• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looking for a GPX editing app for iPhone

islandwalker

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés and routes in Andalucia
I'm looking for an app that I can put on my iPhone to edit gpx tracks while I am in Spain. I specifically need an app that will preserve waypoints in the track I am editing.

I plan to record my track on Wikiloc as I am walking, and will be adding photos and waypoints as I go. At the end of the day, I want to be able to edit out squiggly lines where I went off track to take a photo or went into a shop to buy some yogurt. I have a track editor that I like very much that I use on my iMac at home, but it does not have an iPhone version. I bought and downloaded GPX File Editor (see icon below) today, but found that when I import my Wikiloc track to edit it, the waypoints have not transferred (although I checked the box on the Wikiloc page to include them in the download).

Does anyone know of an iPhone compatible gpx track editor that will preserve waypoints?

Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 6.00.42 PM.png This is the one that doesn't import waypoints.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@islandwalker, a text editor is the app to use if you can't find a good GPS editing app (I've never sought out one of these so I'm no help there).

Before editing the file with the GPS editor save the waypoints into a separate file using the text editor. I'm not guaranteeing this but I think all of them will be at the top of the gpx file before the tracks section. After the GPS editor has modified the gpx file text edit it to restore the waypoints.

It's inconvenient but will work.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I use the Gaia app (and website) for tracking routes, creating/editing routes, etc… Easy to import and export gpx files. A number of different map layers are available which has made this a great tool for planning backpacking and off road over landing adventures at home in the US. Downloaded gpx files for the walking the Camino Invierno last year and for a hopeful walk on the Norte this year. 69E1B175-6D7C-49D0-B414-02279F310CB0.jpeg

After the GPS editor has modified the gpx file text edit it to restore the waypoints.
Aw, come on, it's kind of fun to have wikiloc beep at you to tell you you're off Camino, only to realize that the person who recorded the track must have gone behind the tree up on the hill to the left to pee and you can just keep on going!
I use the Gaia app (and website) for tracking routes, creating/editing routes, etc…
Many thanks to all three of you for the info and the laugh. I also love Gaia and use it extensively, but as far as I can tell, it will only snip a track from the two ends. You can't edit out wanderings in the middle. Last night, I found a web-based editor that I think will work for me (GPX Studio) but am still very interested in finding an iPhone app that will take out the squiggles in the middle of a track while preserving the waypoints I added as I was walking.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Last night, I found a web-based editor that I think will work for me
I've used the online editor gpsvisualizer.com but it has been awhile so I can't be completely sure it will do the removal of wiggles easily. It will keep waypoints. Try it if the GPX Studio doesn't work out. It has several features like doing profiles but the entry point you want is, I think, gpsvisualizer.com/draw

I'm looking for an app that I can put on my iPhone to edit gpx tracks while I am in Spain. I specifically need an app that will preserve waypoints in the track I am editing.

I plan to record my track on Wikiloc as I am walking, and will be adding photos and waypoints as I go. At the end of the day, I want to be able to edit out squiggly lines where I went off track to take a photo or went into a shop to buy some yogurt. I have a track editor that I like very much that I use on my iMac at home, but it does not have an iPhone version. I bought and downloaded GPX File Editor (see icon below) today, but found that when I import my Wikiloc track to edit it, the waypoints have not transferred (although I checked the box on the Wikiloc page to include them in the download).

Does anyone know of an iPhone compatible gpx track editor that will preserve waypoints?

View attachment 140666 This is the one that doesn't import waypoints.
I have done a lot of .gpx file editing in recent years [hundreds and hundreds of files] ... I will get back to you with some helpful info when I have access to my computer 😅

View attachment 140666 This is the one that doesn't import waypoints.
Apologies islandwalker ... that took me a bit longer than I had anticipated ... I use <https://www.visugpx.com> to edit my .gpx trails ... is not an app but a website ... I have taught myself how to use it and it works very well for me 😅 And also I’ve used it on my iPhone.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Apologies islandwalker ... that took me a bit longer than I had anticipated ... I use <https://www.visugpx.com> to edit my .gpx trails ... is not an app but a website ... I have taught myself how to use it and it works very well for me 😅 And also I’ve used it on my iPhone.
Thanks so much. I'll try it out right away. It's good to know that you've used it on your phone.

Just a thought, a bit off centre @islandwalker, but I use the Find Penguins app and have it on all the time and it records my track and the photos I take along the way. To record your gps you just have to set it up that way. To remove the squiggles, take lots of photos and it will plot from photo to photo.

