• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lodging help needed! O'Cebreiro and Triacastela

VickiLinn

Time of past OR future Camino
Feb-March (2015)
My husband and I be doing our walk at the end of February 2015. We have reservations at hotels or private residences in all of our planned stops with the exception of O'Cebreiro and Triacastela. I have had absolutely no luck getting a response back from the few places that have email addresses. Looking for help, guidance, suggestions from forum members. I know we are walking during off season and I have encountered a few closures but for the most part, have found great accommodations. I am not much of a "well lets just get into town and see what happens kinda gal" especially with it being winter. We are not packing sleeping bags so most of the traditional albergues won't be an option for us in these two towns. Any recommendations, contacts, suggestions?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Others in Triacastela:
Hostal Vilasante: Avda. Camilo José Cela, 7 | Céntrico | 12 hab. | 30 € ind. / 40 € dob. | Reserva: 982-54-81-16
Pensión Xacobeo: C. Leoncio Cadorniga, 12 | Céntrico | 6 hab. | 35 € ind. / 40 € dob. / 55 € trip. | Reserva: 982-54-80-37
Pensión Fernández: Pl. da Iglesia, 3 | Céntrico | 4 hab. | Reserva: 982-54-81-48
Casa Olga: C. do Castro, 2 | A 50 m. del casco urbano | Reserva: 982-54-81-34

In O Cebreiro

Casa Rural Venta Celta: C. Cebreiro, 19 | 5 hab. | 40 € dob. | Reserva: 667-55-30-06
Casa Rural Valiña: O Cebreiro, s/n | 5 hab. | 40 € ind. / 50 € dob. | Reserva: 982-36-71-25
Hotel O Cebreiro: A lado de la iglesia | 5 hab. | 40 € ind. / 50 € dob. | Reserva: 982-36-71-82
Hospedería San Giraldo de Aurillac: O Cebreiro, s/n | 6 hab. | 45 € ind. / 60 € dob. | Reserva: 982-36-71-82 (mismo que hotel O Cebreiro)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In O'Cebreiro I stayed at Casa Carolo. They will take your name down, but you HAVE TO call the day before (+34 98 236 7168) and confirm. Nothing special about the place, but of course the setting, O'Cebreiro, is breathtaking, specially when the hordes of tourists leave for the night before the dense fog sets in.

At Triacastela I stayed at Casa Olga (25 Euros). The place was spotless and comfortable , but it is a bit uphill from town, the owner was not particularly hospitable and there are no places to eat nearby.

If you need any recommendations for private lodging (including private albergues), please let me know. For example, in Villafranca del Bierzo the hostel "la Puerta del Perdon" is fantastic. The owners walk the winter Camino every year. Their son was ahead of me in O'Cebreiro. Wonderful hosts, they love Camino talk! I had dinner with a group of cyclists staying at this place. BTW, staying at private lodging will NOT prevent you whatsoever to share in camaraderie with other pilgrims, that is a local "urban myth"! ;)

BTW, as you leave Triacastela you can either go left towards Samos or right towards San Xil. I saw the crowds leaving towards San Xil, but I was determined to get to Samos. So glad I did. The START going towards Samos is along the road, but it does not take long to get back on country trail along streams and beautiful forrested areas. Then, all of the sudden the Monastery in Samos appeared down on a valley area as a sight from heaven :) I took a half-hour tour in Samos (in Spanish). There is also a small store where I got some beautiful Christmas ornaments. I was talking to the Tour Guide afterwards and mentioned how many people opt to take the other route and missed seeing such an amazing place. She winked her eye and said- "That is absolutely fine with us; we rather not have the crowds"-.

Last edited:
leave Triacastela you can either go right towards Samos or left towards San Xil
I think that is backwards. You go to the right for San Xil, and left for Samos. San Xil is much shorter to Sarria, but the monastery in Samos is one of those cultural jewels. If you take the time to tour the monastery, there really is not enough time to continue on to Sarria. Tours in Spanish are regularly scheduled, but they do not post the schedule on the internt.

El Horario de visitas al Monasterio es el siguiente:
De Lunes a Sábado: De 10.00 a 12.30h y de 16.30 a 18.30h.
Domingos y Festivos: De 12.45 a 13.30h y de 16.30 a 18.30h.

At Triacastela I stayed at Casa Olga (25 Euros). The place was spotless and comfortable , but it is a bit uphill from town, the owner was not particularly hospitable and there are no places to eat nearby.
me too I stayed in Casa Olga this sept (40euro for double)...it's right that you say Olivares...not hospitable and for everything need to go in town (drink water, something eat, etc...) that was not so closer when someone is tired and feet don't want more!!!! ;-)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My husband and I be doing our walk at the end of February 2015. We have reservations at hotels or private residences in all of our planned stops with the exception of O'Cebreiro and Triacastela. I have had absolutely no luck getting a response back from the few places that have email addresses. Looking for help, guidance, suggestions from forum members. I know we are walking during off season and I have encountered a few closures but for the most part, have found great accommodations. I am not much of a "well lets just get into town and see what happens kinda gal" especially with it being winter. We are not packing sleeping bags so most of the traditional albergues won't be an option for us in these two towns. Any recommendations, contacts, suggestions?
I did not stay in O'Cebreiro. Atizenea in Triacastela was great. It is an old stone house. Lovely people. Check Brierley's for the number.

My husband and I be doing our walk at the end of February 2015. We have reservations at hotels or private residences in all of our planned stops with the exception of O Cebreiro and Triacastela. I have had absolutely no luck getting a response back from the few places that have email addresses. Looking for help, guidance, suggestions from forum members. I know we are walking during off season and I have encountered a few closures but for the most part, have found great accommodations. I am not much of a "well lets just get into town and see what happens kinda gal" especially with it being winter. We are not packing sleeping bags so most of the traditional albergues won't be an option for us in these two towns. Any recommendations, contacts, suggestions?

Hi, VickLinn, welcome to the forum! A February camino will be quite an adventure -- glad you are having good luck in finding places to stay.

If you find that you can't get email responses, and if you don't speak Spanish, let me know and I'm happy to call Spain for you. I have a very cheap calling card that gives me a rate of about 3 cents a minute to Spain (which, ironically, is cheaper than the rate I pay to call Spain from within Spain!). It's not a problem at all, just let me know. Buen camino, Laurie

The best laid plans of men and mice...nice work but be prepared for surprises.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

I found this place by accident and loved it. It has double rooms: http://www.palomaylena.com/

Good luck in your search!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi, VickLinn, welcome to the forum! A February camino will be quite an adventure -- glad you are having good luck in finding places to stay.

If you find that you can't get email responses, and if you don't speak Spanish, let me know and I'm happy to call Spain for you. I have a very cheap calling card that gives me a rate of about 3 cents a minute to Spain (which, ironically, is cheaper than the rate I pay to call Spain from within Spain!). It's not a problem at all, just let me know. Buen camino, Laurie

I too am having a time finding a hotel accommodation in O'Cebreiro and hearing so much chatter about rude people...hmmmm. I arrive there on 10 May and I'm also beginning to realize all the hotels I've booked may, or may not, have my room when I arrive. I guess I'm in for quite an experience traveling alone and speaking very very little Spanish. Guess I'll be using that translation app. :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back