't have one, shout out. So yeah, I will have bad thoughts on and off throughout the Camino, because I'm human and there are a lot of idiots out there. But I'm ok with that. And please don't bring Saints into this, the guy slaughtered Moors, so who are you kidding, and they didn't even have bicycles!

In a perfect world we can all get along, but you can't hear those bikes until they are right on top of you and they really do hack me off when they don't ring their bells or if they don't have one, shout out. So yeah, I will have bad thoughts on and off throughout the Camino, because I'm human and there are a lot of idiots out there. But I'm ok with that. And please don't bring Saints into this, the guy slaughtered Moors, so who are you kidding, and they didn't even have bicycles!
I agree with all except that St. James killed the Moors it was a legend the guy was well and truly dead, like you said there are a lot of idiots out there like myself so one reason I walk the Camino is to learn patience and when I walk it again I will try even harder to put up with others short comings and try not to have so many myself.

having just finished my first Camino (primitivo) I must admit I was shocked at the litter and it mostly seemed to be Spanish people (I watched them do it) - It got an awful lot worse when the Frances joined the primitivo but I had sort of expected that but not on the primitivo - this is the sort of thing I'm talking about.... is it really too muchbto pick up after yourself??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back