• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Luggage - Does this sound feasible?

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
OK, so here is the rough plan. Will it work?

My wife and I will walk the CF from SJDdP next May/June.

We are going to take it really easy in the first couple of days. We are not that young, or fit.
We don't plan to stay in Albergues, (for a few reasons) but we might try one here and there......... So this impacts our gear list.

So, is this workable?

Day 1. Walk to Orrison with light packs.
Because my wife really feels the cold, we'll have additional layers on hand.
Possibly book there for night 1. So then we'll need to carry sleeping bags.
Or option 2. Return to our Hotel in SJPdP by Taxi from Orrison. Preferred option at this stage I think

Day 2. Taxi to Orrison. Again light packs, with plenty of warm/wet weather gear.
Sending our 'Flight Bag' ahead to Hotel in Roncesvalles. I presume this would be via different transport to the one taking us back up to Orrison.

Flight bag has our 'flying clothes', post Camino tourist clothes, stuff we don't need on the Camino etc.
For option 2.
If we stay at Orrison, have the Flight bag sent ahead on Day 1 keeping our packs as light as possible for Day 1/2 crossing.

Day 3. Sort out our packs for the long haul and send our 'Flight Bag' ahead to Ivar.
This is really the key question I guess.

I understand sending a large bag or suitcase from SJPdP to Ivar is expensive because it is International.
We might also want to ditch gear used for going over the Pyrenees.
By Day 3, we might also have worked out that there are other things we can send forward in the flight bag.

So what location early on the journey in Spain, could we send that flight bag from? I presume it needs to go from a Post Office? So what town/village are we likely to hit first with a Post Office?

Until we hit a suitable despatch location, we would need to have it transported ahead.

Hope that makes sense! OR at least if it is total nonsense, you at least understand the question......:oops:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
OK, so here is the rough plan. Will it work?....
So what location early on the journey in Spain, could we send that flight bag from? I presume it needs to go from a Post Office? So what town/village are we likely to hit first with a Post Office?

Until we hit a suitable despatch location, we would need to have it transported ahead.

Hope that makes sense! OR at least if it is total nonsense, you at least understand the question......:oops:

Pamplona is the first place in Spain with a post office (Correos) having package mailing facilities. Click here for a Google map showing Correos in Pamplona and their addresses.

MM

Last edited:
I think the most effective plan is a combination of elements you have in each option. I would completely discard the idea of carrying sleeping bags. There are 18 beds in Orisson, you sure you cannot get one/two of them? Have a baggage transfer company transfer your luggage to Orisson and then the next day transfer luggage from Orisson to Roncesvalles. I recommend Express Bouricott (Caroline Aphessetche, Email: apcaroline@hotmail.com, phone: (+33) (0)6 61 96 04 76, website: www.expressbourricot.com). Email Caroline; she is very good in answering any questions related to logistics; very experienced as well.

I think your best bet to mail large box/luggage to Ivar is from is Pamplona. Another very reliable company that transfers luggage is Jacotrans ( http://www.jacotrans.com/). Plan your first days and they will work with you. Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Last edited:
OK Robo, here are my $0.02 worth:
1. You want to take it "REALLY easy the first couple of days" by climbing over the Pyrenees? Start in Pamplona instead!
(Much easier to get there, too!)
2. As you plan to use private quarters, you don't need to carry sleeping bags. Take along merino-liners for occasional sleep-overs in Albergues.
3. Arrive with your Camino gear (pack-list attached). When arriving in SdC, buy your lady some new clothes, it will be cheaper than sending stuff around internationally.

Most of all: Keep your Camino plans simple! Enjoy.

Attachments

• CAMINO Packing list_E.pdf
    97.8 KB · Views: 19
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think the most effective plan is a combination of elements you have in each option. I would completely discard the idea of carrying sleeping bags. There are 18 beds in Orisson, you sure you cannot get one/two of them? Have a baggage transfer company transfer your luggage to Orisson and then the next day transfer luggage from Orisson to Roncesvalles. I recommend Express Bouricott (Caroline Aphessetche, Email: apcaroline@hotmail.com, phone: (+33) (0)6 61 96 04 76, website: www.expressbourricot.com). Email Caroline; she is very good in answering any questions related to logistics; very experienced as well.

