• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

App for tracking mileage/sharing photos?

Tsongz60

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Portugues - Oct 2023
Anyone have suggestions for an app to use on the Camino to track daily mileage, and also to post and share photos? I have used Strava in the past when cycling, but I’m not sure that would be appropriate for walking the Camino. I have seen a few users who have used Polarsteps, which looks interesting. I have an iPhone and Apple Watch . I’d love to hear thoughts and suggestions!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I used Polarsteps, which worked quite well. Easy to use, low-enough battery cost.
The mileage on it is not perfect - it tracks your location every 15 or 30 minutes and then draws a straight line between those locations. But unless you're a very fast walker it should be a close approximation.

Findpenguins is almost identical to Polarsteps in function. The app is prettier than Polarsteps' and is a bit more pushy on getting you to purchase, but that's the only real difference.
I think the more important criterion is which of the two your friends and family are willing to use, if that's is something you want.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Anyone have suggestions for an app to use on the Camino to track daily mileage, and also to post and share photos? I have used Strava in the past when cycling, but I’m not sure that would be appropriate for walking the Camino. I have seen a few users who have used Polarsteps, which looks interesting. I have an iPhone and Apple Watch . I’d love to hear thoughts and suggestions!
I was going to Strava it - what is the reason you think it might not be appropriate? Would be also interested of anyone else's experience. I guess it's not a traditional hiking app (although it does have hike option) and its probably more familiar with the lycra crowd, but in my naivety I don't see why it wouldn't work? It also links in to my Just Giving page which is handy.

I love Relive. You can use it offline and once you get WiFi it will download your walk and add the photos and make a video of the route.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I've been using ' Far Out' it's a pretty good app with GPS to show you the route as well as record your own . I've been walking the north route since sep 6th from Irun. Loving it. Buen Camino 👍🏼

Try Outdoor Active. You need to start a track but it is pretty accurate and allows photos to be saved onto your route. Good maps too.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Find Penguins is great for blogging and sharing your thoughts and pictures with friends and family, but it doesn't track your daily distance like Strava does. I think that you will need two apps to accomplish what you want.

If you use Relive you can incorporate the videos that it creates in the blog posts on Find Penguins - you may need to pay for the upgraded version of Find Penguins if the videos are too long though.

Aviles in The Norte route.

Attachments

• PXL_20230920_133451495.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
    PXL_20230920_133451495.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20230920_132958765.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
    PXL_20230920_132958765.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20230920_132917931.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20230920_132917931.PORTRAIT.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20230920_133511026.jpg
    PXL_20230920_133511026.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 16
FYI, Here is my Find Penguins Blog with lots of photos that I used to create a personal book to relive the trip and share with my family.
John, did you use Find Penguins after you walked to document your Camino or did you need to do that while walking? That might be a great way to share.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
John, did you use Find Penguins after you walked to document your Camino or did you need to do that while walking? That might be a great way to share.
I'm not John, but I've used Find Penguins on all my Camino's since 2016. I use it while I'm on the Camino to share my journey with my friends and family.

A little tip - before you write your entry go through the photos from that day and mark your "favorites." It makes it easier when you choose the pictures for the blog. I have a Samsung phone, and in the gallery there's s heart symbol that you can tap which puts the pictures in your "favorites" gallery. I don't know how other phones work, but I would imagine that they are similar.

I actually used it while I was walking. You can have it automatically place the dots on the map based on the data it captures, by the location captured by one of the photos you select for that “footprint”, or manually set the location. After I returned home I tweaked the data, text and photos before having the software create a coffee table book for me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 20
I was going to Strava it - what is the reason you think it might not be appropriate? Would be also interested of anyone else's experience. I guess it's not a traditional hiking app (although it does have hike option) and its probably more familiar with the lycra crowd, but in my naivety I don't see why it wouldn't work? It also links in to my Just Giving page which is handy.
With Strava, you have to run the app to track your activity, which depletes battery on the phone. My understanding is that other apps, like polar steps, do not have to be running in the background in order to track your activity. I could be wrong about that, as I am just researching now.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
FYI, Here is my Find Penguins Blog with lots of photos that I used to create a personal book to relive the trip and share with my family.
John - this is a great blog. Did you really use it to "create a book"? If so, which app did you use to create the book? I tried to use a facebook Private Group, but couldn't get it to work.

Thanks, all for some great suggestions! I’m glad I asked the question because you have all provided some great options. Heading out now to Porto!!! IMG_8005.jpeg

John - thank you for sharing your memories of your Camino Frances. We will do our first in April 2024. You have made me very excited to start what I think will be just the first of many Camino journeys.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
John - this is a great blog. Did you really use it to "create a book"? If so, which app did you use to create the book? I tried to use a facebook Private Group, but couldn't get it to work.
Find Penguins actually creates the book.

I’ll have to look at the apps mentioned here. I’ver been pleased with “GPS Tracker” in iPhone, but I’ve had to add the photos afterward though a process that is a little bit geeky.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.