• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lourdes to Pamplona

coldweather

Greetings!

I plan to start walking the Camino in May 2012. I first will visit Lourdes.

I am trying to figure out how to get from Lourdes to Pamplona. I have decided that I do not want to cross the Pyrenees and I prefer to start in Pamplona.

How best to get from France to Pamplona?

Due to the train routing around the mountains the train takes 20-24 hours. I have also heard to take the train to SJPDP and take a taxi TO Pamplona. I have heard due to the financial climate in Spain their are issues with Taxi's crossing between France and Spain.

Does anyone know of a bus? I don't need to cross the border at SJPDP. I am stuggling to find transporation from France to Pamplona.

I thank you in advance for any suggestions and information.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There are a number of daily trains from Lourdes to Bayonne France.

You have a number of different options, none particular good. Probably the best option is is taking a train from Bayonne to Irun and then bus to Pamplona via Vitoria.

http://gospain.about.com/od/pamplonabul ... mplona.htm

Either way it is long trip

Sorry I don't know specific times, but I am sure you must be able to get there within a day. If you get on a fairly straight-through train that is going through Lourdes via Bayonne or Dax to Hendaye-Irun, that is only about a 2 and a 1/2 hour trip.

Last year I wanted to get from Moissac, in the south of France, to Pamplona, and I did it within a day- with four trains. I went from Moissac to Toulouse to Bordeaux to Hendaye-Irun, then Pamplona. When I finished in Santiago last year I caught a bus that finished in Irun, then caught the little train that takes you across the border to Hendaye, then got back to Moissac via my three trains in reverse.

Basically, if you aim to get from Lourdes to Bayonne, you can get a train to Hendaye, then it's easy enough to get to Irun. I am not sure of timetables from Irun to Pamplona, but I was able to get a train that left Irun mid-afternoon or so, and I got into Pamplona about 5.30pm from memory. (The train was continuing onto Barcelona I think.) Buses leave from right next door to the train station in Irun.
Margaret

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
There is a train from Lourdes to Barcelona through Paris with a station change at 1435 each day. From there you take a bus or train to Pamplona. Take a book; it is a long, scenic trip.

There are two trains a day from Lourdes to Irun connecting through Dax. Then there are buses to Pamplona from Hendaye.

SNCF does not automatically generate the eastern route from Lourdes, but you can take a train from Lourdes to Perpignan, then the daily train at 1216 to Pamplona. The first two trains each day from Lourdes will connect with the departure from Perpignan, but the second train gives you only eight minutes to switch trains. The total fare is about 140E.

coldweather,

Here is a way to go from Lourdes to Pamplona (Iruna) in less than 12 hours via SNCF train, Topo train and bus.

There is a direct SNCF train from Lourdes to Hendaye (French /Spanish border). No 14143 it leaves Lourdes at 12:23 arriving Hendaye 14:57. For other SNCF trains see >> http://www.voyages-sncf.com/

I have adapted a posting by Forum member Navarricano for the following train and bus information. Hendaye is a small station. Outside and to the right is the Topo/Euskotren track which goes to San Sebastian, Spain in roughly 30 minutes. Here is the timetable>> http://www.euskotren.es/sites/www2.euskotren.es/files/@48x68 HORARIOS Y FRECUENCIAS MD_ENE2013.pdf

From the train station it's a short walk to the bus station. Take the La Roncalesa bus operated by La Conda to Pamplona (Iruna) Here is the schedule >> http://www.movelia.es/transicion_conda/venta.htm#

Bon chemin and Buen Camino,

Margaret Merdith

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi
There is also another route worth investigating.
From Lourdes you can easily get by rail to Pau and Oloran St Marie.
From there a few buses a day to Canfranc in Spain ( run by French Rail).
A few trains run to Jaca and buses on to Pamplona. To be honest is also about how the connections line up .
By the way there is an excellent Gite in Oloran, booking required. I may add there is a pilgrim albergue in Jaca.
Its a very scenic route and Jaca is an excellent overnight stop.
Buen Camino
Justin

Most read last week in this forum

Hi guys, I need help because I don’t know where else to turn. I arranged luggage transport from Paris to Santiago with casa Ivar. They gave me an invoice, shipping label, everything. I left it at...
For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
Flying to MAD from the US. After I clear customs, can I remain airside to get to my connecting flight to SdC or do I have to exit to groundside and go back through security in the Domestic...
Hello from NY! I am booking some accommodations with booking.com and an offer on their site for a free airport shuttle just came up so I booked it. This is the below confirmation. I am entirely...
I am trying to book a train from Santiago to Madrid on 7 May and find that all trains are full and also for about the preceding 3 or 4 days. If I go directly to the train station when I arrive...
There has been some discussion about getting one way tickets to have more flexibility. Unfortunately I had to cut my Camino short because I was getting shin splints. Because I had a flexible...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back