• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trying to include Lourdes

Jackie305

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Primitivo
Hi, I am planning on doing my second camino in September, 2024. I have approximately 12-14 days set aside to plan this trip. I will be flying from the USA and returning from Santiago de Compostela. I walked from lugo in 2022, the last 100 km of the Camino primitivo.

I am trying to see if it is feasible to visit Lourdes, for 1-2 days, and then do another 100 km Camino. I am having difficulty figuring out the logistics. If I am able to do this, after Lourdes, where would I start from? I was thinking about starting in Sarria, although I feel I did a portion of this Camino already. I was looking at Tui, but it seems very far from Lourdes.

I am open to suggestions, opinions and ideas to see if this is even possible. If not, I will possibly consider Tui, with a visit to Fatima instead.

Thank you !

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It is a long way from Lourdes, France to anywhere 100kms from SdC. Have you considered walking TO Lourdes as a pilgrimage? It’s extremely moving as a Catholic, but we met other non-religious walkers who found the route worthwhile. Given your timeframe, you can actually walk there from SJPdP, though don’t expect the type of support you find during the last 100kms to SdC. Look up the Piemonte route in France for more information.

If you are set on Lourdes, then SdC, though, there are several recent threads on how to get to Lourdes, it will cost a bit and add a day or two in transport each way. If money is no object, there are airports near both SdC and Lourdes, though no direct flights.

It is a long way from Lourdes, France to anywhere 100kms from SdC. Have you considered walking TO Lourdes as a pilgrimage?
That's an interesting idea -- though in that direction, I might suggest walking from Canfranc. Including for the better support infrastructure than SJPP to Oloron.

That would be about 150K via Oloron-Sainte-Marie -- if that were too short for ~12 days hiking plus some time in Lourdes, start from Jaca instead maybe ?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have approximately 12-14 days set aside to plan this trip.
I assume you mean 12 -14 days to actually do the trip. One suggestion is to simply start from Lourdes and walk either to SJPdP or to Somport and beyond, depending on time. Wherever you get to will have some kind of transport connection to Santiago. Both routes are waymarked although the former is more popular. If you plan to walk a section of the Francés or any other camino in Spain, then getting to Lourdes and back will use up a lot of your time.

Fly to Toulouse, train to Lourdes, then walk to Saint Marie de Oloron, then south to Somport and continue on the C Aragonese. Or skip the walking from Lourdes to Somport and start walking from there on the C Aragonese. Both are beautiful walks.

Fly to Toulouse, train to Lourdes, then walk to Saint Marie de Oloron, then south to Somport and continue on the C Aragonese. Or skip the walking from Lourdes to Somport and start walking from there on the C Aragonese. Both are beautiful walks.
I suggest flying to Toulouse, train to Lourdes, stay at least one night (since the procession is unforgettably moving, then on to Olaron, then walk to Jaca, and if time permits, complete the Aragones. The walk from Lourdes is all rural. Lovely as a hike, otherwise quiet with no notable villages.

I think most if not all of us would agree that if you want to start in Lourdes, Santiago is not in the cards for a two week trip.
Hi, I am planning on doing my second camino in September, 2024. I have approximately 12-14 days set aside to plan this trip. I will be flying from the USA and returning from Santiago de Compostela. I walked from lugo in 2022, the last 100 km of the Camino primitivo.

I am trying to see if it is feasible to visit Lourdes, for 1-2 days, and then do another 100 km Camino. I am having difficulty figuring out the logistics. If I am able to do this, after Lourdes, where would I start from? I was thinking about starting in Sarria, although I feel I did a portion of this Camino already. I was looking at Tui, but it seems very far from Lourdes.

I am open to suggestions, opinions and ideas to see if this is even possible. If not, I will possibly consider Tui, with a visit to Fatima instead.

Thank you !
I must assume that your departure in Santiago is fixed. If so, Lourdes is indeed an addition that requires much more time than I believe you have. There have been times I have tried to squeeze in places far apart in a camino; I abandoned those plans every time. Too complicated, relied on flying, often via a major city like Madrid.

If departure from Santiago is indeed fixed, then you have many options. I would recommend starting in Porto, walking the coastal, training from Baiona to Pontevedra, walking the Variante and then the central from Padron to Santiago. You can do this in 14 days. Or 12 if you skip the Variante.

If you don't have to finish in Santiago, fly to Toulouse, train to Lourdes, train to Oloran, walk the Aragones to Jaca, train to Pamplona and fly home.

Your limited time also limits your options. But 12-14 days is still more than many have. Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It is a long way from Lourdes, France to anywhere 100kms from SdC. Have you considered walking TO Lourdes as a pilgrimage? It’s extremely moving as a Catholic, but we met other non-religious walkers who found the route worthwhile. Given your timeframe, you can actually walk there from SJPdP, though don’t expect the type of support you find during the last 100kms to SdC. Look up the Piemonte route in France for more information.