I think your best bet to mail large box/luggage to Ivar is from is Pamplona. Another very reliable company that transfers luggage is Jacotrans ( http://www.jacotrans.com/). Plan your first days and they will work with you. Buen Camino!

Thanks for this. But..........

If we stay at Orrison, we'll need sleeping bags won't we? If we do plan to stay there, we'll make sure we book well in advance.
I get the luggage transfer to Roncesvalles, but then we need to get our flight bag to SdC.

Just a rough idea at this stage. Might not be practical !

you may take a look at http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/crossing-the-pyrenees-hyperlapse.26568/ just to see how hard crossing the Pyrenees is. shame on me, but my first thought seeing this was rather a bit disappointment, since expecting a bit more challenges. anyway, that is just my purpose to challenge myself why I go. as it has been already said here: you carry only your fears. God bless.

Yes I enjoyed that video. And whilst it certainly looks quite easy, many people say it's hard going. So I'll aim for us to travel light.

OK Robo, here are my $0.02 worth:
1. You want to take it "REALLY easy the first couple of days" by climbing over the Pyrenees? Start in Pamplona instead!
(Much easier to get there, too!)
2. As you plan to use private quarters, you don't need to carry sleeping bags. Take along merino-liners for occasional sleep-overs in Albergues.
3. Arrive with your Camino gear (pack-list attached). When arriving in SdC, buy your lady some new clothes, it will be cheaper than sending stuff around internationally.

Most of all: Keep your Camino plans simple! Enjoy.

LOL. Yes a start in Pamplona would be easier I grant you.
But I would hate to miss the Pyrenees. Hence we'll aim to travel light on Day 1.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
LOL. Yes a start in Pamplona would be easier I grant you.
But I would hate to miss the Pyrenees. Hence we'll aim to travel light on Day 1.
Understood. In that case, I suggest that you book the Hostal Corazón Puro in between Pamplona and Roncesvalles. They will not only pick you up in Pamplona but also taxi you to SJPdP. Leave your heavy stuff there for your return and enjoy the Pyrenees with minimal pack-weight.

Understood. In that case, I suggest that you book the Hostal Corazón Puro in between Pamplona and Roncesvalles. They will not only pick you up in Pamplona but also taxi you to SJPdP. Leave your heavy stuff there for your return and enjoy the Pyrenees with minimal pack-weight.

Thanks Pano. Starting to sound like a workable plan...

If we stay at Orrison, we'll need sleeping bags won't we?
Again, Orisson has 18 beds. Why (...oh, why?) would you even considered dragging a sleeping bag just for a night if planning to sleep on private lodging??? If you do not get beds in Orisson, then I believe the Corazon Puro stay option is a real good suggestion. I think you need to step on it, make a decision and move on. ;)..and yes, if your heart is set on SJPDP, then that's where you should start from.
I get the luggage transfer to Roncesvalles, but then we need to get our flight bag to SdC.
Both companies I provided will continue to pick-up and transfer to ANY TOWN between Roncesvalles and Pamplona. They have an extensive list of pick-up/drop off points and you just have to leave the luggage by 8am at the pick-up point. Once in Pamplona, get to a post office and do what you have to do.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
When arriving in SdC, buy your lady some new clothes, it will be cheaper than sending stuff around internationally.

Not sure what your plans are before or after the Camino, but Pano is 100% correct that it will be much cheaper for you to buy everything in Santiago. You are coming from a long way, so shipping can be expensive. Anything you need is available in Santiago. We went to the mall there and bought clothes at Zara for the city and the return trip.

All the logistics you are planning will make the trip too stressful. Just take what you need for the Camino, and use one of the baggage transfer companies to have your packs meet you along the way till you are comfortable with the walking. Otherwise there becomes too many variables for something to go wrong.

