• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid to Pamplona

thetravellingpen

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2014
Hi all
The best flights I can get from Thailand to Madrid seem to land after 8:30pm. What's the best way to get to Pamplona? Idea on prices and times please?
Train, bus or budget airline? Would I need to spend the night in Madrid or are there late night trains?
Thank you in advance.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I recommend getting a Hostel in Madrid (you can find them for less than €30) that night and then take the train in the morning to Pamplona and go with Corazon Puro for transportation to SJPDP if you want to start there.

The best way from Madrid to Pamplona is probably to walk Camino de Madrid to Sahagun and Camino Frances to Pamplona (albeit in the 'wrong' direction)

Renfe provides train service ... approx 3 hours. Trains to Pamplona typically leave from Puerta de Atocha Madrid. Some trains require transfer at Zaragosa.

ALSA provides bus service ... approx 5 hours with transfer at Soria. Some buses leave from T4 Barajas and more from Avenida de America station in Madrid.

Your choice of train or bus depends on preferences and timings.

Prices are variable depending on date and time of travel ... see the company websites.

I don't know if there are any buses or trains leaving that late. Check the company websites for the schedules.

You'll likely need to find accomodation. (Even if you do find bus or train what will you do when you arrive in Pamplona in the wee hours? Nothing will be open.) (and after flying from Thailand you'll likely badly want to sleep) There are hotels in the vicinity of Puerta de Atocha ... see the SOL district. 60 - 80 euro. I stayed at a place called Chic and Basic and would recommend it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you! Going in July, and the bus schedule didn't go that far ahead... so will have to wait and see. I think trains are safer... seen too many bus accidents in Africa and Thailand, perhaps Europe is different.
Do you think it's necessary to book the train? I'm going to start walking from Pamplona.

Hi, travellingpen,

If you arrive at night, you will miss the last bus (around 19:45) and the last train (about the same, at least based on current schedules). So your choice at that point is going to be to either go into Madrid for the night or wait at the airport to catch a bus at 1 am for Pamplona, arriving early in the morning. I don't think it's dangerous to travel on the bus, it's really just a question whether you will be comfortable.

I don't know if you are familiar with Madrid or not, but getting into the center is quite easy from the airport (various posts on this topic but if you need specific advice, just ask). And the dinner hour doesn't even get started till after 10 pm, so you won't need to worry about walking around central Madrid alone at that hour.

Thank you! Will stay a night then and leave for Pamplona the next morning... wanted to start walking as soon as possible, to rather leave the down time for when I need it, midway or at the end - as I have limited time.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I think I will have to do the same thing (stay in Madrid one night) since my plane arrives at 2:20pm and the bus to Pamplona leaves at 3:15 pm. If my plane is late I'll miss the bus and I don't think it makes sense to try to get the next bus because I will arrive too late to Pamplona.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back