If you are set on Lourdes, then SdC, though, there are several recent threads on how to get to Lourdes, it will cost a bit and add a day or two in transport each way. If money is no object, there are airports near both SdC and Lourdes, though no direct flights.
Thank you for your response. I am traveling with someone who would like to get a compostela certificate. Let me see what I do. Thanks again!

That's an interesting idea -- though in that direction, I might suggest walking from Canfranc. Including for the better support infrastructure than SJPP to Oloron.

That would be about 150K via Oloron-Sainte-Marie -- if that were too short for ~12 days hiking plus some time in Lourdes, start from Jaca instead maybe ?
Thank you, trying to finish in SdC.

I assume you mean 12 -14 days to actually do the trip. One suggestion is to simply start from Lourdes and walk either to SJPdP or to Somport and beyond, depending on time. Wherever you get to will have some kind of transport connection to Santiago. Both routes are waymarked although the former is more popular. If you plan to walk a section of the Francés or any other camino in Spain, then getting to Lourdes and back will use up a lot of your time.
I am starting to realize this my visit to Lourdes might not happen on this Camino. Thank you

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you for your response!

I suggest flying to Toulouse, train to Lourdes, stay at least one night (since the procession is unforgettably moving, then on to Olaron, then walk to Jaca, and if time permits, complete the Aragones. The walk from Lourdes is all rural. Lovely as a hike, otherwise quiet with no notable villages.

I think most if not all of us would agree that if you want to start in Lourdes, Santiago is not in the cards for a two week trip.

I must assume that your departure in Santiago is fixed. If so, Lourdes is indeed an addition that requires much more time than I believe you have. There have been times I have tried to squeeze in places far apart in a camino; I abandoned those plans every time. Too complicated, relied on flying, often via a major city like Madrid.

If departure from Santiago is indeed fixed, then you have many options. I would recommend starting in Porto, walking the coastal, training from Baiona to Pontevedra, walking the Variante and then the central from Padron to Santiago. You can do this in 14 days. Or 12 if you skip the Variante.

If you don't have to finish in Santiago, fly to Toulouse, train to Lourdes, train to Oloran, walk the Aragones to Jaca, train to Pamplona and fly home.

Your limited time also limits your options. But 12-14 days is still more than many have. Buen Camino!
Thank you Anthony, different options for sure. I’ll update this as I figure out what I end up doing.

Curious if anyone has ever had Lourdes as there walking pilgrimage destination. From what route can you walk into a Lourdes?
I’ve always loved walking into Santiago, Fatima, Assisi in previous pilgrimages I’ve done and Lourdes has also been on my list although I wasn’t sure if there is an easy walking path to get there ?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Lourdes has also been on my list although I wasn’t sure if there is an easy walking path to get there ?
More than one.

Oloron-Sainte-Marie to Lourdes is great, and there are two "official" ways to Oloron (from Canfranc/Somport and from SJPP), plus a Navarrenx > Oloron which is very pleasant.

The Piémont Way I wouldn't call easy, but there's a switch-down from the Arles Way from close to Maubourguet, with a possible variant via Tarbes, though you'd have to DIY your way to the hiking trail from Tarbes if you wanted to see the city.

There are a few longer North-South options through France, which wouldn't be difficult as they are well West of the Massif Central, all leading eventually to Maubourguet.

The most adventurous would be a Fátima > Lourdes which may one day be waymarked on the Portuguese section, leading to Guarda > Vilar Formoso > Ciudad Rodrigo > Salamanca where you could mostly follow the Camino Torres in "reverse" then > Tordesillas DIY > then various trails > Valladolid > properly Palencia though you could avoid it > Burgos (or variant Palencia > Frómista) > Francès to SJPP > Saint-Palais > Navarrenx > Oloron > Lourdes.

One other easier French route would be on the Arles Way variant route via Béziers > Carcassonne > Toulouse, then on to Maubourguet as above > Lourdes. There's a route more directly from Toulouse, but it leads to the Piémont Way.

More than one.

Oloron-Sainte-Marie to Lourdes is great, and there are two "official" ways to Oloron (from Canfranc/Somport and from SJPP), plus a Navarrenx > Oloron which is very pleasant.

The Piémont Way I wouldn't call easy, but there's a switch-down from the Arles Way from close to Maubourguet, with a possible variant via Tarbes, though you'd have to DIY your way to the hiking trail from Tarbes if you wanted to see the city.