Rambler

Where are you flying in to Robo? If you have not booked tickets, yet - I'd suggest Madrid. Then - take the train to Santiago, leave your luggage there - stay overnight, skip the Pilgrim sites, just recover from flight and have a good nights sleep. The next day make your way to SJPP with bus/train, or stop in Pamplona and arrange a pick up with Corazon and they'll drop you off in SJPP the next day. Coming to Santiago as a "tourist" and as a "pilgrim" are two very different experiences in my opinion, and I do not think that seeing some of the buildings when tired/jetlagged will detract from the experience of arriving there a month later as a pilgrim.

As for sleeping bag - I would bring a lightweight one for your wife. Though I am from Norway, I do not like the cold, and detest feeling cold. I am often colder in Spain (and southern Europe in general) than what I am in Norway. Most houses in Norway has very good heating systems and awesome down duvets, the same cannot be said for many places in Southern Europe. When I walked from Le Puy I'd just arrived back in Europe after spending the last 2 years mainly in SE Asia. I was fine when walking, but arriving at gite's/albergues/refugios I was almost always cold. The last time I used my down vest my last evening in Finisterra the 1st week of July. I used my sleeping bag for extra warmth half the time, and I used a mixture of accommodation.

If you can, get your wife some long-johns and long sleeved underwear in a wool or wool/silk combo. My solution to cold nights was wearing my long woolly underwear, do some jumping jacks (to get body heat going), then lay down in the middle of my down sleeping bag (which often had a tower of blankets on top of it).

Whilst the Camino will bring challenges there's no point in inviting misery;)

Hello Robo,

Walked the Camono Frances with my wife last year day one stayed at Orisson and we were lucky enough to be given a twin bed with sheets and blankets.
Greg

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
We don't plan to stay in Albergues, (for a few reasons) but we might try one here and there......... So this impacts our gear list.

So, is this workable?

Day 1. Walk to Orrison with light packs.
Because my wife really feels the cold, we'll have additional layers on hand.
Possibly book there for night 1. So then we'll need to carry sleeping bags.
Or option 2. Return to our Hotel in SJPdP by Taxi from Orrison. Preferred option at this stage I think

:

I know you have responses to your question with various suggestions about luggage and starting in Pamplona, but just to add another option, if it is the albergue on the first night that is causing you problems, there is a chambre d'hotes (bed and breakfast) at Hunto. It is not as far up the mountain as Orisson but gets you over the first 8 very strenuous kilometres making a longish but reasonable next day. Obviously all bedding is provided and the owner is an excellent French cook so you get a really delicious dinner and decent (French style) breakfast. Be sure to book "demi-pension" and ask for "une chambre" not the gite d'étape.

http://www.gites-de-france-64.com/chambre-ithurburia/
PM me if you want to discuss on the phone - I'm in Sydney.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I know you have responses to your question with various suggestions about luggage and starting in Pamplona, but just to add another option, if it is the albergue on the first night that is causing you problems, there is a chambre d'hotes (bed and breakfast) at Hunto. It is not as far up the mountain as Orisson but gets you over the first 8 very strenuous kilometres making a longish but reasonable next day. Obviously all bedding is provided and the owner is an excellent French cook so you get a really delicious dinner and decent (French style) breakfast. Be sure to book "demi-pension" and ask for "une chambre" not the gite d'étape.

http://www.gites-de-france-64.com/chambre-ithurburia/
PM me if you want to discuss on the phone - I'm in Sydney.

Thanks Kanga, another very good option. Hopefully we'll get to meet at one of the Sydney 'gatherings'.

It probably sounds to all that I am over complicating this. And I probably am! I just wanted to bounce around a few options to see what might be feasible.

We really do want to start in SJPdP. I guess my worry is, that whilst I 'kind of' know what I am getting into (spent 20 years in a former life hiking with 30-40kg packs and other 'equipment') my concern is not to create 'Camino Shock' for my wife. She has been a city girl all her life and is not an outdoors type at all ;) (also used to a tropical climate).