The Android version of OsmAnd can edit tracks. I'm VERY new to this (just an hour into it) so I'll tell you how to get into the editor but not how to use it. I don't know yet if it preserves waypoints.

Get your track showing on the screen.
Click on a point on the track.
That brings up a bottom window with track info.
Select Open Track.

Things start getting complicated at this point but simplified I'm presenting two ways to edit without many ifs, ands or buts.

Chose the pencil icon to edit.
You get another window on the bottom.
Choose Points.
Now, SOMEHOW, you get to add and remove points. You're on your own here.

Another way to edit is easier; do NOT select the pencil icon but click on Options instead.
A large window comes up with a menu.
(Note the pencil icon again but ignore it.)
Select GPS Filter to do some semiautomatic smoothing.
A new window appears on the bottom and your track is on top.
Zoom in on the top to that place where you wandered around looking for the place you wanted to take that short break.
In the bottom window select FILTER and then Smoothing.
Above that you will see Points which tells you how many trackpoints you have in the edited version of the track and how many in the original version.
Use the slider to select a distance and pause to see the number of points change and the track in the top window change also. You can keep using the slider until you're happy.
This smoothing works with all points in the track so you will see the track distance shortening if you move over to the STATISTICS area.
Scroll to the bottom of the bottom window to see your saving options.

Once again, I don't know about waypoints being saved but my guess is they will be. I've spent more time typing here than testing so I don't have any other directions, pointers or tips right now.

Peg is getting after me right now to take our daily walk so I'll leave now. When we are done I'm going to walk home by myself and create some crazy test tracks with waypoints to do testing with.

Good luck.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks, Rick. I'll try it out. The crucial part is whether it is usable on the iPhone. Anything that requires double clicks on the computer stumps me on the iPhone because I can't double click. I've tried a long hold as a replacement for a double click (I've read that sometimes works) on the phone, but it sends a different command in the program where I've tried it. <https://www.visugpx.com> that BlackRocker57 recommended above works really well on the computer for individual points.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What did you do to get the waymarks to show up in your track?
Nothing. I did record the track and waypoints with OsmAnd. I wasn't pleased with the look of the waypoint icons while recording but I didn't attempt to change them. Since you asked I looked at the gpx file with the tracks and waypoints and didn't see anything special about the waypoints. OsmAnd did indicate for each waypoint what the icon should look like and that was what it looked liked before I saved the recording as a gpx file.

Good news. With the Android version of the OsmAnd app I was able to edit my track in my original gpx file by both methods (editing points and smoothing) and saving the results to another gpx file. I opened each of the two new files with both OsmAnd and Wikiloc. All the opened tracks showed my edits to the tracks and also the (unedited) waypoints.

Not so good news. Both the editing and saving were not intuitive. I'll play around some more to search for simplification.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for asking! In the interest of enjoying the camino and not being frustrated every afternoon by what my phone won't do, I've decided to put up the wikiloc tracks each day as is, and wait to edit them on the computer when I get home. It'll make the walking days much more enjoyable, with plenty of time to explore the town. Thanks to everyone for all your help and advice.

Thanks for asking! In the interest of enjoying the camino and not being frustrated every afternoon by what my phone won't do, I've decided to put up the wikiloc tracks each day as is, and wait to edit them on the computer when I get home. It'll make the walking days much more enjoyable, with plenty of time to explore the town. Thanks to everyone for all your help and advice.
good move! I think you will find that less frustrating than trying to edit on the small screen 😅

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I should add that I thoroughly enjoyed looking at the wonderful possibilities that were suggested and I learned a LOT about tracks and how they can be modified. Your efforts did not go to waste, as I spent many an afternoon trying out every suggestion. I think of it as an intriguing rabbit hole that I fell into. It is so satisfying to understand more about the intricacies of how to edit tracks and make them clean and useful for the next user. So a million thanks to all of you who furthered my investigations into this new realm! 😍

I should add that I thoroughly enjoyed looking at the wonderful possibilities that were suggested and I learned a LOT about tracks and how they can be modified. Your efforts did not go to waste, as I spent many an afternoon trying out every suggestion. I think of it as an intriguing rabbit hole that I fell into. It is so satisfying to understand more about the intricacies of how to edit tracks and make them clean and useful for the next user. So a million thanks to all of you who furthered my investigations into this new realm! 😍
that’s a good way to put it ... an intriguing rabbit hole ... I fell in there [esp. the iPhiGéNie one] a while ago ... and still falling and scrambling around in the dark sometimes 😅

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.