There are a few longer North-South options through France, which wouldn't be difficult as they are well West of the Massif Central, all leading eventually to Maubourguet.

The most adventurous would be a Fátima > Lourdes which may one day be waymarked on the Portuguese section, leading to Guarda > Vilar Formoso > Ciudad Rodrigo > Salamanca where you could mostly follow the Camino Torres in "reverse" then > Tordesillas DIY > then various trails > Valladolid > properly Palencia though you could avoid it > Burgos (or variant Palencia > Frómista) > Francès to SJPP > Saint-Palais > Navarrenx > Oloron > Lourdes.

One other easier French route would be on the Arles Way variant route via Béziers > Carcassonne > Toulouse, then on to Maubourguet as above > Lourdes. There's a route more directly from Toulouse, but it leads to the Piémont Way.
Thank you for the info @JabbaPapa . I should have rephrased my question a bit though - when I said "easy" I wasn't really concerned about the difficulty of the route as far as big climbs, descents in the mountains as I've done Primitivo and Via DiFrancesco which are both challenging routes, I was more concerned with is there a route ending in Lourdes that I could walk 10-14 days that is marked, has good infrastructure in where I can come across villages and places to stay and has a good starting point to get easily to? Of those that you mentioned is there 1 in particular that would fit what I'm looking for? Wouldn't have to be a perfect fit but doable at least:)... Thanks again.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I think the best in terms of infrastructure would be via Jaca > Canfranc > Somport > Oloron > Lourdes. And you could easily start from further away than Jaca.
Brilliant! That would be a terrific route. It's easy to fall into the mode that caminos are one way. We were worried when we walked the Ebro backwards, from Logrono to Montserrat. Not a problem. And it was fun to exchange notes about what lies ahead with those going the other direction.

Just one cautionary note: From Oloron to Lourdes is very, very rural. Lovely, but the villages are dead and while the sign posting is good, one can get lost. This is not for a first time camino walker.

I think the best in terms of infrastructure would be via Jaca > Canfranc > Somport > Oloron > Lourdes. And you could easily start from further away than Jaca.

Oof! Somport to Oloron in one day? That’s a very long haul better done in 2-3 days

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Oof! Somport to Oloron in one day? That’s a very long haul better done in 2-3 days
It took us 2 1/2 days doing the uphill walk from Oloron. I would expect it's possible to do this in 2 days since it's all downhill. One day would be a race and would miss so much beauty. I would recommend walking from Somport to Sarrance, staying at the monastery there.

It took us 2 1/2 days doing the uphill walk from Oloron. I would expect it's possible to do this in 2 days since it's all downhill. One day would be a race and would miss so much beauty. I would recommend walking from Somport to Sarrance, staying at the monastery there.
can you tell me is this part of Camino Aragones? looking to pull some info together but not sure what route(or maybe its not part of a camino route but a GR?) to reference that includes - Jaca > Canfranc > Somport > Oloron > Lourdes

That is an excellent question that only someone in authority can answer. When we walked, we got a variety of answers. Some sources told us that the Aragones starts in Oloron. Others emphatically said no; it starts in Somport. Others told us that if you are going to or coming from Lourdes you are on the Tolosana. Others said it's part Tolosana, but mostly Arles.

It didn't really bother us. If you go to Gronze, you can piece it all together without much hassle. To me, Gronze is the bible for caminos. Whatever they say is fine with me as long as they tell me what I need to know.

Can other clarify the nomenclature of the camino or caminos involved in walking from Jaca to Lourdes?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
That is an excellent question that only someone in authority can answer. When we walked, we got a variety of answers. Some sources told us that the Aragones starts in Oloron. Others emphatically said no; it starts in Somport. Others told us that if you are going to or coming from Lourdes you are on the Tolosana. Others said it's part Tolosana, but mostly Arles.

It didn't really bother us. If you go to Gronze, you can piece it all together without much hassle. To me, Gronze is the bible for caminos. Whatever they say is fine with me as long as they tell me what I need to know.

Can other clarify the nomenclature of the camino or caminos involved in walking from Jaca to Lourdes?
Done several camino's and never used Gronze before but sounds like it could be my best friend:). I have heard it mentioned several times - I'll definitely check it out. Thanks.

Done several camino's and never used Gronze before but sounds like it could be my best friend:).
Quite possibly it will be!
But it's only in Spanish. If you use the Chrome browser, it will automatically translate to English or the language of your choice. But, you do need to be careful of place names, as Chrome will also translate those if it can - often with humorous results!

I just noticed that Firefox now has a translation tool in beta.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Lourdes to Oloron: Piemonte
Oloron to Somport: end of the Arles
Somport to Jaca: beginning of Aragon

Gronze has the best info on these lesser-traveled routes.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.