I just figure that if I make sure she is as dry and warm as possible, and her load is light.........particularly in those early days, she'll cope really well. We'll make it :) A bad first couple of days, and our Camino might end up being a coach tour of Europe :(

We actually joke that we might be the couple you all talk about! And how we don't want to be :eek:
Based on reading a story on here about a family that 'fell out'. Kids sat on the steps, parents hurling their packs across the road at each other...............

So I reckon
Happy Wife....Happy Life!

I really appreciate all the suggestions on this thread. From all of this advice..........we'll come up with our plan for the first 2-3 days, with the aim of easing into it gradually. From there.........anything goes and we 'go with the flow'.
I'm sure after 2 weeks, I'll be trying to keep up with her! Once she gets the bit between her teeth.

Where are you flying in to Robo? If you have not booked tickets, yet - I'd suggest Madrid. Then - take the train to Santiago, leave your luggage there - stay overnight, skip the Pilgrim sites, just recover from flight and have a good nights sleep. The next day make your way to SJPP with bus/train, or stop in Pamplona and arrange a pick up with Corazon and they'll drop you off in SJPP the next day. Coming to Santiago as a "tourist" and as a "pilgrim" are two very different experiences in my opinion, and I do not think that seeing some of the buildings when tired/jetlagged will detract from the experience of arriving there a month later as a pilgrim.

As for sleeping bag - I would bring a lightweight one for your wife. Though I am from Norway, I do not like the cold, and detest feeling cold. I am often colder in Spain (and southern Europe in general) than what I am in Norway. Most houses in Norway has very good heating systems and awesome down duvets, the same cannot be said for many places in Southern Europe. When I walked from Le Puy I'd just arrived back in Europe after spending the last 2 years mainly in SE Asia. I was fine when walking, but arriving at gite's/albergues/refugios I was almost always cold. The last time I used my down vest my last evening in Finisterra the 1st week of July. I used my sleeping bag for extra warmth half the time, and I used a mixture of accommodation.

If you can, get your wife some long-johns and long sleeved underwear in a wool or wool/silk combo. My solution to cold nights was wearing my long woolly underwear, do some jumping jacks (to get body heat going), then lay down in the middle of my down sleeping bag (which often had a tower of blankets on top of it).

Whilst the Camino will bring challenges there's no point in inviting misery;)

I'm with you on this. Anyone can be uncomfortable!
She's already just been equipped with thermal long johns and long sleeved top.
Yep.........this woman feels the cold like a Kalahari Tribesmen swimming the English Channel.........in mid Winter :eek:
When it reaches 30C +, she might take her fleece off.......

Maybe I need to boost her BMI?

We have in our ever growing Camino kit, some lightweight sleeping bags. 5C weighing in at 590g. So taking just one might be a good idea. (She might need it in a Hotel as a Duvet!)
And if I just take a liner, that gives us the Albergue option too if required.

We may end up just travelling really light and not taking anything extra. i.e. do any tourist stuff at the end in our Camino clothes or if they have fallen apart, buy something..

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
No one ever mentions the Ferme Ithurburia in Huntto - is this because it's shut? Anyone out there who knows, please say. Otherwise, Robo, this could be your choice, as it's only 5km uphill from St Jean Pied de Port and with b&b-style accommodation. It's where I stayed before crossing the Pyrenees, and it does get the tricky first ascent out of the way. Like others, I then found the actual mountain crossing the next day surprisingly quick and easy.
Do try to travel light, and let go of what you have convinced yourself is necessary - letting go is an important aspect of pilgrimage.
And I absolutely agree with those who say ditch the travelling clothes/suitcase and buy new in Santiago. The new town in Santiago is well equipped with all kinds of shops (its greengrocers are a particular joy) and it's a real pleasure to buy clean, new clothes after weeks on the road. It's also likely that your old clothes will be one size too big by the time you finish your walk, so it's a good chance to buy something new that actually fits!

It's also likely that your old clothes will be one size too big by the time you finish your walk, so it's a good chance to buy something new that actually fits!
Metropolly, you are so right!
I totally forgot how much weight I lost! I went down a size in pants and shirt.

Wished I had kept it all off...

Rambler

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.