• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What is your favorite (affordable) restaurant on the Camino Frances?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Depends on your definition of "affordable". Bar O Pedrouzo made a killer steak for around 40€ (for 2, so 20 each, drinks and sides included). Bar Soriano in Logrono makes great champinion pinchos for like 2€ each, pair with a glass of rioja for like 1,5€. Meson a Esquipa in A Salceda has really affordable churasco for like 11€. Jamon Jamon in Leon gives extremely generous free tapas with their rather cheap drinks...

you looking for something in particular? i could name some more...

Ones that no longer exist :-(

I do very much like several places on the Francès, still extant or not, but my favourite Camino meals have all been elsewhere.

Having said that, La Morena in Ledigos is excellent !!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
What was your favorite (affordable in your opinion) restaurant on the Camino Frances?
albergue la morena, ledigos (i.e. a stage before sahagun) has exceptional food; they have a proper restaurant with lunch menu (E22.90) that attracts many locals - yesterday i was only pilgrim; their evening meal just for pilgrims (E13.5) also good - have had several good experiences there; maybe best allround quality-value-for-money along all of CF

Attachments

• 5FAD47DE-86CD-4083-AD4E-30718C2943E9.jpeg
    5FAD47DE-86CD-4083-AD4E-30718C2943E9.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 69
albergue la morena, ledigos (i.e. a stage before sahagun) has exceptional food; they have a proper restaurant with lunch menu (E22.90) that attracts many locals - yesterday i was only pilgrim; their evening meal just for pilgrims (E13.5) also good - have had several good experiences there; maybe best allround quality-value-for-money along all of CF
I'm not sure I'd say "best" -- but on my last very lengthy Camino, I ate and slept there both on the way there, and on the way back.

It is anyway solid and reliable, and the place has possibly the best good food / good lodging ratio of the Francès. There's another good place a bit further along the Way, but you sleep better at La Morena.

My single own best experience with a meal on the Francès was on arrival in Santiago in 2005 ; penniless ; having walked from home.

I went to the Parador to try for the pilgrims' supper, found nobody in the queue, but the gentleman in the garage gave me a ticket anyway.

Then I found I was the 11th pilgrim among 10.

The food was what it was, the wine was terrible, I had to sit on the window sill because the 10 had the 10 chairs, and some of them were outraged by my appearance -- but my !! What a humbling and beautiful meal !!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Not sure about affordability, but I have very fond memories of the Meson just past the historic Ribadiso albergue. Outstanding pulpo and Padron peppers.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Depends on your definition of "affordable". Bar O Pedrouzo made a killer steak for around 40€ (for 2, so 20 each, drinks and sides included). Bar Soriano in Logrono makes great champinion pinchos for like 2€ each, pair with a glass of rioja for like 1,5€. Meson a Esquipa in A Salceda has really affordable churasco for like 11€. Jamon Jamon in Leon gives extremely generous free tapas with their rather cheap drinks...

I agree with Bar O Pedrouzo.
LOVE that place!

€60,-
When I did CdF in 2018 I met a guy in Roncevalles and we walked together the following day, stopping for the day at some random town halfway to Pamplona. There was only one algergue in that village and no place to eat. We were starving and asked the owner where we could get food. He said the only thing close was a bar 2km up the road, so off we went.

We found the place ( El Molina de Urdaniz ) and it was basically just a small building and a parking lot along the highway. It was full, so we just ordered tapas at the bar. The food was incredible! I couldn't believe this place in the middle of nowhere had such good cuisine. I think we paid maybe 20-25EUR each---not pilgrim cheap, but not super expensive. Anyway, as we were leaving I saw a 2-star Michelin plaque at the entrance. Sometimes a blind squirrel finds a nut...

That was my favorite restaurant in terms of quality, and no doubt the serendipity of it all made it more memorable, though it may be on the wrong side of "affordable" depending on current pricing.

Alex, at one time, they took only a liimited number of pilgrims and had one serving per night.
Is that still the case?
And I agree... great place!
Not that I have noticed in recent years. It appears they don't make a difference pilgrims vs. "normal" folks. :)

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Rock & Roll Pizza, La Portella, Vega de Valcarce. Best pizza and salad dinner, and fresh churro breakfast in Spain. Nice albergue, great hosts. Buen Camino

The Restaurant Gaudi in Astorga had a very reasonably priced Pilgrims Menu which was very tasty (this was in 2008 though so not sure about now).
Casa Manolo in Santiago had a reasonable and tasty menu.
The tapas bars in Logrono are really great--centered around Calle Laurel. I had a friend who had lived in Logrono and recommended I should try to arrive at tapas time (either pre-lunch hours or pre-dinner hours). It was really great--I went just before lunch time but then had to walk several more kilometers that day which wasn't so fun but I'd definitely do it again.

And Parillada Xacobea in Triacastela.
Yes to this! Great quality, variety and value. I think it's also called Complexo Xacobeo (menu).

The Restaurant Gaudi in Astorga had a very reasonably priced Pilgrims Menu which was very tasty (this was in 2008 though so not sure about now).
Another big thumbs up. Same experience (lunch) in 2022.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
What was your favorite (affordable in your opinion) restaurant on the Camino Frances?

Hard to choose, there were so many!
Rather like Joost, I tend to eat my way across Spain :oops:

1. Roncesvalles the Menu del Dia at La Posada.
  2. Burgos, the slow roast lamb at Hotel Azofra. (movie location opposite)
  3. Castrojerez, restaurante Casa Cordón
  4. Carrion de los Condes, Monasterio De San Zoilo
  5. Vega de Valcarce, Las Rocas Pilgrim Menu
  6. O Cebreiro, Casa O Cebreiro (main dining room behind shop)

For a non Frances route one, and to add some balance, I have to add.

7. Fuenterroble de Salvatierra (VdlP), Albergue Parroquial Santa María, communal meal. It was really good!

Hard to define affordable of course!

#7 was a Donativo.
#2 was probably 60 euros for 2 of us.
#5 was a Pilgrim Menu, maybe 14 euros?
#4 was probbaly 80 euros plus for 2 of us..

Please DO name a few more.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
the Agora - a downtown cafe close to the camino in ponferrada - great vegan and vegetarian options all fresh ingrediants plus home baked bread and bakery atrached! no frills -just great made-to-order food! (menu below)

and elly's world kitchen in Trabadelo -but a bit more expensive! she has a garden across the street that she goes and picks the food from for dinner that night. Incredible made to order creations! (photo of elly's exterior)

Attachments

• IMG_5933.jpeg
    IMG_5933.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5934.jpeg
    IMG_5934.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back